Author Topic: Using a build service to setup a continuous integration  (Read 7422 times)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Using a build service to setup a continuous integration
« on: January 16, 2016, 11:12:17 pm »
I'm experimenting with appveyor. I'm trying to setup an automated build of codeblocks on Windows, but I'm failing.
It seems that it is showing some dialog and it gets stuck waiting for the user.

This is the link to the project https://ci.appveyor.com/project/obfuscated/codeblocks-sf and you can check the logs.
I'm using a self build CB. This build is special, because I've modified the src target to be a console application, but it still doesn't work.

Any idea how to prevent this problem or what is going on?
I'll probably try to contact support next week, but I don't have high hopes...

(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Using a build service to setup a continuous integration
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 02:46:03 am »
If you post a Git link to the CB console code; I can try and see if it works on my PC.
The main thing is I would remove all places where it tries to auto-detect compiler locations because that causes me the most problems with the GUI Code::Blocks locking up.

Edit: It will likely lockup on the command "git svn info" called as a pre-step to SDK.
Edit2: Steps I use to get svn info to work in MSys2 Git.
https://github.com/stahta01/cb_misc/blob/master/Notes/Fix%20Git%20SVN%20information%20steps.txt

Tim S.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:52:31 am by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 04:26:40 am »
Hi, OBF, is the build service free? I'm interested in this kind of buildbot, because my PC is too old and too slow. :)
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 10:52:34 am »
Yes, for opensource projects, but it cannot replace a local machine. It is not fast and also there is a 1 hour job limit.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 10:57:43 am »
Yes, for opensource projects, but it cannot replace a local machine. It is not fast and also there is a 1 hour job limit.
I have no idea with appveyor directly, but I am using Travis (https://travis-ci.org/) which is based on it alongside a project that uses CMAKE for the build. This is quite simple to setup and working good so far. unfortunately I never tried C::B with it.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 11:06:07 am »
Yep, Travis is the next thing I'll try to setup.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 11:11:32 am »
Edit: It will likely lockup on the command "git svn info" called as a pre-step to SDK.

I also think that is the block here... On my windows machine this command takes up to 45min... I posted in one thread a patch to fix this command (don't use git svn info in a git repository, but use the hash as a revision string) in AutoRevision, but probably this is lost in the void...
For a quick test you can remove this command from the prebuild steps..

greetings

PS.: there should be a command line switch that forwards all from the build log to the stdout... (Isn't this standard in linux)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 05:42:54 pm »

I also think that is the block here... On my windows machine this command takes up to 45min... I posted in one thread a patch to fix this command (don't use git svn info in a git repository, but use the hash as a revision string) in AutoRevision, but probably this is lost in the void...
For a quick test you can remove this command from the prebuild steps..
This is no longer the case. See some of the commits in trunk. :)

PS.: there should be a command line switch that forwards all from the build log to the stdout... (Isn't this standard in linux)
This is not possible on windows. An app is a console or gui, but not both. This is also fix by using my custom build.

Also I'm using a premade config, so no compiler detection should happen. I've found they provide rdp access, so I'll try it...