Author Topic: Problem installing Code::Blocks  (Read 5275 times)

Offline adajags

• Single posting newcomer
Problem installing Code::Blocks
« on: December 28, 2015, 11:03:46 pm »
I have gone through the whole process for installing Code::Blocks, so two installation wizards, but at the end I was given an error message.  It read ‘Couldn’t create the project directory’.  I live where I work and my computer is linked to the work server.  I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem.  Does anyone know how to overcome this problem?

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
Re: Problem installing Code::Blocks
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 11:10:50 pm »
Are you trying to save your project to a mapped network drive of some kind or on your local storage?

Offline adajags

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 11:17:26 pm »
I'm trying to save it to my desktop, in a new folder I've called CB.  I don't know where the files in my desktop are stored, sorry.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 11:29:30 pm »
Er, wait, I misread that.  I thought you said that when you tried to save a Code::Blocks project then you received an error.  You are actually receiving the error during the installation of Code::Blocks itself?  If so, uninstall what you have if it is listed in your "Programs and Features" Control Panel applet, and then once you go to reinstall Code::Blocks instead of just double-clicking the installer, right-click on it and choose "run as administrator" for the installation.  If you are running into User Access Control problems (UAC) then that should do the trick.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 11:30:36 pm »
And if Code::Blocks is running correctly then as a sanity check try to save a project in "C:\CB" - create that folder if it doesn't already exist.  This is also checking to see if UAC is the culprit.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 11:43:33 pm »
It read ‘Couldn’t create the project directory’.
Can you create the same directory in explorer?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline adajags

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 11:47:32 pm »
Thanks for your quick reply.  But guess what?  I don't appear to be able to uninstall the program either.  I clicked the uninstall button on CodeBlocks listed in programs and features in the Control Panel but I was given the following message:  'Warning: C:Program files (x86)\CodeBlocks could not be removed.  (Probably missing access rights?)'  Grrrr!
I'll try creating the directory in Explorer - if I can - as another reply has suggested.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 12:02:46 am »
Does the user you are logged in as have administrative rights?  If not, then you need to log in as a user that does.

What version of Windows are you using?  That would help me provide help to you.