Author Topic: Compiling wxWidgets 2.8.12 with MinGW-Builds 5.2.0 for use in CodeBlocks Windows  (Read 9792 times)

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
MinGW-Builds can be found: Here in either "Toolchains targetting Win32/64" and then "Personal Builds" and "mingw-builds" then 5.2.0 and then your threading and exception preferences.

To build Code::Blocks from SVN, you generally follow the instructions: Here.

The problem is that with MinGW-Builds 5.2.0 the compilation will fail while building wxWidgets 2.8.12.  Just fail.  Goodbye, try again.

I have been dealing with this issue, and as a result have had to use the provided nightlies for quite the while, but now after much persistence I have found the solution.

See: Here.

In the file: \path\to\mingw32\i686-w64-mingw32\include\commctrl.h

(Or 64 bit 5.2.0: \path\to\mingw64\x86_64-w64-mingw32\include\commctrl.h)

Find the _WIN32_IE 0x0501 definition block and make it look exactly like this:

Code
ifndef WINRESRC
ifndef _WIN32_IE
//#define _WIN32_IE 0x0501
endif
endif
#define _WIN32_IE 0x0603

Now, wxWidgets on MinGW-Builds 5.2.0 will compile and then you can move onto compiling Code::Blocks itself.  And there was much rejoicing.  :)

You can even build wxWidgets in 64 bit (using "CFG=64" on its build line) MinGW 5.2.0 BUT there is no 64 bit vanilla project in the Code::Blocks source to go from there.

I used these exact lines in config.gcc for wxWidgets:

Code
# Standard flags for CC 
CFLAGS ?= -fno-keep-inline-dllexport

# Standard flags for C++
CXXFLAGS ?= -fno-keep-inline-dllexport -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive

I'm pretty happy now, the only thing that could make things even better is if a 64 bit codeblocks.cbp project was added to the trunk source so I could go full 64 bit with everything.  ;) :)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Code
# Standard flags for CC 
CFLAGS ?= -fno-keep-inline-dllexport

# Standard flags for C++
CXXFLAGS ?= -fno-keep-inline-dllexport -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive
Why don't you expand this to:
Code
# Standard flags for CC 
CFLAGS ?= -D_WIN32_IE=0x0603 -fno-keep-inline-dllexport

# Standard flags for C++
CXXFLAGS ?= -D_WIN32_IE=0x0603 -fno-keep-inline-dllexport -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive
?

This would avoid to patch the source files.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
I didn't do it simply because of ignorance that it could be done.  Thank you for the tip, I'm going to go do a test compile right now.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
Built successfully, thank you again.  I bumped -std=gnu++11 up to -std=gnu++14 too with no adverse affects.  May not even need that but I'm not concerned over it. ;)

May I ask however is that is there a simple method to modify the codeblocks.cbp and contributor's plugin workspace to target 64 bit?  Compilation fails with the regular workspace when using a 64 bit compiler toolchain.  Also, right now the only 64 bit projects use wx 3.0.x and that version of wx while I can compile it fine just doesn't work for me.  The cursor caret in an editor window with it does not behave properly.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
May I ask however is that is there a simple method to modify the codeblocks.cbp and contributor's plugin workspace to target 64 bit?
Whats wrong with the 64 bit workspace (CodeBlocks_wx30_64.cbp) ?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
What do you mean by 'does not behave properly'?
If there is bug in these kind of builds, we need to fix them. So please report!
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
What happens on my system, I can compile wxWidgets 3.0.2 64 bit with no errors.  Then I can build codeblocks wx 30 64 also with no errors.  Run it, it loads fine.  However, open a text window the cursor caret does not behave properly.  If you go up or down a line it may leave an old cursor bar graphic there, or up or down, left or right, all the arrow keys: it either leaves a artifact or does not update.  Either graphical garbage or an invisible caret.  No errors are thrown at all that I am aware of.  It just doesn't work like it's supposed to.

I am not a technical expert so I do not know where to begin troubleshooting that.  If you provide a concrete list of steps to try and report the results of then I would gladly do them.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Can you build the stc sample in the <wxroot>/samples/stc and try if it behaves the same?
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
Found the root cause and some issues in the latest SVN.

First of all, SVN 10625 errors when compiling with wx 3.0.2:

http://i.imgur.com/yexc1qM.jpg

Going back to SVN 10623 compiling with wx 3.0.2 succeeds.

Now, I found the fix for the issue.  wxWidgets 3.0.2 has to be build with the CFG=64 option:

Code
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc CFG=64 SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1 BUILD=release UNICODE=1

Also, in config.gcc I did no keep inline and -std=gnu++11

And then the codeblocks wx 3.0.x 64 bit project -> build options -> custom variables, WX_CFG has to be given to value "64"

Then the project will compile fine and most importantly, the cursor caret in the editor window now works correctly.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
Arg, no dammit, still issues.  Now the cursor works fine until you scroll within source code.  I don't have enough time to build the sample to test that out before I head off to work.  Tomorrow after work I'll have time to try that then.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
Can you build the stc sample in the <wxroot>/samples/stc and try if it behaves the same?

Ok, it wasn't as involved as I thought it would be to compile that test program.  With CFG=64, and the exact same compilation of the library that does not work correctly in Code::Blocks -> the stc sample works completely correct.  I scrolled around, added and removed characters, everything - it works fine.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Unpleasant. :(

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
Subsequent posts from this thread were split into: This thread.