Author Topic: Very poor perfomance in large projects: slow file save, slow project open  (Read 7722 times)

ANM

I try to use Code::Blocks for my project. It's consists of about 500 C++ files (94587 lines of code).
I found that Code::Blocks has very poor perfomance on my project.
Some statistics:
42 seconds for project's opening.
5 minutes for building symbols.
17 seconds for file's saving!!! It's incredible!!!

I hope that Code::Blocks can be used not only for "Hello world" projects.
Do you plan to improve performance?

sethjackson

I try to use Code::Blocks for my project. It's consists of about 500 C++ files (94587 lines of code).
I found that Code::Blocks has very poor perfomance on my project.
Some statistics:
42 seconds for project's opening.
5 minutes for building symbols.
17 seconds for file's saving!!! It's incredible!!!

I hope that Code::Blocks can be used not only for "Hello world" projects.
Do you plan to improve performance?

Do you happen to have codecompletion running?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
This has nothing to do with Code::Blocks as such.

It is a known issue with the code completion plugin. If you disable that plugin, you will see that everything works practically instantanous.
The code completion plugin is being worked on to improve this problem.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Hello,

Which C::B release are you using? Which OS?

Michael

sethjackson

This has nothing to do with Code::Blocks as such.

It is a known issue with the code completion plugin. If you disable that plugin, you will see that everything works practically instantanous.
The code completion plugin is being worked on to improve this problem.

Thomas did you reply the same time I did?  :lol:

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
If you disable that plugin, you will see that everything works practically instantanous.

Yes, you are right. I have disabled it and tried to open C::B project (normally it always takes seconds to open) --> practically instantanous.

Michael

[EDIT] I have remarked that even if you do nothing (in Plugins-->Manage plugins) and then press ok, an information dialog appears saying that "Changes will take effect on the next startup". But this dialog should not appear, because I did nothing :?.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 07:09:53 pm by Michael »

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
ANM: Please answer this: Are you using the "Release Candidate 2" version of Code::Blocks (the one in the downloads page), or one of the newest nightly builds?

ANM

CPU: Athlon XP 1800
RAM: 256 MB RAM
Code::Blocks: 1.0rc2

Yes, code completion plugin slow down Code::Blocks. I hope that perfomance will be improved.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Code::Blocks: 1.0rc2

May be you can give a try to the latest nightly build or build C::B SVN from the sources and see if it works better for your project.

Michael

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Yes, I have optimized the parsing in the latest builds. I had broken the codecompletion functionality while doing that, but Yiannis got it fixed today :-)

Saving files now takes at most 1 second delay, and i'm working on fixing that, too!