Author Topic: What is allowed to discuss in this forum?  (Read 5893 times)

Offline jmb

• Multiple posting newcomer
What is allowed to discuss in this forum?
« on: January 02, 2016, 08:13:34 pm »
Hi

I am a bit disappointed.  Jens closed my Thread : http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,20820.0.html

The descrition of that part of the forum is explicitly for questions about the usage of codeblocks.

It is a bit restrictive, to disallow to search help in a forum of programmers, who are using codeblocks.

Was my question too complicated to be answered?

Linux Mint, Cinnamon 19.3 , Code::Blocks 20.03

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: What is allowed to discuss in this forum?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 08:30:22 pm »
Please (re-)read the forum rules: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,9996.0.html .

In your case especially:
This post is here to assist you in your Code::Blocks / C++ blues, by telling you what NOT to do. This is not to frighten you, but unfortunately we have to be that strict due to continuous mis-use and dis-respect.
[...]

2. Compiler/Linker errors are NOT Code::Blocks errors. Usually, C++ newcomers tend to confuse the Editor/IDE (Code::Blocks) with the Compiler (MINGW / GCC). You may see some errors in the compiler output because you missed to do something right in your code. But that's not Code::Blocks troubleshooting, that's C++ troubleshooting and does not belong in here. If your program doesn't compile, READ THE C++ MANUAL.

3. Is your problem library, framework specific? There are appropriate forums for it, not the Code::Blocks forum.

[...]

Finale note: Ignoring these rules may result in the topic being (silently) locked and/or even removed completely without any notice.

In case you wonder why we are so strict: I could say: "Search the forum" - as this has been discussed a lot. To make is short: By law we (the devs/moderators) are responsible for the content of our forum. This means we need to read all posts. If you want us to continue the development of C::B and have the time to answer some of the questions that are really related to C::B, apply the rules above. It's obviously a matter of time for us.

More general help how to use our forum you'll find here, too.

You accepted to follow these rules when registering here !

Offline jmb

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 08:37:17 pm »
I am not interested in a ping-pong-discussion.

But my question belongs very clear to the category "usage of codeblocks". My hope was, that another programmer runs into
the same problem and was able to solve it.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 09:48:18 pm »
I am not interested in a ping-pong-discussion.

But my question belongs very clear to the category "usage of codeblocks". My hope was, that another programmer runs into
the same problem and was able to solve it.

You are wrong!!
Your question had to do with how to program using an function/API.

The answer to your question would be based on the Compiler and Operating System (OS) the answer would NOT very if a different IDE was used; Therefore it is way off topic for this Website for questions like that I suggest using http://cboard.cprogramming.com/forum.php Website.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline jmb

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:06:15 pm »

You are wrong!!
Your question had to do with how to program using an function/API.

ok, I see it different. I downloaded codeblocks, installed it, and simply had a question how to make it fit for windows.

I will read some threads here to try to understand, what the sense of a codeblock-forum is.

I suggest using http://cboard.cprogramming.com/forum.php Website.

Thank you. I will have a look.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 10:11:38 pm »
ok, I see it different. I downloaded codeblocks, installed it, and simply had a question how to make it fit for windows.

As I posted in the other (locked) thread, you make the same error as many others.

Please note: Code::Blocks is "just" an IDE, that works with many compilers and toolkits, not a compiler itseld !
And the fact, that we ship a version (only on windows) bundled with a compiler for the users convenience does not change this.

Offline jmb

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 10:19:15 pm »

As I posted in the other (locked) thread, you make the same error as many others.

Please note: Code::Blocks is "just" an IDE, that works with many compilers and toolkits, not a compiler itseld !
And the fact, that we ship a version (only on windows) bundled with a compiler for the users convenience does not change this.

It is always a good idea, to avoid chaos. And you mentioned earlier, that admins and moderators have to read every posting.
So I understand, why rules are important.

As I said, i will "study" some threads here. At this very moment, I cannot see my "error".

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 10:31:48 pm »

It is always a good idea, to avoid chaos. And you mentioned earlier, that admins and moderators have to read every posting.
So I understand, why rules are important.

As I said, i will "study" some threads here. At this very moment, I cannot see my "error".

See: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/MinGW_installation#Alternative_MinGW_Compilers

Try the MinGW-Builds 5.3.0 compiler toolchain.  It has winuser.h in its include directory.  General instructions for using an alternative compiler are on that page - it you need any assistance setting it up then do not hesitate to ask me.  If that is not permitted in this thread then PM me in that case.

Offline jmb

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 10:46:33 pm »

See: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/MinGW_installation#Alternative_MinGW_Compilers

Try the MinGW-Builds 5.3.0 compiler toolchain.  It has winuser.h in its include directory.  General instructions for using an alternative compiler are on that page - it you need any assistance setting it up then do not hesitate to ask me.  If that is not permitted in this thread then PM me in that case.

Great !  Thank you. I will have a look.

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 10:48:05 pm »
Great !  Thank you. I will have a look.

Right on, you're welcome.  :)