Author Topic: CB with MinGW x64 and wxWidgets: linker can't find wxmsw30  (Read 14898 times)

Offline Searinox

• Multiple posting newcomer
CB with MinGW x64 and wxWidgets: linker can't find wxmsw30
« on: October 15, 2015, 07:20:45 pm »
Hello,

I have been successfully been using C::B with MinGW x32 and wxWidgets in the past. I recently installed MinGW x64 and I can get console applications to compile, but I am having issues with wxWidgets applications. The compile log says this:

||=== Build: Debug in test2gui (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler) ===|
ld.exe||cannot find -lwxmsw30u|
||=== Build failed: 1 error(s), 0 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 0 second(s)) ===|

There are another two threads on this topic on the forum, I have tried following advice from both but without success. Please tell me what other info I can provide. Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:39:02 am by Searinox »

Offline ouch

• Almost regular
Re: CB with MinGW x64 and wxWidgets: cannot compile projects
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:28:22 pm »
The linker can't find the wxWidgets library is all. Be sure to add it's location to your linker search directories in the build options.

But this is not a Code Blocks issue, its a compiler and linker issue, as such you would get better help at someplace like Stackoverflow.

Offline Searinox

Re: CB with MinGW x64 and wxWidgets: cannot compile projects
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 10:21:48 am »
I have gone insane adding the library folders and subfolders to each search path in compiler settings and project, linker, resource compiler, everything, including the "wxWidgets\lib\gcc_dll\libwxmsw30u.a" file itself, paths both relative and absolute, and each one at a time, as well as every other place where its path could possibly be set and still the error will not go away. I know where the file is and I've set it to just about every path I could.

Are there any logs of any kind that I could look up to see what exactly the linker is trying to do?

I know for a fact that it AT LEAST stumbles upon the file, maybe it doesn't understand what it's found?!

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:28:04 am by Searinox »

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: CB with MinGW x64 and wxWidgets: linker can't find wxmsw30
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 05:35:04 pm »
Did you build wxWidgets 3.0 using your MinGW x64 Compiler?

If not, then why do you think it will work without having the wxWidgets 3.0 library on your system!

If yes, how did you build it?

Tim S.

C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Searinox

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 05:28:26 pm »
MinGW x64 is set up and working - I can compile x64 command line applications with it.

wxWidgets was compiled using "mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc BUILD=release SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1 UNICODE=1". This was also repeated for BUILD=debug. The debug gives an error about the same library but with an added "d" at the end. Am I using the wrong maker and is there another I need to use?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Searinox

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 09:37:07 pm »
The library exists right down to the files which can be seen in folder and which I have posted that ld.exe actually finds in its scan in the previous post's screenshot. I can't find anything I haven't done right there. So right now the only thing I can think about is having badly compiled the lib. Oh why oh why does hooking up a popular library with a standard non-exotic setup have to be such rocket science?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 10:05:16 pm »
Because c++ programming is hard. If you want it to be simple try javascript or c# 8)
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Searinox

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 11:24:08 pm »
How am I going to code even C# if the IDE and libraries won't play nice? There are a million different ways to have them compiled, recommended on a million different sites. There's no standardization anywhere, and you have to wait %number_of_minutes% for them to build before you can even figure out if they work. All I wanted to do was port my projects onto x64 because x32 is only legacy at this point and I wish a lot more projects and environments started employing x64 to work right out of the box. Instead... this. I cannot even compile hello world.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 11:27:57 pm by Searinox »

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 12:29:19 am »
If you want help, post a full rebuild log showing the problem.

Tim S.
--

Offline Searinox

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 05:55:42 pm »
I set up MinGW64, tested it working with a console app, compiled the libraries with "mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc CFG=64 BUILD=release SHARED=0 MONOLITHIC=1 UNICODE=1" and then again with BUILD=debug, which produced the folder "E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64". Then created a new blank wxWidgets project and hit compile.

Code
||=== Build: Debug in qq (compiler: GNU GCC64 Compiler) ===|
D:\Personal\CodeBlocks\qq\qqApp.cpp|33|warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryValidator(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]|
E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\include\wx\event.h|3683|note: declared here|
E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\include\wx\defs.h|615|note: in definition of macro 'wxDEPRECATED'|
E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\include\wx\event.h|3682|note: in expansion of macro 'wxDEPRECATED_BUT_USED_INTERNALLY_INLINE'|
D:\Personal\CodeBlocks\qq\qqApp.cpp|33|warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryParent(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]|
E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\include\wx\event.h|3686|note: declared here|
E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\include\wx\defs.h|615|note: in definition of macro 'wxDEPRECATED'|
E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\include\wx\event.h|3685|note: in expansion of macro 'wxDEPRECATED_BUT_USED_INTERNALLY_INLINE'|
D:\Personal\CodeBlocks\qq\qqMain.cpp|102|warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryValidator(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]|
E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\include\wx\event.h|3682|note: in expansion of macro 'wxDEPRECATED_BUT_USED_INTERNALLY_INLINE'|
D:\Personal\CodeBlocks\qq\qqMain.cpp|102|warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryParent(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]|
E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\include\wx\event.h|3685|note: in expansion of macro 'wxDEPRECATED_BUT_USED_INTERNALLY_INLINE'|
D:\Personal\CodeBlocks\qq\qqMain.cpp|102|warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::SetVirtualSizeHints(int, int, int, int)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]|
E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\include\wx\window.h|459|note: declared here|
D:\Personal\CodeBlocks\qq\qqMain.cpp|102|warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::MakeModal(bool)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]|
E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\include\wx\window.h|688|note: declared here|
D:\Personal\CodeBlocks\qq\qqMain.cpp|102|warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::SetInitialBestSize(const wxSize&)' is deprecated: use SetInitialSize() instead. [-Wdeprecated-declarations]|
E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\include\wx\window.h|1872|note: declared here|
D:\Personal\CodeBlocks\qq\qqMain.cpp|102|warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryValidator(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]|
D:\Personal\CodeBlocks\qq\qqMain.cpp|102|warning: 'virtual bool wxEvtHandler::TryParent(wxEvent&)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]|
D:\Personal\CodeBlocks\qq\qqMain.cpp|102|warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::SetVirtualSizeHints(int, int, int, int)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]|
D:\Personal\CodeBlocks\qq\qqMain.cpp|102|warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::MakeModal(bool)' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]|
D:\Personal\CodeBlocks\qq\qqMain.cpp|102|warning: 'virtual void wxWindowBase::SetInitialBestSize(const wxSize&)' is deprecated: use SetInitialSize() instead. [-Wdeprecated-declarations]|
ld.exe||cannot find -lwxmsw30u|
ld.exe||cannot find -lwxpng|
ld.exe||cannot find -lwxjpeg|
ld.exe||cannot find -lwxtiff|
ld.exe||cannot find -lwxzlib|
ld.exe||cannot find E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64\mswu: Permission denied|
ld.exe||cannot find E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64\mswud: Permission denied|
||=== Build failed: 7 error(s), 22 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 10 second(s)) ===|

I found this

Code

-------------- Build: Debug in qq (compiler: GNU GCC64 Compiler)---------------

x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++.exe -LE:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib -LE:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64 -o bin\Debug\qq.exe obj\Debug\qqApp.o obj\Debug\qqMain.o  obj\Debug\resource.res -mthreads  -lwxmsw30u -lwxpng -lwxjpeg -lwxtiff -lwxzlib -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lwinspool -lcomdlg32 -ladvapi32 -lshell32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lcomctl32 -lwsock32 -lodbc32 -mwindows
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw30u.a when searching for -lwxmsw30u
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib\libwxmsw30u.a when searching for -lwxmsw30u
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64/libwxmsw30u.a when searching for -lwxmsw30u
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64\libwxmsw30u.a when searching for -lwxmsw30u
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib/libwxmsw30u.a when searching for -lwxmsw30u
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64/libwxmsw30u.a when searching for -lwxmsw30u
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lwxmsw30u
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib/libwxpng.a when searching for -lwxpng
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib\libwxpng.a when searching for -lwxpng
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64/libwxpng.a when searching for -lwxpng
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64\libwxpng.a when searching for -lwxpng
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib/libwxpng.a when searching for -lwxpng
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64/libwxpng.a when searching for -lwxpng
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lwxpng
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib/libwxjpeg.a when searching for -lwxjpeg
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib\libwxjpeg.a when searching for -lwxjpeg
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64/libwxjpeg.a when searching for -lwxjpeg
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64\libwxjpeg.a when searching for -lwxjpeg
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib/libwxjpeg.a when searching for -lwxjpeg
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64/libwxjpeg.a when searching for -lwxjpeg
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lwxjpeg
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib/libwxtiff.a when searching for -lwxtiff
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib\libwxtiff.a when searching for -lwxtiff
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64/libwxtiff.a when searching for -lwxtiff
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64\libwxtiff.a when searching for -lwxtiff
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib/libwxtiff.a when searching for -lwxtiff
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64/libwxtiff.a when searching for -lwxtiff
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lwxtiff
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib/libwxzlib.a when searching for -lwxzlib
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib\libwxzlib.a when searching for -lwxzlib
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64/libwxzlib.a when searching for -lwxzlib
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64\libwxzlib.a when searching for -lwxzlib
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib/libwxzlib.a when searching for -lwxzlib
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible E:\CodeBlocks\wxWidgets\lib\gcc_lib64/libwxzlib.a when searching for -lwxzlib
E:/CodeBlocks/MinGW64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/5.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lwxzlib
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minute(s), 1 second(s))
5 error(s), 0 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 1 second(s))

Says skipping incompatible... why in the world? I built them out my own working MinGW64.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:00:00 pm by Searinox »

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 11:44:46 pm »
Try once more to post a full build log.

By "build log" I mean the "build log" NOT the build messages.
By "full", I mean clean followed by build!

Tim S.
--

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 11:47:52 pm »
Says skipping incompatible... why in the world? I built them out my own working MinGW64.

No, you likely did NOT.

I set the Windows PATH to point first to the Compiler I wish to build wxWidgets with.
Then, I do the wxWidgets build command.

Edit: Example I use to build. I normally use %PATH% where I have %SystemRoot%; but, I have sh.exe in my normal path which results in a weird build error. I am trying it using %SystemRoot% to see if it works. Edit2: Building wxWidgets 3.0.2 using "gcc version 5.2.0 (Rev4, Built by MSYS2 project)"; note it is the only GCC 5.2 that I know about able to build a working wxWidgets on Windows 7. Edit3: But, by now there should be several other MinGW64 installers that work; I started doing the builds a few month back using 5.1 and later 5.2.
MSys2 is NOT easy to learn how to use. If you give me details about the Compiler you are using I can try it on my 64 bit Windows 7 Laptop.
Code
SET PATH=C:\Apps32\MSys2\mingw32\bin;%SystemRoot%
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc CFG=32 CPPFLAGS="-DHAVE_TR1_TYPE_TRAITS" CXXFLAGS="-Wno-deprecated-declarations -Wno-unused-local-typedefs -fno-keep-inline-dllexport" MONOLITHIC=1 SHARED=1 UNICODE=1 BUILD=release

Tim S.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:11:28 am by stahta01 »
--

Offline Searinox

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 01:10:07 pm »
I rebuilt the libraries with the command you provided, one for debug one for release leaving everything else untouched. But now I cannot even create a project properly as it says "a matching debug/release version cannot be found........." in the new project wizard. Compiling created the folder "gcc_dll32". That's supposed to happen yes? It's for x64 even if it says CFG=32 yes?

EDIT: Okay finally it works! I had to rename the created folder gcc_dll32 back to gcc_dll and I can compile and run.

New problem.

Debugging doesn't work... live. I can set breakpoints, but they only work if the program's not running. Nothing live or on the fly. I also can't break the program or terminate it from the IDE's usual buttons. It's basically acting like it's in Release mode except it sort of works if set up before run. And viceversa, if I have a breakpoint set up at runtime and remove it, it continues to trip it, I have to stop and start over.

Trying to pause the running process...

This shows up when I try to pause and nothing happens.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:44:15 pm by Searinox »

Offline raynebc

• Almost regular
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 09:09:29 pm »
That doesn't sound unusual to me.  When I use the debugger, I have to set breakpoints before launching the program or when execution is paused (at a line when stepping through the code or at a breakpoint).  This is the way GDB and CodeBlocks have been working for me for at least 5 years.