Author Topic: Documentation  (Read 3209 times)

Offline papagym

• Multiple posting newcomer
Documentation
« on: September 11, 2015, 01:44:31 am »
I realize most, if not all, of the CB team all volunteer. Kudos for all the hard work you've done to pull all of these modules together and make them work.

I hate to complain, but someone need to do something about the CB documentation!

I've been a CB user for over a year and I find it hard to learn how to use CB for many things. Only recently was I able to get on this forum which helped me a little.

I'm wondering if and when the documentation for CB will ever be upgraded let alone finished.  The current documents are so old they are almost useless.  Even the pictures in the documents are outdated.  The wiki, manual, and index all have out of date info in them.

I think I read in one of the doc's that you can use .chm file to use in Help on the main menu.  But there's not even a link to where to find them.

On this forum alone I imagine countless hours of time could have been saved with better documents.  Can't you guys get some of the collages to help to fix this.

I'd volunteer myself but I have no idea how I could help. 

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: Documentation
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 03:15:23 am »
I realize most, if not all, of the CB team all volunteer. Kudos for all the hard work you've done to pull all of these modules together and make them work.
As I know, all the official C::B devs are volunteers. Also there are many contributions from many volunteers.

I hate to complain, but someone need to do something about the CB documentation!

I've been a CB user for over a year and I find it hard to learn how to use CB for many things. Only recently was I able to get on this forum which helped me a little.

I'm wondering if and when the documentation for CB will ever be upgraded let alone finished.  The current documents are so old they are almost useless.  Even the pictures in the documents are outdated.  The wiki, manual, and index all have out of date info in them.

I think I read in one of the doc's that you can use .chm file to use in Help on the main menu.  But there's not even a link to where to find them.

On this forum alone I imagine countless hours of time could have been saved with better documents.  Can't you guys get some of the collages to help to fix this.

I'd volunteer myself but I have no idea how I could help.
I think any help is welcome, the document is really outdated, the source code of the document can be see from our SVN code repo:
https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/code/HEAD/tree/
In the docs sub folder.
The main document is written in Latex format, and the master tex file is:
https://sourceforge.net/p/codeblocks/code/HEAD/tree/docs/userguide/basics_en.tex
You need to use a SVN tool to check out the code, and make modification, use Latex tool(under Windows, you can choose Miktex or Texlive) and supply the patches here.

If you have any issue, don't hesitate to ask here. Thanks.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Documentation
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 12:20:10 pm »
also any user of the forum can update the wiki. You can use your forum login to login into the wiki and modify the contetn.
I also think, that there is a strong need of updating the documentation, wiki as main documentation (the document from http://www.codeblocks.org/user-manual is from version 10.3 !!!)