Author Topic: What is the best version of code blocks to download if your laptop is old  (Read 5942 times)

Offline Camille96

• Single posting newcomer
Hello! My laptop was bought in 2010 and it has been broken once and the guy who repaired it said that I shouldn't download new versions of any application as it is an old system and it may damage windows(7). Last time I downloaded version 13.12 and I lost all my pictures, videos, google chrome(had to reinstall it). I didn't try again. Please help me, I need to use code blocks by next week.
Thank you  :)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Are you joking? C::B is just a simple application. It doesn't delete images on it own.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Camille96

• Single posting newcomer
So I can totally download the new version?

Offline raynebc

• Almost regular
Yes.  Somebody that said you shouldn't download new versions of *any* program for your old computer knows very little about actual computers.  Running outdated software (especially with frequently exploited programs like Adobe Flash Player) have a great potential for allowing an OS installation to be destroyed by malware.  I have an 8 year old computer that runs the latest nightly build of Codeblocks quite well considering the hardware was low-powered even when it was sold.

Offline blauzahn

• Almost regular
I occasionally use C:B on a laptop, that is even older than yours (2007, CoreDuo, 32-Bit, 2,5GB).
OS is Ubuntu 14.04 and I compile C:B from trunk every two weeks or so on that machine itself.
That is, C::B actually can run on an older machine, even with larger projects like C::B. Compiling is of course slower, Apart from
that, C::B is fine. In case you are tight on memory, you might consider to disable code-completion.

I also exchanged the HD against an SSD. Although startup time improves substantially, the compiletime does not decrease
the same way, at least on linux. When you start compiling with gcc or clang, the HD-LED flickers only for a few seconds.
From that on it does so relatively sparingly. On Windows, on the other hand, when I compile with Visual Studio the HD-LED
flickers throughout the whole compilation heavily (even without anti-virus). The easiest way to improve the situation on an
old machine is to put more memory in and perhaps use a ramdisk. RAM gives the best bang for the buck.

When I first got it it had only 1GB RAM and Windows Vista. Starting even the bare Vista OS was so painfully slow, let alone daring to
start a non-trivial program like an IDE. Windows 7 is better but it depends on having enough memory to run a full-blown IDE.

I hope, the repair guy did not advise against security updates for programs (like the flash raynebc mentioned). Do your other, older applications still get those?