Author Topic: Yosemite reviews  (Read 5124 times)

Offline alterdbeazt

• Single posting newcomer
Yosemite reviews
« on: July 26, 2015, 09:39:10 pm »
any reviews of code::blocks running on Yosemite? The download says its buggy but its dated from 2013... any help is appreciated. Thanks
alterdbeazt

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Yosemite reviews
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 11:20:33 pm »
any reviews of code::blocks running on Yosemite? The download says its buggy but its dated from 2013... any help is appreciated. Thanks
alterdbeazt

There is post on how to build Code::Blocks (CB) for Mac OS.
The problem is there is NOT an CB Developer to fix the reported bugs under Mac OS.

If you know C++ and the Mac OS you likely can get CB to run under Mac OS and report the bugs.
But, you will need to test the patches of other people to fix the bugs.
And, in some cases you would need to create the patches yourself.

No idea if Yosemite is old or new; the Old Mac OS with wxGTK 2.8 works OK.
Few of the more resent Mac OS works with wxGTK 3.0.
The major problem for the new Mac OS is that wxGTK no longer works using the same MAC OS API.

There's 3 unique ports of wxWidgets designed for Mac OS X: wxMac, wxOSX/Carbon, and wxOSX/Cocoa.

I forget which of the above is the port that works best.

Edit added more info, below; I am a Windows/Linux CB user (not a dev.) Looks like 10.5 or 10.6 is likely the cut-off where CB had major issues. But, it might have been 10.2.
wxGTK: The recommended port for Linux and other Unix variants, using GTK+ version 2.6 or higher.
wxMac: For delivering Carbon applications on Mac OS X 10.2 through 10.6.
wxOSX/Carbon: For delivering 32-bit Carbon-based applications on Mac OS X 10.5 and above.
wxOSX/Cocoa: For delivering 32-bit and 64-bit Cocoa-based applications on Mac OS X 10.5 and above.

Edit: Link to the most recent afb post I found http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,20366.msg138642.html#msg138642

Tim S.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:12:34 am by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Calexus

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 10:37:19 am »
CB works reasonably well in Yosemite, or in any other osx version from snow leopard , as long as you disable one of the plugins. I think it's the symbols browser plugin causing problems, random crashes, but I'm not entirely sure.

Offline alterdbeazt

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 07:55:09 pm »
actually something of a c++ beginner... this may be the wrong place to ask but is there a good os x IDE? thanks

Offline Calexus

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 11:16:22 am »
Personally I believe CB is a good IDE, even on osx. Sure the osx version is the worst of them but I like having the same IDE no mater what os I'm currently working in, which is usually all of them so it keeps things simpler.

Most of the time CB just works, visual studio might be a "better" or more stable IDE when you start comparing features nobody needs and xcode being apples IDE naturally integrates better into osx. I use both VS and xcode in my daily work in addition to codeblocks but most of the time I use codeblocks simply because I like it. It is open source (always a nice feature), it doesn't come with a built in compiler but can use any compiler I might need, it's free, has plenty of plugins, it is somewhat actively developed (even if the last release is exactly fresh), it's especially suited for c++ development and the community is alive. It is definitely a good choice for any beginner programmer, or professional.

But for osx xcode is the default IDE. Personally I think it sucks, but that's just my opinion.

For other alternatives: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_integrated_development_environments#C.2FC.2B.2B

On the other hand you don't really need an IDE, you could use whatever texteditor you like and just compile from the terminal or a script.