Author Topic: The compiler's setup is invalid - and I am NOT a noob...  (Read 11789 times)

Offline eb

• Multiple posting newcomer
The compiler's setup is invalid - and I am NOT a noob...
« on: April 23, 2015, 09:56:26 pm »
Just went into C::B to rebuild a months old project when I get the build log message: 
"rap-rcvr01 - Release": The compiler's setup is invalid, so Code::Blocks cannot find/run the compiler.
Probably the toolchain path within the compiler options is not setup correctly?! (Do you have a compiler installed?)
Goto "Settings->Compiler...->Global compiler settings->unknown->Toolchain executables" and fix the compiler's setup.
Skipping...
"rap-rcvr01 - Release": The compiler's setup is invalid, so Code::Blocks cannot find/run the compiler.
Probably the toolchain path within the compiler options is not setup correctly?! (Do you have a compiler installed?)
Goto "Settings->Compiler...->Global compiler settings->unknown->Toolchain executables" and fix the compiler's setup.
Skipping...
Nothing to be done (all items are up-to-date).

rap-rcvr01 = project name
I'm using C::B 13.12 on windows 7
I Goto "Settings->Compiler and debugger...->Global compiler settings and I selected Cygwin GCC as my compiler.
I 'Set as default' AND I Reset defaults.
I goto 'Toolchain executables' where I hit 'Auto-detect' which responds 'Autodetected installation path of "Cygwin GCC" in C:\cygwin'
I confirm the entry beneath Compiler's installation directory does say C:\cygwin.
I clicked on all the Select file buttons under the Program files tab and confirmed that gcc.exe, g++.exe, gcc-3.exe, g++-3.exe, ar.exe, windres.exe and make all reside in C:\cygwin\bin.
Hit OK, saved all files, rebooted my computer.
Cleaned the project.
Tried the MingW compiler.

Nothing works.  I'm pretty sure I've read every relevent topic (about 15) about it on this forum...
What have I missed?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: The compiler's setup is invalid - and I am NOT a noob...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:01:57 pm »
Make sure the executables are proper applications and not symlinks. Otherwise enter the name of the proper executable the symlink points to.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline eb

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 11:03:41 pm »
Nope, they're not symlinks.  They are the *.exe files they purport to be.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 11:31:13 pm »
is the proper compiler set in Project->Build Options? (drop down menu on the top)

greetings

Offline eb

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 07:14:48 pm »
Project->Build Options is set to Cygwin GCC HOWEVER I double clicked on Cygwin GCC to open the Project build options, flipped through the various tabs looking for anything suspicious and hit Ok.  When I hit Ok it said I made changes so just for grins I said save and VOILA I'm compiling again.

edit:  I made no changes that I'm aware of.  Any ideas what happened?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:19:14 pm by eb »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 06:16:50 am »
Nope, if you didn't save your config I don't know why it failed. If you have a backup of your config please attach this and the new one (zipped) here so we can analyse.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ