Author Topic: Undefined references in projects  (Read 7482 times)

Nacho

Undefined references in projects
« on: January 16, 2006, 08:30:41 pm »
Hi! I´m trying to compile an SDL project -created using the CodeBlock´s template for SDL projects- which includes a few source files. After a successful compilation I get linker errors about "undefined references" from my own´s source files. As a simple test I tried the following piece of code, but the error is still there (I get an undefined reference to Vector2DFPDotProd).

#include "MathLibFP.h"

int
main(int argc,char** argv)
{
    Vector2DFPType VecA = {1.0f,1.0f}, VecB = {1.0f,1.0f};
    Vector2DFPDotProd(&VecA,&VecB);
    return 0;
}

I tried cleaning the project and rebuilding, but nothing. Here´s a piece of the project´s makefile:

.deps/MathLibFP.d: MathLibFP.c
   @echo Calculating dependencies for "MathLibFP.c"...
   @$(default_CC) -MM $(default_CFLAGS) -MF .deps/MathLibFP.d -MT .objs/MathLibFP.o $(default_INCS) MathLibFP.c

.objs/MathLibFP.o: .deps/MathLibFP.d
   @echo Compiling "MathLibFP.c"...
   @$(default_CC) $(default_CFLAGS) $(default_INCS) -c MathLibFP.c -o .objs/MathLibFP.o

which shows that MathLibFP.c is being compiled. Any suggestions on how to solve this??

Thanks in advance!

--Nacho

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Re: Undefined references in projects
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 08:56:49 pm »
Hello,

May be this topic could be useful for you.

I would also advice a search in the forum :). There are already some posts about SDL that could be useful for solve your problem.

Michael

Nacho

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 09:30:22 pm »
Thanks for the link, but my current problem is not related with SDL´s files but with some of my own files (MathLibFP.c/h, for example) that do not contain any SDL code at all. In fact, the SDL program that gets automatically created by CB works ok.

I also searched in the forum but most threads were on "undefined references" obtained by programmers who wanted to compile CB´s source code, which is not my case. Although I did found this thread: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=947.0, that mentions somethings closely related to the problem I´m experiencing:

- the compiler sometimes gives messages like undefined reference to function f @ some point in some file where that function is not even used :p. Well I know that this is not a very good description, but...

Thanks again for your input!

--Nacho

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 09:38:11 pm »
Ok, sorry :oops:.

Which version of C::B are you using? And which OS?

Michael

Nacho

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 09:52:56 pm »
Ok, sorry :oops:.

Eh, no problem! Please, don´t feel bad about it.  :)

Anyway, I came here to tell you that I finally fixed it, but the steps I took to arrive at the solution are a little bit weird: I removed main.cpp (the one that gets automatically generated by CB SDL´s template), renamed it to blabla.cpp, created and included a new file called main.c, copied the contents from blabla.cpp to main.c and rebuilt the whole project.

I´m using the latets version of CB (the one that includes MinGW) and WinXP. Although I solved my problem, I´d like to know if somebody else has ever experienced a similar problem.

Michael, thanks again for your reply!

--Nacho

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 11:30:05 pm »
Hello,

If you use RC2 (i.e., the one that come bundle or not with MinGW), then I would advice you to give a try to the latest nightly build. A lot of bugs have been fixed since then and new features added.

May be a nightly build would work better for you.

Best wishes,
Michael

PS.: You can also compile SVN source by yourself. It is VERY EASY and it is worth.

Nacho

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 08:21:21 pm »
Michael: I´m using RC2 but I´ll try to compile the nightly build during the weekend and let you know if I succeded at it.

--Nacho

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 08:25:40 pm »
Michael: I´m using RC2 but I´ll try to compile the nightly build during the weekend and let you know if I succeded at it.

The nightly builds are already compiled. You should download and install TortoiseSVN and use it to download C::B sources. Be careful becasue the C::B project has changed of name. Now it is called CodeBlocks.cbp.

If you encounter some problems, just post :).

Michael

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 10:55:14 pm »
codeblocks.cbp? So we should delete the codeblocks-NewBUILD.cbp?

takeshimiya

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 10:58:18 pm »

Hint: svn update  :D

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 11:52:02 am »

It is already done :D. In revision1797 Mandrav has "Removed "NewBuild" suffix from all project files.".

As Takeshi Miya suggested, just do an update with e.g., TortoiseSVN.

Michael