Author Topic: GitBlocks Plugin  (Read 66236 times)

Offline tomolt

• Multiple posting newcomer
  • Professional system breaker
Re: GitBlocks Plugin
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 03:36:15 pm »
Well, yes, there WAS a build script by stahta01 for Windows, but I had to take it out because I am now using autotools, which works fine on my Arch Linux box, and also *should* work fine on Windows, but I can't test it! :(

(P.S.: Sorry for being a little bit late on this!)

Offline decaf999

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 02:52:50 pm »
Well, yes, there WAS a build script by stahta01 for Windows, but I had to take it out because I am now using autotools, which works fine on my Arch Linux box, and also *should* work fine on Windows, but I can't test it! :(

Maybe this is not a question for you, but I see little documentation / articles about using autotools on a windows machine.  Most documentation for windows is to build plug-ins using Code::Blocks itself, and many other plug-ins appeared to provide cbp files for different wxWidgets versions and architectures along with autotools files. They can co-exist, and it seems there is some kind of naming conventions of cbp files to distinguish the environment each cbp file support.  I wonder what the guideline/convention is in this CB plug-in development community. And BTW setting up autotools in pure windows environment can be unpleasant process, you might need to use MSYS or cygwin. At the end, setting up cbp might be much easier, faster and maintainable.  (Just that it is not for non-interactive-building.)

Anyway, I managed to get GitBlocks compiled using my own cbp file on windows, and now seeing crashes when invoking any of GitBlocks commands from top menu.  (GUI operations appeared to be working, menu items show up, some dialogue box for user input shows up, but then entire C::B stops.) Haven't had a chance to narrow down the root cause yet.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 03:32:12 pm »

Maybe this is not a question for you, but I see little documentation / articles about using autotools on a windows machine.  Most documentation for windows is to build plug-ins using Code::Blocks itself, and many other plug-ins appeared to provide cbp files for different wxWidgets versions and architectures along with autotools files. They can co-exist, and it seems there is some kind of naming conventions of cbp files to distinguish the environment each cbp file support.  I wonder what the guideline/convention is in this CB plug-in development community. And BTW setting up autotools in pure windows environment can be unpleasant process, you might need to use MSYS or cygwin. At the end, setting up cbp might be much easier, faster and maintainable.  (Just that it is not for non-interactive-building.)

Anyway, I managed to get GitBlocks compiled using my own cbp file on windows, and now seeing crashes when invoking any of GitBlocks commands from top menu.  (GUI operations appeared to be working, menu items show up, some dialogue box for user input shows up, but then entire C::B stops.) Haven't had a chance to narrow down the root cause yet.

If you want I can re-create or find the cbp file for windows.
I stopped on the project because I decided I did NOT know enough about Git to know if what the programmer was doing was safe for me to test the plugin.
Since, I use Git for some of my paid work I did NOT wish to risk damage it accidentally.
I already risk that because of my low level of Git knowledge.

Edit: Right now I am trying to Linux better using Debian Jessie. So, I might try to build it for windows 32 bit under Linux.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:34:04 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline decaf999

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 02:00:16 am »
If you want I can re-create or find the cbp file for windows.

Never mind, since tomolt mentioned that there was once a build script, I checked GitHub repo history and found it.  Thanks anyway.

https://github.com/tomolt/GitBlocks/blob/5d340f8fbebb87efca66b016ea66162d27aec0c7/GitBlocks-win32.cbp

Offline tomolt

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 11:31:26 pm »
About the build system: autotools is pretty weird, but the best way of installing GitBlocks is just running the bootstrap shell script, then the newly generated configure script, and then make. (You need autotools and something like msys or cygwin for that)

stahta01: I'm not a real git-poweruser either, so you should really not rely on my plugin right now. But: I'm currently doing all the commits and so for GitBlocks with GitBlocks, and I never had a lot of trouble with it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 09:47:58 am by tomolt »

Offline tomolt

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 11:42:35 pm »
P.S.: I'll probably provide both build systems in the future, I'm just currently on a mobile device, so I can't change it right now.

Offline zygimantus

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2015, 10:48:20 am »
How do you install this plugin to CodeBlocks? I have run these commands:
Code
./bootstrap 
./configure
make -f Makefile.in

But I got this error:
Makefile.in:15: *** missing separator (did you mean TAB instead of 8 spaces?).  Stop.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2015, 02:50:38 pm »
This is likely very wrong!

Code
make -f Makefile.in

Try
Code
make -f Makefile

Tim S.
--

Offline zygimantus

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2015, 04:35:47 pm »
Thank you for your response, but file Makefile does not exist:

make: Makefile: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target 'Makefile'.  Stop.

Those are the files in GitBlocks directory:

GitBlocks.zip  Makefile.in  install-sh    compile         ltmain.sh     include       wxsmith    ChangeLog      INSTALL      README
config.log     depcomp      config.sub    autom4te.cache  config.h.in   manifest.xml  AUTHORS    COPYING        Makefile.am
configure      missing      config.guess  aclocal.m4      configure.ac  src           bootstrap  GitBlocks.cbp  NEWS

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 07:20:08 pm »
You have to run the configure script to generate the makefile files.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline amigabill

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 09:34:22 pm »
OK, how do I install this? I downloaded as ZIP file from GitHub. INSTALL file is 0 bytes, and README says nothign about install, it only refers to this thread.  Codeblocks plugin manager looks for a *.cbplugin file, I see a *.cbp file in the archive and made a link for a *.cbplugin version but that doesn't load.  make all doesn't do anything, configure doesn't do anything, make GitBlocks.cbplugin doesn't do anything...

Please help, as I'm not good with git command line yet and hope a GUI will help. (I've previously used Eclipse with its git plugin)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 09:58:58 pm »
I suppose you have to build the plugin yourself.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline amigabill

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2015, 09:20:32 pm »

Is there a complete and total For Dummies on how to accomplish that? (Sorry, I'm new to CodeBlocks and its plugins, and as described I couldn't find any install info in readme/install/makefiles found in the plugin package, and I haven't had to research how to build plugins before install for other IDE tools)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:24:15 pm by amigabill »

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2015, 02:57:39 am »

Is there a complete and total For Dummies on how to accomplish that? (Sorry, I'm new to CodeBlocks and its plugins, and as described I couldn't find any install info in readme/install/makefiles found in the plugin package, and I haven't had to research how to build plugins before install for other IDE tools)

What is your Operating System and Code::Blocks installation information?
Edit: Do you self-build Code::Blocks?

Tim S.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 03:27:27 am by stahta01 »
--

Offline turbosnail

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 12:42:55 am »
stahta01, just now compile plugin from your repo, its not work.

Code
Fetching status ...
git status
Fetching from origin ...
cmd.exe /C "git fetch origin"
Fetching log ...
git log --pretty=format:%h%x09%an%x09%ad%x09%s

Windows 8 x64