Author Topic: Use Code Blocks with GIT.  (Read 27137 times)

jlabani

Use Code Blocks with GIT.
« on: March 03, 2015, 07:34:10 am »
I am a novice programmer and I recently joined a group working on a C++ project on BitBucket, a site used to store the project with GIT. So far I have only learned how to clone a copy of the repo from the site to my local machine, which I have of course done already. What I am unsure of is how to open this GIT project in CB or whether I need a plugin. Or is there just a GIT file I need to select? I am a newb so sorry for this dumb question!

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Use Code Blocks with GIT.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 11:35:18 am »
Learn what a IDE is, learn what git is, learn that this things have nothing to do with each other.
Read what C::B is, read what C::B is not. And don't think that anyone is explaining this basics to you bit by bit... The Internet is a harsh environment if you can not read or find things by yourself....

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
Re: Use Code Blocks with GIT.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 04:56:40 pm »
Learn what a IDE is, learn what git is, learn that this things have nothing to do with each other.
Read what C::B is, read what C::B is not. And don't think that anyone is explaining this basics to you bit by bit... The Internet is a harsh environment if you can not read or find things by yourself....

I don't see the point of rude answers like this. I would recommend not answering if replies like this is all you have.

The question is legitimate enough and it is quite normal to expect source code control as an integrated feature in IDEs (VS has it), and one should therefore expect people to ask for it in C::B, even if the proper answer might be to encourage a different expectation. This can be done without offending people.

@jlabani: I believe a Code::Blocks plugin for source control is being created for exactly this purpose, so that is a better reply IMHO.
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,19961.msg136251.html#msg136251 .
I would recommend checking the status of that (I have not used it).

Personally, I have few problems keeping my favorite source control system (Bazaar) separate from the IDE, although sometimes I can see closer integration would be a good idea.

I would recommend doing exactly what you have done and experiment locally before trying anything more advanced. Figuring out how to contribute back to the project you mentioned is probably best done by asking the others on that project. I have not used git beyond cloning locally so I wouldn't know. But it is worth noting that git, bazaar, hg and a few other source control systems are distributed and work differently from e.g. subversion, Perforce or similar systems based on a central database. Understanding these things is worthwhile before you try integration in an IDE like Code::Blocks. It took me quite a while before I figured out the part of Bazaar that I am now using (successfully).

Git appears to be the most used system these days, so it is a good idea to learn it, I guess. Code::Blocks is also a very good IDE that I would recommend, although the recruitment of new users seems no not be top priority....