Author Topic: Project opening  (Read 17518 times)

sethjackson

Project opening
« on: January 15, 2006, 03:42:44 pm »
Umm I noticed with rev 1760 that the project closing is very fast  8)  When you open a project C::B seems posessed...... C::B flickers the toolbar flickers etc.  :shock: The project closing is much better. The project opening seems worse.  :?

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Re: Project opening
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 06:04:11 pm »
When you open a project C::B seems posessed...... C::B flickers the toolbar flickers etc. :shock:

I have also remarked that when opening projects, especially huge (or quite) ones, icons in the toolbar(s) disappear, C::B flickers and seems to hungup. This normally takes just some seconds (may be 5 or 10 seconds).

This behaviour is not new for me, since I have remarked it for sometimes already. I do not exactly since which revison, but at least since rev1728.

Michael

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 06:10:01 pm »
Wow, you people must have really huge projects.  :shock:
None of my projects takes longer than 2 seconds to load, and I see no abnormal behaviour at all.

I mean, seriously... 10 seconds? Do you have projects with 15.000 files?
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 06:30:52 pm »
Wow, you people must have really huge projects.  :shock:
None of my projects takes longer than 2 seconds to load, and I see no abnormal behaviour at all.

Well, one huge project is C::B :D.

I mean, seriously... 10 seconds? Do you have projects with 15.000 files?

May be 10 seconds is too much :oops:. Let me check it for a more accurate value.

Michael

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 06:42:03 pm »
Well, one huge project is C::B :D
That particular project takes 72 ms to load here when reading from system cache, 200-220 ms otherwise. I cannot believe it takes anything on the order of several seconds, even on a slow machine, we must be talking of different things..?

Do you mean the time it takes the code completion parser to finish? That may be on the order of 5-10 seconds.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 06:44:52 pm »
For me it is also seconds (5 to 8  <--I meant eight, ok because of this extra text the ')' is not close to the 8 anymore, so no smiley), before I can do anything else when opening CB project. The title bar freezes up (tuning white at some positions).
Both on an athlon 1.4Ghz and some pentium 4 laptop. :-(

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 06:46:36 pm »
Well, one huge project is C::B :D
That particular project takes 72 ms to load here when reading from system cache, 200-220 ms otherwise. I cannot believe it takes anything on the order of several seconds, even on a slow machine, we must be talking of different things..?

Do you mean the time it takes the code completion parser to finish? That may be on the order of 5-10 seconds.

No. I have opened C::B rev1728 and clicked on the C::B project on the start page. To open it, it has taken around 6-7 seconds. But this time no problems with the icons and so on :D. Anyway, I cannot exclude local hard disk problems or other local-related problems.

Michael

[EDIT]: I have a notebook DELL LATITUDE 600, CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) M 1,80 GHz and 1,00 GB RAM.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 06:49:28 pm by Michael »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 07:01:38 pm »
I have a notebook DELL LATITUDE 600, CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) M 1,80 GHz and 1,00 GB RAM.
That's the same model my wife uses for work... it's terribly slow (opening MS Word takes like 40 seconds) although I have no idea why.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 07:20:26 pm »
I have a notebook DELL LATITUDE 600, CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) M 1,80 GHz and 1,00 GB RAM.
That's the same model my wife uses for work... it's terribly slow (opening MS Word takes like 40 seconds) although I have no idea why.

Yes, I cannot say it is very fast, especially when the hard disk is becoming full. After freeing it a bit and having around 20GB free space, it showed a small speed improvement. Anyway, this notebook is what I have got from my institute and I have no hope for a replace :(.

Michael

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 07:49:04 pm »
I have just compiled C::B (rev1762) and tried to open C::B project. It takes some seconds, but this time the flickering was very high. Before, I have generally remarked that the icons of the toolbar(s) disappear and re-appear when the project is loaded (and occasionally low flickering). Now, I get flickering until the project is opened.

Michael

sethjackson

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 07:50:59 pm »
I have just compiled C::B (rev1762) and tried to open C::B project. It takes some seconds, but this time the flickering was very high. Before, I have generally remarked that the icons of the toolbar(s) disappear and re-appear when the project is loaded (and occasionally low flickering). Now, I get flickering until the project is opened.

Michael

Exactly.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 08:06:25 pm »
About the flickering, we all need to thank Rick who changed the Yields to ProcessPendingEvents adding more un-needed overhead :( ...
Rick, what was the problem exactly and you made those changes?
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

sethjackson

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 08:12:59 pm »
About the flickering, we all need to thank Rick who changed the Yields to ProcessPendingEvents adding more un-needed overhead :( ...
Rick, what was the problem exactly and you made those changes?

:lol: I will have to say the closing of projects is MUCH better (for me at least).  8)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 09:07:42 pm by sethjackson »

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 08:54:44 pm »
Well I didn't want to blame rick

I didn't say "blame"...
I said "thank" ;)
Be patient!