Author Topic: Project opening  (Read 17516 times)

sethjackson

Project opening
« on: January 15, 2006, 03:42:44 pm »
Umm I noticed with rev 1760 that the project closing is very fast  8)  When you open a project C::B seems posessed...... C::B flickers the toolbar flickers etc.  :shock: The project closing is much better. The project opening seems worse.  :?

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Re: Project opening
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 06:04:11 pm »
When you open a project C::B seems posessed...... C::B flickers the toolbar flickers etc. :shock:

I have also remarked that when opening projects, especially huge (or quite) ones, icons in the toolbar(s) disappear, C::B flickers and seems to hungup. This normally takes just some seconds (may be 5 or 10 seconds).

This behaviour is not new for me, since I have remarked it for sometimes already. I do not exactly since which revison, but at least since rev1728.

Michael

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 06:10:01 pm »
Wow, you people must have really huge projects.  :shock:
None of my projects takes longer than 2 seconds to load, and I see no abnormal behaviour at all.

I mean, seriously... 10 seconds? Do you have projects with 15.000 files?
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 06:30:52 pm »
Wow, you people must have really huge projects.  :shock:
None of my projects takes longer than 2 seconds to load, and I see no abnormal behaviour at all.

Well, one huge project is C::B :D.

I mean, seriously... 10 seconds? Do you have projects with 15.000 files?

May be 10 seconds is too much :oops:. Let me check it for a more accurate value.

Michael

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 06:42:03 pm »
Well, one huge project is C::B :D
That particular project takes 72 ms to load here when reading from system cache, 200-220 ms otherwise. I cannot believe it takes anything on the order of several seconds, even on a slow machine, we must be talking of different things..?

Do you mean the time it takes the code completion parser to finish? That may be on the order of 5-10 seconds.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 06:44:52 pm »
For me it is also seconds (5 to 8  <--I meant eight, ok because of this extra text the ')' is not close to the 8 anymore, so no smiley), before I can do anything else when opening CB project. The title bar freezes up (tuning white at some positions).
Both on an athlon 1.4Ghz and some pentium 4 laptop. :-(

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 06:46:36 pm »
Well, one huge project is C::B :D
That particular project takes 72 ms to load here when reading from system cache, 200-220 ms otherwise. I cannot believe it takes anything on the order of several seconds, even on a slow machine, we must be talking of different things..?

Do you mean the time it takes the code completion parser to finish? That may be on the order of 5-10 seconds.

No. I have opened C::B rev1728 and clicked on the C::B project on the start page. To open it, it has taken around 6-7 seconds. But this time no problems with the icons and so on :D. Anyway, I cannot exclude local hard disk problems or other local-related problems.

Michael

[EDIT]: I have a notebook DELL LATITUDE 600, CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) M 1,80 GHz and 1,00 GB RAM.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 06:49:28 pm by Michael »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 07:01:38 pm »
I have a notebook DELL LATITUDE 600, CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) M 1,80 GHz and 1,00 GB RAM.
That's the same model my wife uses for work... it's terribly slow (opening MS Word takes like 40 seconds) although I have no idea why.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 07:20:26 pm »
I have a notebook DELL LATITUDE 600, CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) M 1,80 GHz and 1,00 GB RAM.
That's the same model my wife uses for work... it's terribly slow (opening MS Word takes like 40 seconds) although I have no idea why.

Yes, I cannot say it is very fast, especially when the hard disk is becoming full. After freeing it a bit and having around 20GB free space, it showed a small speed improvement. Anyway, this notebook is what I have got from my institute and I have no hope for a replace :(.

Michael

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 07:49:04 pm »
I have just compiled C::B (rev1762) and tried to open C::B project. It takes some seconds, but this time the flickering was very high. Before, I have generally remarked that the icons of the toolbar(s) disappear and re-appear when the project is loaded (and occasionally low flickering). Now, I get flickering until the project is opened.

Michael

sethjackson

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 07:50:59 pm »
I have just compiled C::B (rev1762) and tried to open C::B project. It takes some seconds, but this time the flickering was very high. Before, I have generally remarked that the icons of the toolbar(s) disappear and re-appear when the project is loaded (and occasionally low flickering). Now, I get flickering until the project is opened.

Michael

Exactly.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 08:06:25 pm »
About the flickering, we all need to thank Rick who changed the Yields to ProcessPendingEvents adding more un-needed overhead :( ...
Rick, what was the problem exactly and you made those changes?
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

sethjackson

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 08:12:59 pm »
About the flickering, we all need to thank Rick who changed the Yields to ProcessPendingEvents adding more un-needed overhead :( ...
Rick, what was the problem exactly and you made those changes?

:lol: I will have to say the closing of projects is MUCH better (for me at least).  8)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 09:07:42 pm by sethjackson »

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 08:54:44 pm »
Well I didn't want to blame rick

I didn't say "blame"...
I said "thank" ;)
Be patient!

sethjackson

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 09:07:56 pm »
Well I didn't want to blame rick

I didn't say "blame"...
I said "thank" ;)

Point taken.  :D

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 09:42:36 pm »
I now noticed it also, all that flickering.

Hey , we need a plug-in which repositions all toolbar buttons and we can have our own CB X-mass tree.

8) 8) 8)

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2006, 10:01:06 pm »
Uhhh... I just switched to 1762 as the work-with-release, and now I have it too...  :shock:

It is code completion that causes all this (and very likely, it is the "fix all Yield issues" thing, because the flashing happens exactly at this location if you step through it). Probably I did not see it before because my test profile had code completion disabled.

Ow man... this is quite nasty...

sethjackson

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 10:14:02 pm »
Uhhh... I just switched to 1762 as the work-with-release, and now I have it too...  :shock:

It is code completion that causes all this (and very likely, it is the "fix all Yield issues" thing, because the flashing happens exactly at this location if you step through it). Probably I did not see it before because my test profile had code completion disabled.

Ow man... this is quite nasty...

:lol:

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 08:51:13 pm »
Actually, it's not Rick's fault after all :)
It's killerbot's :P

Fixed now.
Be patient!

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 08:58:21 pm »
Thanks for the "thanks" :P

Actually, i looked at the source code, and wxApp::Yield DOES include a ProcessPendingEvents.

My point was to elliminate the reentry possibility in the messagemanager while being able to display the messages. A special case i didn't take into account was the debugger plugin, where the events are timer/process/whatever-generated and therefore not filtered (they're not windowing messages). I'm gonna plug this leak tonight.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 09:04:27 pm by rickg22 »