Author Topic: Doesn't get past Tip of the Day in Windows 7  (Read 2418 times)

Offline quiznoserf

• Single posting newcomer
Doesn't get past Tip of the Day in Windows 7
« on: January 15, 2015, 01:00:58 am »
I was using a much older version of Code:Blocks (8.02) that came with my "C++: All-in-one for Dummies" book and thought it would be a good idea to upgrade to codeblocks-13.12.  After installing over the old version, when I attempt to run it, the splash screen comes up and then the Tip of the Day, but I don't get the "Start Here" screen.  Apparently codeblocks is still running, because I see it both in the icon tray at the bottom of my screen and in the Windows Task Manager.  I have also tried to install cb-13.11-RC2 with the same result.  Any suggestions?

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Doesn't get past Tip of the Day in Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 02:22:46 am »
Delete or rename the default config file is my suggestion.

It under the folder %APPDATA% on my computer it is this path

C:\Users\stahta01\AppData\Roaming\CodeBlocks and it is the file named default.conf.

Tim S.

C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 05:57:31 am »
Did you remove the install-folder of 8.02 before ?
There are no informations stored inside it, so nothing gets lost (but to be sure you can rename it).
There might be a pronlem with old libraries, because the library structure was slightly changed since 8.02,

Offline quiznoserf

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 06:03:37 pm »
Delete or rename the default config file is my suggestion.

It under the folder %APPDATA% ...

Tim S.

Thank you.  At first I searched in C:\Users\rp4084 for AppData with Windows Explorer--but the darn folder was hidden.  After searching for %APPDATA%, Windows pulled up C:\Users\rp4084\AppData\ .  I wouldn't have known how to find it otherwise.

After removing this file (and uninstalling and removing all traces of codeblocks that I could find--for good measure, then re-installing) it works.  Thanks again.