Author Topic: TDM-GCC 4.9 series (Latest: 4.9.2-tdm-1 - 2014-12-08)  (Read 49416 times)

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
Re: TDM-GCC 4.9 series (Latest: 4.9.2-tdm-1 - 2014-12-08)
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 07:31:51 pm »
Quote from: gd_on on December 13, 2014, 08:02:13 pm

On windows, wxWidgets does NOT officially support 2.8 as being 64 bit compatible.

I have already seen this information. Nevetheless, I have myself compiled wxwidgets 2.8.12 in 64 bits

I can hardly believe that, since wxWidgets 2.8 contains code that casts pointers to int. Which of course doesn't work too well under 64 bits, even if you somehow get the compiler to do this without bailing out.
May be I'm very lucky !!
I have not found any problem in compiling and using C::B 64 with my wxwidgets 2.8.12 64 bits version. All the wxwidgets tests cases I tried, worked as expected.
May be, one day, I'll use such code with int pointers (certainly specific to Windows code), but until this, I cross my fingers !

gd_on
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:35:53 pm by gd_on »
Windows 11 64 bits (23H2), svn C::B (last version or almost!), wxWidgets 3.2.4 (tests with 3.3), Msys2 Compilers 13.2.0, 64 bits (seh, posix : gcc, g++ and gfortran in C:\msys64\mingw64) or 32 bits (dwarf2, posix  in C:\msys64\mingw32).

Offline P@S@f

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 12:11:16 am »
I'm very sorry if that question was already asked.

But what I'm supposed to do with that compiler if I want to build something more complicated than "Hello world!" from GNU world?

Am I need to put it in installation of mingw? Or mingw-w64? Or cygwin? Or MSYS? Or MSYS2?

With all mentioned software it is all simple - I could install packages in predefined environment and they will be detected afterwards when needed as dependencies for compiling something else. But what to do with bare metal Windows command  prompt? Add every directory in PATH? Or TDM-GCC do it for me?
I've tried to find at least small tutorial on how to setup environment for TDM-GCC but with no luck.
So I need some help with that.
Oh, to avoid X Y problem - I'm currently trying to build gcc-4.9.2 with non-POSIX mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc and... yep, no luck, <sys/wait.h> not found and so on...
I hope TDM GCC could help me with that.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 12:17:23 am »
I'm very sorry if that question was already asked.

But what I'm supposed to do with that compiler if I want to build something more complicated than "Hello world!" from GNU world?

Am I need to put it in installation of mingw? Or mingw-w64? Or cygwin? Or MSYS? Or MSYS2?

With all mentioned software it is all simple - I could install packages in predefined environment and they will be detected afterwards when needed as dependencies for compiling something else. But what to do with bare metal Windows command  prompt? Add every directory in PATH? Or TDM-GCC do it for me?
I've tried to find at least small tutorial on how to setup environment for TDM-GCC but with no luck.
So I need some help with that.
Oh, to avoid X Y problem - I'm currently trying to build gcc-4.9.2 with non-POSIX mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc and... yep, no luck, <sys/wait.h> not found and so on...
I hope TDM GCC could help me with that.

Trying to build MinGW GCC on Windows is very hard  (I believe it is possible; I could be wrong) most people building Ming GCC builds it under Linux OS after setting up a cross GCC toolchain.

NOTE: Using the TDM GCC Compiler for a more complex program is just like using any compiler with a more complex program.

Edit: If you need Linux GNU compatible environment to run your program then Cygwin is better than MSys.
If you just need a build environment instead run env. then MSys is normally good enough unless you are doing socket programming Cygwin socket programming is closer to Unix/Linux Msys socket programming is like Windows OS.

My copy of Cygwin has a sys/wait.h header for its native gcc compiler.
No idea about TDM GCC or Msys.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:30:33 am by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline P@S@f

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 12:42:06 am »
No, my goal is diametric.
I want to compile gcc for specific target (SH4) to use it in Windows just like TDM-GCC I guess with some IDE without any POSIX environment shells like Cygwin or MSYS. Because if I build something in cygwin or msys that means that I need to run it in that shell or copy thousands of dlls which emulates something I don't need at all and slows down execution speeds of program.
And on the contrary I aspire to native speeds, so I need to avoid using of any POSIX-emulations.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 01:17:33 am »
No, my goal is diametric.
I want to compile gcc for specific target (SH4) to use it in Windows just like TDM-GCC I guess with some IDE without any POSIX environment shells like Cygwin or MSYS. Because if I build something in cygwin or msys that means that I need to run it in that shell or copy thousands of dlls which emulates something I don't need at all and slows down execution speeds of program.
And on the contrary I aspire to native speeds, so I need to avoid using of any POSIX-emulations.

I suggest trying to say what you really want to do!

Edit: If you want to build GCC I strongly suggest using Linux!!

I still DO NOT know if you want to build or use GCC!!

And, you have no idea what Msys is; and only a slight idea what an IDE is.

Edit2: I suggest read the rules before you are banned from this site http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,9996.0.html

Tim S.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:24:23 am by stahta01 »
--

Offline P@S@f

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 12:31:55 pm »
I wrote twice that I want to build regular GCC 4.9.2 with targetting of SH4 (Hitachi SuperH 4 processor) outwards of any POSIX environment.

I following the rules because I'm not asking general programming questions and I do not ask to do something for me. Is this thread not for supporting TDM-GCC users? If no then sorry, but I need confirmation from topic starter and it is not you.

And please do not share your opinion about my knowing of things. It is not gentle.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:54:12 pm by P@S@f »

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2015, 06:57:56 pm »
I wrote twice that I want to build regular GCC 4.9.2 with targetting of SH4 (Hitachi SuperH 4 processor) outwards of any POSIX environment.

I following the rules because I'm not asking general programming questions and I do not ask to do something for me. Is this thread not for supporting TDM-GCC users? If no then sorry, but I need confirmation from topic starter and it is not you.

And please do not share your opinion about my knowing of things. It is not gentle.

So ask a question on topic in this thread or for this site.
Ask TDM what steps he used to build TDM.

Because building GCC (for an non window target) is NOT an valid topic for this site; please read and follow the rules or I will ask that you be banned!

Tim S.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:23:06 pm by stahta01 »
--

Offline P@S@f

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 07:47:43 am »
You don't get it.
I said that just to avoid X-Y problem.
What I'm asking is strongly related to this topic.

My question was - how to setup TGM-GCC in MSYS or something that allow me to build UNIX programs easily (jus by typing ./configure && make)?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 02:28:51 pm »
You don't get it.
I said that just to avoid X-Y problem.
What I'm asking is strongly related to this topic.

My question was - how to setup TGM-GCC in MSYS or something that allow me to build UNIX programs easily (jus by typing ./configure && make)?
Well no, it's not strongly related, although I can see where your confusion comes from.

This site/forum is about Code::Blocks, and to keep the noise level down, our rules don't allow non-Code::Blocks content (for legal reasons -- server being located in Germany -- the moderators have to read through all posts, so there is a practical reason to keep noise down).

That actually means that the entirety of TDM threads don't belong here since they're not related to Code::Blocks at all,  but it so happens that John is a cool guy and he makes cool compiler build which is also the best fit both for building and using Code::Blocks, so whatever the rules are,  this is OK for us, and we're not going super-prick on him   ;D

Now of course, your question about setting up a Unix-like build environment is a totally different thing (and besides, it's nowhere like you type ./configure && make to build GCC, only in your dreams -- I wish it was that easy!). Which is what stahta01 tried to point out.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2015, 02:42:51 pm »
Is there a possibility to share the bfd libs from the build so we can build a new exchndl (crash handler) against this version of GCC? Without it the build will not succeed and the old version will not work (at least for me - it makes C::B and other wx apps hang forever).
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 02:45:08 pm »
That actually means that the entirety of TDM threads don't belong here since they're not related to Code::Blocks at all,  [...]
Well, no:
1.) C::B is build using exactly these compilers
2.) C::B ships wit exactly this (and only this) compiler.

So I'd say its definitely a C::B topic... but maybe more for the C::B developers.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2015, 05:09:27 am »
I think this forum is the perfect place for both developers of Code::Blocks and developers that use TDM-GCC with Code::Blocks to be apprised of updates. If at any time TDM-GCC becomes no longer relevant, I will happily cease. :)

Regarding bfd, GCC itself doesn't include it, so do you mean the bfd from TDM64 binutils, or ???
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 05:12:55 am by TDragon »
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2015, 06:40:37 am »
Regarding bfd, GCC itself doesn't include it, so do you mean the bfd from TDM64 binutils, or ???
bfd is built when you build gdb. Normally, running "make -C gdb install" is enough, which means libbfd is not installed.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2015, 04:43:11 pm »
The 32-bit TDM-GCC uses the MinGW project's binutils package - that's probably where you should get libbfd.a from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/binutils/binutils-2.24/binutils-2.24-1-mingw32-dev.tar.xz/download
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2015, 08:47:25 am »
The 32-bit TDM-GCC uses the MinGW project's binutils package - that's probably where you should get libbfd.a from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Base/binutils/binutils-2.24/binutils-2.24-1-mingw32-dev.tar.xz/download
Yes, there it is. :-) Thank you...

However, I just figured out that we (I) use a completely outdated version of exchndl. "jrfonseca" did a great job in continuously further developing it - he just switched from SVN to GIT and I didn't realise. So maybe we don't even need to compile it ourselves any longer. He ships binaries (Version 0.6.4 currently) for 32 and 64 bit also supporting DWARF meanwhile.

If at any time TDM-GCC becomes no longer relevant, I will happily cease. :)
NOOOOOOOOO! ;-)