Author Topic: A kind suggestion  (Read 7142 times)

ToApolytoXaos

A kind suggestion
« on: November 14, 2014, 03:30:35 pm »
Dear developers,

I have noticed a serious issue lately with the server and as @Obfuscated mentioned last night in #codeblocks channel, it must have been a DDoS attack on the server that caused it to go unresponsive. I think it's quite sad seeing the entire server going down and us becoming incapable to do anything about it.

What I would like to suggest though might anger some of you, but please be gentle; as the title says, it's *a kind suggestion*, nothing more.

Before I get started, I would like to congratulate you for the unbelievable achievement of reaching the 10 thousand+ revision of Code::Blocks; kudos to all who have work hard to bring it to the current state it is today. Well done fellas; it shows the great strength of a community that can do unimaginable things through collaboration.

Now, my kind suggestion; since the server becomes unresponsive quite often, why not move the website, forums, and wiki onto SourceForge's servers and get rid of this problematic hosting service? If I'm not mistaken, SF gives you the opportunity to create a custom Virtual Host and use your own domain name with your project. Here's the link http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Custom%20VHOSTs/

As far as I know, you have access to various databases, let alone MySQL. Also, since website hosts a very limited amount of information in contrast with wiki pages, why not replace it with a static website, like Jekyll, Nikola, or even a hand-made static website and save some database workload? I'm sure it will load a lot faster, by orders of magnitude with a plain static website; a bit polishing would become appealing to new candidates in contrast with the current one which looks a bit old comparing with the latest trends (if you care about looks that is of course).

I'm open for discussions and anxiously waiting for any kind of response.

Regards,

ToApolytoXaos

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: A kind suggestion
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 01:43:00 am »
or use cloudflare.
I'm not a internet admin, so i don't know, if the free service of cloudflare is enough, for this forum, hell i even don't know the half of the words they use on cloudflare ;) i just heard, that they are very effective against ddos...

just my two cents....

greetings

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 11:22:40 am »
Keep in mind that the DDoS claim was just a suggestion. I have no data to back it up, because I don't have access to the server!
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

ToApolytoXaos

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 02:30:37 pm »
or use cloudflare.
That's an excellent suggestion as well.

ToApolytoXaos

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 02:31:32 pm »
Keep in mind that the DDoS claim was just a suggestion. I have no data to back it up, because I don't have access to the server!
You mean you don't have an actual access to server's log files? that can show you whether you receive massive requests from a certain IP / domain.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 03:27:29 pm »
You mean you don't have an actual access to server's log files? that can show you whether you receive massive requests from a certain IP / domain.
No, no access, because the server admin is not available at the moment.
I don't think we had a DDOS-attack, because the server was either reachable (but the database not, possibly because of a running backup).
For a while the whole server was not available, but that was caused (at least here) by not reachable nameservers and therefore unknown ip-address of the server.
This is not necessary related to our server.

As long as Yannis (owner of the domain) is not reachable, we can not really move to anything else.
What we might be able to do is to put a redirection on the frontsite of the server, but I don't know if that can be done with joomla.

I do not have a good feeling with cloudflare or any other cloud-based services.

ToApolytoXaos

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 03:42:08 pm »
As long as Yannis (owner of the domain) is not reachable, we can not really move to anything else.
As far as I can see from his G+ account, he's a bit active in contrast to the forums. I hope this is his account btw lol! I guess he chose a different path now? who knows...

I do not have a good feeling with cloudflare or any other cloud-based services.
Me neither, but what to do? Oh, the server was down for more than 2 days for me. Back-bone issue between ISPs maybe?