Author Topic: Adding files Is very very Slow - FIXED.  (Read 5081 times)

boaz

Adding files Is very very Slow - FIXED.
« on: January 16, 2006, 05:25:50 pm »
I'm new here So Hi!

Let me first start with the good stuf  :D
I found C::B and I feel like a kid in a candy store. You people rock big time. I am all exited and have lots of Ideas for new plugins, templates, the lot ...

I have encountered one problem. That the core Guys might look into. I would but I'm only starting my way.

[Q]
If I go to the root of wxWidgets folder (standard download). Setup an "external makefile" project for build/msw/makefile.gcc. Than do "add files recursively". A list comes up with all the right files selected (.cpp .h ...) but when I press OK the CPU usage goes to 100%, An hour has passed and it is still frozen (CPU=100%).
Is this a bug or it is Just very very slow?
One of the things I hate about VC++ 6.0 is the way it (miss)handles big (Huge) projects. it takes for ever to load and build. KDevelop2 had the same problem and would crash if the project (number of files) was bigger than allocated virtual memory. KDevelop3 does not have this problem at all and it seams like the size of the project (number of files) is not at all relevant to the load time. What in C::B is o(n) or o(n^2) on the number of files? Or is it one of the plugins like the code browser that is synchronous to the creation of a project. Any Idea's ?

Free Life
Boaz Harrosh
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 08:17:57 am by rickg22 »

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: Adding files Is very very Slow
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 05:48:25 pm »
Try disabling the code-completion plugin and report back. I believe this delay (or hang?) might be because of it.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

boaz

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 07:23:13 pm »
Yes you are right. It works.

If I than enable the plugin again. Exit as requested, and load again. After a short delay, the Environment becomes responsive I can edit, compile do anything.

But CPU=100% for C::B which means the code completion is busy in the background. which is a good thing.

So the only issue is when adding new files. It should be done in the background.

Thanks this stuff is grate

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 09:10:39 pm »
When adding new files... i'll take a look at it. Yiannis, any pointers that might help?

HAH! I think I know what happened. The files are added one by one, but not inside a batch parse. So each time a file finishes parsing, the whole codecompletion tree is being reconstructed again, and again - in the MAIN THREAD. And when it finishes, it starts again - and again, and again. So for 3000 files it'll be about 100,000 tokens - parsed 3000 times. Eew. I'll fix it.

Edit: Maybe I was wrong, but in any case I'm working on it.

Edit: FIXED! :D Now you'll only experience a 20-second hang :P, but at least you'll be able to see what's happening. I'm working on that, too :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 08:17:27 am by rickg22 »