Author Topic: 2700 + directories in project folder - why?  (Read 3819 times)

Offline mijewen

• Multiple posting newcomer
2700 + directories in project folder - why?
« on: June 29, 2014, 03:21:36 am »
Folks,

Did I make an installation error?
During installation/initialisation of C::B, I was asked to name a project directory.  I chose My Documents\C_Proj
Everything has been working fine, and I see the directory tree ...

My Documents
  + <other stuff>
  + C_Proj
     + E
     + Fishes
     + Test Pointer pointers
     + Test recursive function
  + Downloads
  etc, etc.

I'm working on Fishes, but along the way, I needed to teach myself something about passing pointers to pointers to a function (MyFunc(struct s **pt)), and about recursive functions. 

It's heartbreaking, when you're putting time and interest into a project to lose it, so I decided to back it up onto my MP3 player, along with the podcasts that I download each day.  First, though, I checked the Properties of my C_Proj folder to be sure I had enough space on the MP3 player.  To my astonishment, it said there were 2794 directories.  I thought it must be mistaken, but started expanding them, and although I didn't go all the way, it seems to be right.
They all live behind that "E" directory.  When I expand it, I see ...

My Documents
  + <other stuff>
  + C_Proj
     - E
        - Backup
          - C_Proj
            - E
              - Backup
                - C_Proj
                  -E
           etc, till I run out of screen space.

I can't delete the E directory (even after un-ticking its Read Only box), and I didn't expand it far enough to find out where the files in it are, but Properties tells me that there are 64K in files in there somewhere.

Can anybody tell me a bit more about this please, and how I should best manage it.  Backing that up onto a USB device will take forever!

Thanks ... Mij

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: 2700 + directories in project folder - why?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 07:02:16 am »
Did I make an installation error?
Nope. Also, C::B does not create recursive folders and/or mysterious "Backup" folders. I am sorry, but you should check your backup software or alike (your recursive function?!) to see what caused this.

This is not a C::B issue.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline mijewen

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: 2700 + directories in project folder - why?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 02:35:36 pm »
Many thanks, MortenMacFly,

Armed with the knowledge that it's not a C::B issue, I set about deleting the invalid directory, which took me an entire day.  DOS was unable to access the path, and the directory was locked by Win Explorer.  I eventually downloaded a utility called Unlocker.exe, which said "The directory could not be removed" - but when I looked for it again, it had gone, and everything is looking good again.  I have no idea where that E directory came from, and although I discovered it through checking its properties, I had not run any backup against it.  I still haven't, so I don't know where the Backup directories came from either.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.  Thanks again for your input.