Author Topic: Now What?  (Read 2771 times)

Offline Necer149

• Single posting newcomer
Now What?
« on: June 21, 2014, 10:19:44 pm »
Hi, my name is Mark and I am new to the forums. I just downloaded Code::Blocks today and did the Hello world! command. Now what should I do next? I am only 13 and always wanted to have a software engineering career at somewhere that makes cameras (like Canon, Sony, Nikon etc.), and I sent an application and downloaded the Canon SDK (Software Developers Kit). I opened the headers in Code:Blocks and I am just overwhelmed as to what I see on my computer screen. What did you guys do after creating your first program to advance in the C/C++ language?

Thanks,

Mark

ToApolytoXaos

Re: Now What?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 11:01:35 pm »
First of all, welcome to Code::Blocks forums.

To make a few things clear here Necer149, this forum is for support to Code::Blocks IDE and not how to teach you programming.

It's very encouraging to know a kid like you at the age of 13 finds programming interesting, let alone overwhelming, therefore I would like to ask you the following questions:

• What language do you know?
  • How well do you know it?
  • What is your currect objective with programming other than the aforementioned SDKs you have mentioned?
  • Have you seen other programming languages, like Python or Lua?

My suggestion would be, pick up the language you like the most, read a couple of books, then start messing with other people's code, don't afraid to make mistakes; through mistakes you master your tools, because let's face it; a programming language it's a tool for us humans to express our ideas and concepts.

You may Google a few book titles or for some stackoverflow links that suggest books by experts, and basically that's it.

Practice, practice, practice.

Offline Necer149

• Single posting newcomer
Re: Now What?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 11:20:32 pm »
I know just a tiny bit of C/C++. Sadly that has to be all that I know. My objective with programming is to just be able to get the basics down with the modern languages used today, and just to have some background knowledge. Like my father always says, it is always good to get a head start! And to answer your 4th question, no, I have not seen other languages.

My older brother and dad have a lot of books on programming. In fact, I have a C++ one sitting right next to me. My dad is a big Java person, he has worked with Java for who knows how long, so I can have him help me with that. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do a little research later tonight.

Mark