Author Topic: After reinstall codeblocks programs will no longer compile please help.  (Read 17280 times)

Offline carlyn

• Multiple posting newcomer
I bought a great book, 'C Programming  Absolute Beginner's Guide'  and it had me go to codeblocks and download the IDE to work with,i have had no problems except i had to roll back my dell laptop to a previous date due to other problems.

This also meant i had to reinstall codeblocks. Now it wont compile or run my code. I get an error saying it can't find compiler or something. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled again, still getting error messages, I dont understand ?

This is on my WIN 7 Laptop. Its working fine on my Mint PC :)

Anyway this is the error on my laptop...

Debug": The compiler's setup (GNU GCC Compiler) is invalid, so Code::Blocks cannot find/run the compiler.
Probably the toolchain path within the compiler options is not setup correctly?! (Do you have a compiler installed?)
Goto "Settings->Compiler...->Global compiler settings->GNU GCC Compiler->Toolchain executables" and fix the compiler's setup.
Skipping...

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Did you do what the message asked you to do ?
Isn't it clear enough ?
What else do you expect ?

Offline carlyn

i did nav to where it told me to go, looked at all the setting.... didnt know what to do , so just clicked OK button.

All of a sudden its fixed itself. thanks dickhead.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
i did nav to where it told me to go, looked at all the setting.... didnt know what to do , so just clicked OK button.

All of a sudden its fixed itself. thanks dickhead.
Why do you get offending ?
What do you expect from this forum, if you behave like this ?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:06:15 pm by jens »

Offline carlyn

obviously english is not you first language so i wont bother trying to explain anything here. Ask your master whats wrong!

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
obviously english is not you first language so i wont bother trying to explain anything here. Ask your master whats wrong!
If you think I misunderstood you (probably because of my little knowledge of the english language) you should explain what you mean.
Or I'm forced to believe ii's meant offending and ban you from the forum.

Offline carlyn

Well, I apologise, I thought we were both having a go at each other . maybe its because ive been up since 2am or you have ;)  Anyway if wecan move past that I am having a similar problem. This time Ive just tried to use CODEBLOCKS on Mint Linux and it wont build ??

I dont understand the error message, it says no such directory but that is not true. maybe you can understand it...I hope...

Code

-------------- Build: Debug in my 1 (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)---------------

gcc -Wall -g  -c "/home/doom/Desktop/my 1/main.c" -o obj/Debug/main.o
/home/doom/Desktop/my 1/main.c:1:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
 #include <stdio.h>
                   ^
compilation terminated.
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minute(s), 0 second(s))
1 error(s), 0 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 0 second(s))

Offline carlyn

Im very new at programming, i have another question.... when you/I select new project there are options which include Fortran and AVR, does this mean that CODEBLOCKS can write code for AVR chips and can you use CODEBLOCKS to write Fortran ?  I know the question is probably silly to even ask ;)

thx ,Mike.

Offline carlyn

38 reads and still nobody can help ?

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Don't be so impatient.
Not everybody who reads a topic is logged in, not everybody can answer or wants to answer.

About the "no such file or directory"-error:
I think if a c-compiler (gcc) is installed the appropriate dev-packages shoud be dependencies and isnatalle automatically.
But I do not use mint, so it might be different. On debian the "stdio.h"-header is in the "libc6-dev"-package.

And yes you can use C::B to write fortran-programs, there exists a fortran-plugin, which might or might not be included in the contrib-plugins, depending on your version and distro.
If you have a cross-compiler you can also develop for avr (and other embedded systems). An avr-compiler is most likely included in mint.
You can not axpect any more sophisticated help from me, because I do not do embedded development (except sps-programming with a codesys-derivate) and the last time I developped in fortran is more than twenty years ago.

Offline carlyn

well as the IDE gets installed from the Mint repository I'd have thought it would just work. I have been using Linux for a week so I'm cluless about packages . I dont need it to work in Linux but ill see if i can !!!

Offline carlyn

I had to install packages and then also install xterm !!!!

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
I had to install packages and then also install xterm !!!!
Why are you surprised?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline carlyn

I'm surprised because it feels a bit like as if Libra Office was recommended to me and I install that thought the Ubuntu/Mint repository. And I try typing a letter and nothing happens. So I google the problem and find out you have to go to your terminal and use the command line to install the fonts. I'd be surprised they couldn't have included the fonts in the first place ?

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
C::b doesn`t need xterm to work (your programs will compile and run fine without it...). So it is not a dependency, and why should c::b then install it?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
C::B is multipurpose C/C++ ide, I hope you don't expect C::B to depend on all supported compilers, SDKs, libraries, etc!
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
C::b doesn`t need xterm to work (your programs will compile and run fine without it...). So it is not a dependency, and why should c::b then install it?
On debian and rpm-based distros it's a dependency since this year (january 2014), because we had too much posts because of a missing xterm (or other terminal-emulator) and xterm is the default setting in C::B and has no (or very few) external dependencies itself..

Offline carlyn

jens, thx.  could you educate me on what debian, rpm based distros... means versus Ubuntu/mint. i have ubuntu on one drive and mint on another. just because my googling of linux led me to believe they were quite novice friendly which so far seem to be working out for me.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Which distro to use is very much a matter of taste.
I have used debian for a long time, but never liked ubuntu.
I switched to fedora some time ago (two years or so).
You can work with all of them.

If you want more actual C::B, you can have alook at our nightlies threads in http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/board,20.0.html.
Announced are windows builds, but in the answers you find links to linux nightlies for several distros.

If you use recent ubuntu or fedora you can use one of my repos (see my signature for links with more detailed instructions), I do not have mint (at the moment), but it might also work.
The official repos of the distros usually have older revisions of the official releases. That's one cause, why we always want to know the version-number of C::B.