Author Topic: New Plugin: wxCrafter Integration with CodeBlocks  (Read 24869 times)

Offline eranif

• Regular
New Plugin: wxCrafter Integration with CodeBlocks
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:28:28 pm »
Hi,

I wrote a small plugin that integrates wxCrafter Standalone application with CodeBlocks
The plugin includes:

- Instantly create a wxWidgets project using a wizard with wxCrafter resource file
- Added new view 'wxCrafter' tab which allows you to quickly create a new "wxForm"
- All generated files are automatically added to the project and to all build targets

The source code for the plugin can be found here:
https://github.com/eranif/wxCrafterCB

A short video showing the plugin in action (recommended to view in 1080p):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=667mdb2AQaE

A plugin installer for Windows (it also installs wxCrafter 1.5 + the Code::Blocks plugin):
http://codelite.org/downloads/wxCrafter/wxCrafterDownloads.php?windows_plugin_cb

I only built it for Windows (my users requested it for Windows only ;) ) ...

Note that the plugin was compiled against CodeBlocks 13.12 SDK, so I am not sure if it will work with a recent nightly

Eran
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 08:03:54 pm by eranif »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: New Plugin: wxCrafter Integration with CodeBlocks
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 11:44:03 pm »
Hm, interesting plugin and tool.  ;)
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 06:39:48 am »
Hi Eran,

that's very interesting... I'll try to compile/use this tool.

In case it is well working, would you want us to integrate this permanently into the SVN source tree? This would integrate it into nightly builds and (of course) releases, too. Hence you would need access to continue development...

Another options is (how we do it i.e. with the FortranProject plugin) that you use SVN sow we can integrate this plugin through svn::externals. This way you would have full access to the repo and it would be one of yours...

Just share your thoughts...
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 08:45:54 am »
I see wxCrafter is not a free software (nor a open source software). If we put the plugin in our trunk, do we promote such kind of software usage? I personally have concern about this. (I may be wrong...)
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 09:25:37 am »
...we can integrate this plugin through svn::externals...
Won't work he is using git.
I also have missed the non-OSS-ness part of the wxCrafter.

And I'm generally against adding every single plugin in the plugins/contrib subdir.
We should try to make things easier for plugin writers (stable api/abi, etc) instead.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 11:58:08 am »
...we can integrate this plugin through svn::externals...
Won't work he is using git.
Thats why I wrote:
Another options is (how we do it i.e. with the FortranProject plugin) that you use SVN sow we can integrate this plugin through svn::externals.

And I'm generally against adding every single plugin in the plugins/contrib subdir.
We should try to make things easier for plugin writers (stable api/abi, etc) instead.
I think this is another topic. For now, all I am thinking of is that you can have a single build with relevant external plugins so they make it into nightlies but being managed by an own person not necessarily a member of the C::B development team. With relevant I mean plugins that have a stable development team (so they don't get stalled) and that provide important (new) features. So I am far away from putting "everything" into contrib. In fact I want to put into contrib only whats available in a long-term period. And I believe with Eran thats the case. I would be happy if everything in contrib is a svn::external repo and managed by somebody else.

About the none-OSS - that's another story. In fact I played with wxCrafter and it has some advantages over wxSmith (though I still prefer using wxSmith myself). There is a freeware version which I would expect remains free (if not we can still remove it at that time). In the end we also have interfaces to commercial compilers like MSVC or Intel which is even worse. Should we remove those, too then?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline eranif

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 12:34:15 pm »
would you want us to integrate this permanently into the SVN source tree?
This will be more than great

I'll try to compile/use this tool.
Let me add a CMakeLists.txt file so you can generate a Code::Blocks project with it (atm , I used codelite to build it)

Another options is (how we do it i.e. with the FortranProject plugin) that you use SVN sow we can integrate this plugin through svn::externals. This way you would have full access to the repo and it would be one of yours...
Just share your thoughts...
I can move the plugin sources to SF and use SVN - this is not a problem at all by me ( I have no preferences for git over svn )

Eran

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 08:14:42 am »
I can move the plugin sources to SF and use SVN - this is not a problem at all by me ( I have no preferences for git over svn )
I think that would be the best solution for both sides unless we cannot find an agreement within the team.

ToApolytoXaos

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 12:15:18 pm »
If wxCrafter was fully FOSS-ed would be more than convenient for many, I'm sure. But my major concern is about its license.

Does not this affects Code::Blocks's concept or are there any plans to move plugin to a more "permissive" license (business-wise that is)?

This is something that concerns me greatly and I would like some clarifications please.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 01:41:32 pm »
If wxCrafter was fully FOSS-ed would be more than convenient for many, I'm sure. But my major concern is about its license.

Does not this affects Code::Blocks's concept or are there any plans to move plugin to a more "permissive" license (business-wise that is)?

This is something that concerns me greatly and I would like some clarifications please.

You are already allowed to use closed source plugins; how do you think it can get more "permissive" license (business-wise that is)?

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline eranif

• Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 03:40:26 pm »
If wxCrafter was fully FOSS-ed would be more than convenient for many
How is wxCrafter related here? its a tool, similar to VC compiler, Intel compiler or even Windows Explorer all of are not open source tools... and yet CodeBlocks allows access to them...

I simply created a plugin to allows CodeBlocks to interact with yet another tool (let call it wxCrafter) in a smoother way, you can choose to use it or to ignore it.
The plugin itself (again, _not_ wxCrafter) is open source, what Morten suggested was to add the plugin sources to the SVN

Does not this affects Code::Blocks's concept or are there any plans to move plugin to a more "permissive" license
I really don't understand this statement. The plugin is opened source. wxCrafter is not. Don't mix between the two

Eran

Offline digifuzzy

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 08:02:50 pm »
Is this the same tool as this ?

From web page:
What is wxCrafter?
wxCrafter is a RAD tool which allows a rapid development of wxWidgets based applications.
You can use wxCrafter as a CodeLite IDE plugin or as a standalone application
wxCrafter utilizes the code completion engine of codelite for better code generation and maintenance.

Offline eranif

• Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 10:44:52 am »
Insert Quote
Is this the same tool as this ?
Yes, its the same tool

Eran

ToApolytoXaos

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 03:07:29 pm »
I really don't understand this statement. The plugin is opened source. wxCrafter is not. Don't mix between the two
My apologies eranif; it was my bad, i'm sorry. I did not know about plugins' permissions. After I read more about it from wiki pages, I understood completely what you said.

My apologies for once again.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 03:45:13 pm »
Anyone succeed in downloading the CB 13.12 plugin?

I am have issues; but, my internet is sometimes poor.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org