Author Topic: Code Hinting but not Completion  (Read 16887 times)

Offline pieman

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Code Hinting but not Completion
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 08:25:33 pm »
Hey.

Hello?

Frankly, it's just a waste of screen real estate to have a window permanently open to display contextual info like this.

NO! I SAID A TAB, MULTIPLE TIMES. A tab integrated into the logs panel. It makes perfect sense. After you get your build messages, you'll be pushing through code using the build messages. Once you've fixed your code to be however you want it fixed, then you'll possibly be working on new, novel code. In that circumstance, it's appropriate to switch from build messages to the "contextual info" while developing new stuff, rather than fixing issues named in the build messages!

What the fuck people..

A tab. A tab. A tab! How do you manage to concede this and unmistakable simple design decision?

BUILD PROGRAM.

LOOK, BUILD MESSAGES.

ADDRESS BUILD MESSAGES.

GOOD.

NOW I HAVE THOUGHTS ON SOMETHING NEW I NEED TO WORK ON.

SWITCH FROM BUILD MESSAGES TAB TO SYMBOLS LIST TAB.

NOW THE BUILD MESSAGES TAB HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH THE SYMBOLS LIST TAB.

I DO NOT NEED THE BUILD MESSAGES TAB. IT HAS BEEN APPROPRIATELY REPLACED.

SCREEN SPACE CONSERVED.

Freaking shit.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:31:41 pm by pieman »
I like pie.

Offline pieman

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 08:37:17 pm »
Game Maker's code editor lacked line numbers. Have you mistaken that screenshot image as like a scratch pad window thing? It's not. It's a code editor.
I like pie.

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 08:40:07 pm »
Let me fix that for you... :D

What the fuck people..

BUILD PROGRAM.

LOOK, BUILD MESSAGES.

ADDRESS BUILD MESSAGES.

GOOD.

NOW I HAVE THOUGHTS ON SOMETHING NEW I NEED TO WORK ON.

F2 - HIDE LOGS AND OTHERS, ENJOY IMPRESSIVE VISTA OF CODE WITH CODECOMPLETION POPUPS RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE TYPING.

SCREEN SPACE MAXIMIZED!

Also on a wide screen, the placement on the left side of symbols is probably a better use of screen real estate than displaying that info below.

Offline pieman

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 08:48:22 pm »
Actually, I do that indeed. I use F2 frequently (and I sometimes pin the logs panel to the right), but I'm saying, if you're keeping the logs panel open anyway, it may as well be more useful when you're not tracing the build messages.

It makes sense to me to have the feature I suggested paired in the same neighborhood as build messages, since build messages are attached to symbols and line numbers (they're a browsing solution). When I write new code, I don't want to browse, I want to reference (without browsing; need to focus on code HERE)! It's quite a nice duality, I think.

Code completion won't appear if a function (or whatever) has already been written. Then I must visit declarations. This wastes my time quite effectively. It makes it somewhat more difficult to focus on whatever I'm programming.

.. and it fucks up what I'm typing and when I'm typing I won't notice the evil shit popup out of hell and then rape my children before I finish typing. That's why I leave code completion disabled.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:04:21 pm by pieman »
I like pie.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 09:13:07 pm »
Code completion won't appear if a function (or whatever) has already been written. Then I must visit declarations. This wastes my time quite effectively. It makes it somewhat more difficult to focus on whatever I'm programming.

.. and it fucks up what I'm typing and when I'm typing I won't notice the evil shit popup out of hell and then rape my children before I finish typing. That's why I leave code completion disabled.

actually not, just move the mouse cursor in top of the function and a popup will show you your info...

and why you don't ignore the cc popup?

Offline pieman

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 09:23:38 pm »
Hmm. I'm reconsidering the code completion options. I thought I had gone through it painfully and tried to configure it how I'd like (without success) already. On a second investigation, it seems more promising. The code completion toolbar does exactly what I was requesting initially. I never noticed that. Whoops :-\

Let's see about what seemed to eternally and ingracefully replace whatever I was typing, because that doesn't seem like such a solid complaint ( I was probably just being a dumbass ).

I was probably in a shitty mood and things didn't work exactly as I expected, so I didn't bother enough with actually coming to understand how it worked. :-*
I'm often in a shitty mood. :P

All of this was decided when I first began to use Code::Blocks, which remains by far the best and most sensible C++ IDE yet. That was many years ago, so I've forgotten what code completion was like anyway. That was also with a much older version. :-X

Edit:

No. Wait, it only adapts to the current scope. It's still a pointless browsing thing. Ugh. Also, I noticed the tooltip a few minutes ago. Yeah. I've made some comments about that elsehwere.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:31:32 pm by pieman »
I like pie.

Offline pieman

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 09:38:23 pm »
Errm. WHAT WAS REPLACING MY STUFF? Maybe I had the "Auto-select" option enabled. Was that the culprit?
I like pie.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 09:43:17 pm »
Errm. WHAT WAS REPLACING MY STUFF? Maybe I had the "Auto-select" option enabled. Was that the culprit?
i don't know any feature that replaces without your intention...

PS. : PLEASE DON'T SHOUT this is rude... also your other expressions aren't very nice. CC is a main feature of c::b and many developer are happy with it. If you want this feature really bad i recommend you to use your energy to implement it and not to flame on this forum...

Offline pieman

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 05:40:39 am »
struct ThisIs *enter*
struct ThisIsWhyCodeCompletionCanBeAnnoying

When I meant to write: ThisIs

I guess you could fix this by disabling code completion on the same line as a struct/class/union declaration.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:42:19 am by pieman »
I like pie.

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 07:49:04 am »
Have you tried Shift-Enter?

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 11:28:18 am »
or ctrl+j (see the magic)

[Edit:] sry, this works only if you write struct/class/switch and hit ctrl+j. For your problem, you can also simply add a white space after typing your word, and then hit enter...

greetings
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:06:16 pm by BlueHazzard »