Author Topic: Website bug  (Read 3943 times)

Offline stugol

• Single posting newcomer
Website bug
« on: January 02, 2014, 03:29:35 am »
Do you know how annoying it is to be told "you haven't answered the security questions correctly" because you've specified 2014 as the goddamn year? Jesus, how hard is it to stick a date() call in your code, instead of hard-coding 2013? Incidentally, do you really need four separate turing tests on the page?

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Website bug
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:28:40 am »
Do you know how annoying it is to be told "you haven't answered the security questions correctly" because you've specified 2014 as the goddamn year? Jesus, how hard is it to stick a date() call in your code, instead of hard-coding 2013? Incidentally, do you really need four separate turing tests on the page?
Do you know how frustrating it is, if you maintain software, a forum and a website in your sparetime and some users get rude, if not everything is done/answered after seconds ?
And yes we need so much tests to avoid spam, no other approach really works.
And the answer is hardcoded, so a date() call is not done.
I can say we did not change the answer until it was 2014 everywhere on earth  ;) , but in fact it seems the admin whoa added this question just forgot to change it.

Nevertheless thanks for reporting it, I changed it to the correct year.

Offline cacb

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 01:00:18 pm »
Do you know how frustrating it is, if you maintain software, a forum and a website in your sparetime and some users get rude, if not everything is done/answered after seconds ?

I, for one, would like to use this opportunity to thank you and the other maintainers of Code::Blocks for the splendid work being done, and wish you a very Happy New Year!

The proof that my thanks are sincere is that I am using Code::Blocks every day!

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:29:29 pm »
As for Turing tests, please be free to seek out the next person in your neighbourhood who is using bots to automate registering hundreds of spam accounts on forums and hit them hard with a metal rod. When they're on the ground, kick them against the head real hard to be sure they understood your concern.

As long as people use bots, you'll have to live with annoying shit like this.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."