Author Topic: Breakpoint Being Ignored <with full debugger log>  (Read 20456 times)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Breakpoint Being Ignored <with full debugger log>
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 09:36:37 am »
I think you may have a hunch where to look in the code.....Can you please give me a heads-up on which of the source files you pointed me at, where the whole debugger gets called and integrated into C::B?
BlueHazzard gave you the link to the files, debuggergdb.cpp is the main one.
But I don't think the problems is inside the debugger plugin. It is related to the initialization of something that has a data-race or something like that, but I don't know what.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

dcbdbis

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 07:27:19 pm »
It is related to the initialization of something that has a data-race or something like that, but I don't know what.

Ok, I understand. Now that I know where all the source code resides... It seems that I need to look at the section of C::B that initiates the debugger. I will now turn my attention to the code and the browser framework and start to look. No promises...but the more eyes that are looking at this problem.....the sooner we'll all find it!

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Dave

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 09:59:09 pm »
Ok, I understand. Now that I know where all the source code resides... It seems that I need to look at the section of C::B that initiates the debugger.

No, this is not a problem with the debugger interface per se. As oBfUsCaTeD showed you, if you open a terminal (e.g. gnome-terminal) from Code::Blocks and start the debugger from the terminal, you will still have this problem. This is most likely a problem with how we call wxExecute or, just as likely, with wxExecute itself.

I have had all kinds of unexpected issues with wxExecute in the past (unrelated to the debugger) where behavior of a process spawned by C::B (or spawned by some process originally spawned by C::B) is very odd.

Also see http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=4435.0

dcbdbis

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 10:07:51 pm »
This is most likely a problem with how we call wxExecute or, just as likely, with wxExecute itself.

Understood, this would mean that this issue may not span across all versions of the wxWidget libary. Has anyone built C::B against wxWidgets 3 or 2.9.* to see if this issue remains across different versions of the wx toolkit?

Sincerely,

Dave

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 03:24:35 am »
I'm not 100% sure I've tried it against wx29/30. Can you try it and report if it works 100% of the time?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:52:11 am by oBFusCATed »
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

dcbdbis

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 07:52:42 pm »
Yes, I'll build it against wxWidgets 3.

But....I need to finish up one small piece of software for the local Bicycle Outfitter (client) before I can risk screwing up my exiting project.

I have ~ 8 hours left before it is complete....so a Monday-Tuesday build is likely going to be the timeline.

Sincerely,

Dave

dcbdbis

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 07:47:55 pm »
Finshed up the project last night. Once I get back from the gym today, I'll start the build of C::B against wxWidgets 3.

FYI,

Dave

dcbdbis

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 02:12:53 am »
OK. Built C::B against wxWidgets 3. Absolutely no build issues at all.

I have attached the "About" to validate that it did indeed build against wxWidgets 3.

I have used the new C::B-RC-2 this afternoon, and unfortunately I must report that the debugger problem is the same. NOT better, NOT worse, the same.......

I apologize for the bad news.......

So to assist, do you have any idea at all where I should start looking code wise? In C::B? or in the debugger?

Thanks!

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 02:37:46 am »
All code related to wxExecute and PipedProcess probably...

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 03:48:54 am »
Is it possible that the EnvVars plugin somehow messes things up? (seems unlikely, but maybe try with a minimal set of plugins enabled)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:52:56 am by dmoore »

dcbdbis

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 06:38:30 pm »
Now that C::B RC-2 is installed and built against wxWidgets 3.....

Can someone provide me with a procedure to install the wxSmith plugin in this rev?

I went into the src tree where the source lives....but attempting to execute the classic ./configure......make........sudo make install"[/i] fails. The configure script is not present, and the plugin was not built when I originally built C::B 13.12-RC2.

I would appreciate some assistance, then it appears I am good to go.... I would like to stay on this release as it is wxWidgets 3 friendly.

Sincerely,

Dave

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 07:00:46 pm »
To build all contrib-plugins (including wxSmith), run the configure-script with --with-contrib-plugins=all, to build just some of the plugins, look into the output of the configure-script with --help parameter.

dcbdbis

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 07:02:33 pm »
Thank You!

Sincerely,

Dave

Offline wayne.workman2012

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 05:23:27 am »
Hello,

I'm learning C++, and chose Code::Blocks as my IDE of choice.

This is because it seems to be the only one that will install correctly on Fedora 21.

I'm having problems with breakpoints. They are ignored.

I've set the option for   Settings ->  Compiler -> Compiler Settings     to -g   and ensured that  -s  is off.

I've also made sure that the path my project is in doesn't contain spaces, and the project name itself doesn't have spaces.

I'm lost. Just need guidance.

Thanks,
Wayne

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2015, 05:55:28 am »
Two things you can try:
1. Inspect the debuggers log for errors
2. Try to debug the program with gdb directly from a terminal and see if it works.