Author Topic: [REQ] Step by step tutorial for setting up Codeblox for VS2003.  (Read 5245 times)

Offline Thothie

• Single posting newcomer
[REQ] Step by step tutorial for setting up Codeblox for VS2003.
« on: December 09, 2013, 04:09:44 pm »
I've got a few projects that require VS2003 - but needless to say, the ancient beast doesn't play nice with new OS's (or even some of the older ones), and running it in a vbox is kind of a pain.

So I've got all the files I need... But I can't for the life of me seem to rig up Codeblox to compile any of these projects. Not sure if it's using the wrong linker params, or I've added the wrong files, or what. Specifically, I need to compile DLL's for ancient game engines.

So, a very specific step by step tutorial (plug in files such and such, in sections such and such) would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Thothie

Re: [REQ] Step by step tutorial for setting up Codeblox for VS2003.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 07:07:14 pm »
Yeeeah, that’s all very nice, and I've been through most of that, but none of the documentation is very specific about which steps to take, and there’s so many files to point to and define, and so many places to put pointers to said files, that it’s neigh impossible to figure out for any individual compiler (at least not as one as cumbersome as VS).

So what I r saying, is that it’d be nice if there were step by step tutorials for commonly used compilers (which is why I'm not asking about a specific compile issue). I suppose VS2003 is a tad to ancient to fall into the category of “common”, but if there was a tutorial for some more recent version, it might be possible to work things out from there.

A lot of the documentation just lauds about how the product is capable of doing this, but gives no real clues as to how to make it do so – beyond using the standard pull down, which obviously isn't enough.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:12:50 pm by Thothie »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 09:13:34 pm »
Hm, as far as I remember, setting a VS compiler is exactly the same for all the versions I've tried (2003, 2005, 2008).
The steps look similar to the one depicted in http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_a_supported_compiler#Intel_C.2B.2B_Compiler you'll only have to modify the paths to match the paths on your system.

When you finishing the setup it would be great if you can enhance this section with a description for your compiler.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 11:43:27 pm »
You doesn't describe your exact problem...
Have you problems by adding files, or by setting the compiler up, or at compiling?
we can't write a exact step by step guide for exact your problem if we don't know what you want to do....

greetings

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Thothie

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 05:51:09 pm »
That's more like it! Thank you!

Should really have one of those for every major compiler in the wiki, somewhere.

Sadly, this particular project still doesn't wanna compile under Code Blocks, even with that, but it's a rather temperamental one. I'll have to hack at it some more... When I give up, I'll follow the instructions linked yonder, as suggested.

Thing doesn't seem to be importing my compile parameters right from the vcproj... Or something... But OT for another thread I suppose.