Author Topic: Vertical split two files  (Read 11514 times)

Offline bluthundr

• Single posting newcomer
Vertical split two files
« on: November 25, 2013, 04:06:57 pm »
Looking around, I figured out how to horizontally split two separate source files, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get them to split vertically (side-by-side) instead. Some help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Vertical split two files
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 04:33:09 pm »
Drag an editor tab to the left or right side of the window and you should see a shaded rectangle showing you how the editor window will be split.

Offline bluthundr

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 04:48:34 pm »
Thanks! Finally got it figured out.  That function is not very user-friendly at all...

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:11:08 pm »
if you want to split the same file (in the same tab) , you can do:
right click->Split View-> Horizontally/Vertically

Drag an editor tab to the left or right side of the window and you should see a shaded rectangle showing you how the editor window will be split.
Thanks! Finally got it figured out.  That function is not very user-friendly at all...
At least as i know every modern program does it in this way... What would be more user-friendly in your opinion?
Thanks

greetings.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 05:15:22 pm »
What would be more user-friendly in your opinion?
Visual studio does it very well. It is the same approach, but done better.
Unfortunately we are dependant on the wxAUI component and it doesn't support it, yet. Hopefully in the future it will provide this feature.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline bluthundr

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 05:46:16 pm »
What would be more user-friendly in your opinion?

I would say that it's not "user-friendly" because there's no easily recognizable way of knowing how to use it.  The very fact that people are having to look to the forums to find out how to use it is indicative of this. 

I would look at the implementation done by Notepad++ - all you have to do is right-click on the tab and select 'Move to other view'.  That being said, it goes to vertical display by default and I didn't dig through it to figure out how to change it to horizontal.  Personally, I find vertical display way more useful anyway, but I suppose that's a personal preference.  Even so, it shouldn't be that difficult to just add a menu item that toggles between vertical and horizontal displays.

Anyway, it's just this one thing that bugs me.  Overall, I like Codeblocks a lot, so kudos to the team!

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 06:37:33 pm »
Even so, it shouldn't be that difficult to just add a menu item that toggles between vertical and horizontal displays.
It might be possible, but it depends on the availability of the API in wxAUI component.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 08:36:49 pm »
It's not possible at the moment as far as I know, but wxAui is under development and will have this feature in the future.
Also tabs at left and right side instead of just top and bottom.