Author Topic: Creative thoughts about CodeBlocks  (Read 6753 times)

Offline beqroson

• Multiple posting newcomer
Creative thoughts about CodeBlocks
« on: November 13, 2013, 02:11:09 pm »
Since the last thread I had about the idea of a plugin got no further due to the state of things. Then I thought to try to find some other project that is related to CodeBlocks. (In the mean time I have a couple of programming manuals to read about the Falcon programming language, really interesting)

I have a couple of ideas about that:

• To make an effort to translate menus in CodeBlocks. I am not sure how far this has come.
  • Perhaps do some translation of the manual? I do not know what the policy is here.
  • Having build options on the Workspace tab level.
  • Improving on the debugger output window

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Creative thoughts about CodeBlocks
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 02:20:07 pm »
For Translation read this thread.

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,1022.0.html

All the translation threads seem to be in the same sub forum as the above thread.

Official user docs including manual links here
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=User_documentation#Official_user_document

If I recall correctly (IIRC) there is a thread somewhere about debugger redesign; but, I do not really pay attention to debugger stuff.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:29:03 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 02:51:37 pm »
Would you be kind enough to explain what do you want to improve there?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline beqroson

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 05:32:09 pm »
Would you be kind enough to explain what do you want to improve there?

Edit: That should probably have read "Debugger variables output window" instead.

I am not sure if there already is someone doing things there. But, lately I have been using the debugger quite a lot. Due to a sloppy style of programming, which may not be the most efficient. Nevertheless, I had the feeling that it could be improved, but I am not sure. Something that hit me was that function variables and variables in scope is automatically added, which slows down (just a little bit). They could perhaps be defaulted to not being shown. I am not sure if there is an opposite opinion about this. Then there was that I tried to change the type of display for a variable, which I in the rush could not find how to do.

Then I had another idea, which seems to be more advanced and perhaps a little too much. And that would be to be able to create a more advanced display of a variable. For example I had a class that stored a pointer, but which always for some design reason, were shifted up 3 bits. To get the actual pointer from that member variable I had to use a calculator every time to shift down 3 bits to see the value. If a display of a variable could be preprocessed like so (SomeClass.mPointer >> 3). I have no clue how difficult it would be to implement or how valuable that could be.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:34:55 pm by beqroson »

Offline beqroson

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 05:58:13 pm »
For Translation read this thread.

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,1022.0.html

All the translation threads seem to be in the same sub forum as the above thread.

Official user docs including manual links here
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=User_documentation#Official_user_document

If I recall correctly (IIRC) there is a thread somewhere about debugger redesign; but, I do not really pay attention to debugger stuff.

Tim S.

I can see that there really is mostly activity in the French translation file. There are a lot of strings. Also, they need to be updated often. So, translating into Swedish seems to be open. I wonder how many would benefit... (sceptic) I still am considering this though.

Offline LETARTARE

• Lives here!
  • L'ami de l'homme.The friend of man.
    • LETARTARE
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 06:43:44 pm »
goodnight,
for the translation of menus, another link
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,18223.0.html

cordially.
CB-13483, plugins-sdk-2.25.0 : Collector-2.0.0, AddOnForQt-3.9.1
1-Win7 Business Pack1 64bits : wx-3.2.4, gcc-8.1.0,
2-OpenSuse::Leap-15.4-64bits : wx-3.2.4;gtk3, gcc-8.2.1,
=> !! The messages are translated by Deepl

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 10:16:08 pm »
I am not sure if there already is someone doing things there.
Me as you can see in my signature.

Something that hit me was that function variables and variables in scope is automatically added, which slows down (just a little bit).
You can turn it off in the settings or you can disable the auto update. Just right click on it and check the popup menu.

Then there was that I tried to change the type of display for a variable, which I in the rush could not find how to do.
Just use a cast. GDB supports almost all valid c++ expressions.
Another option is to check the available display types in the properties context menu.

Then I had another idea, which seems to be more advanced and perhaps a little too much.
Read about gdb python pretty printers.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline beqroson

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 01:54:34 pm »
I am not sure if there already is someone doing things there.
Me as you can see in my signature.

Something that hit me was that function variables and variables in scope is automatically added, which slows down (just a little bit).
You can turn it off in the settings or you can disable the auto update. Just right click on it and check the popup menu.

Then there was that I tried to change the type of display for a variable, which I in the rush could not find how to do.
Just use a cast. GDB supports almost all valid c++ expressions.
Another option is to check the available display types in the properties context menu.

Then I had another idea, which seems to be more advanced and perhaps a little too much.
Read about gdb python pretty printers.

Yup, seems to be covered already.  :D