Author Topic: Cant Find Compiler Executable In Your Configured Search Path  (Read 109452 times)

Offline jellysoda

• Single posting newcomer
Cant Find Compiler Executable In Your Configured Search Path
« on: January 29, 2013, 08:51:40 pm »
I would first like to say that im still fairly a beginner with compilers, C::B, and programming in general. This morning, I received a new laptop with Windows 8. After Installing codeblocks-12.11-setup.exe , I get the error message stating it "Cant Find Compiler Executable In Your Configured Search Path". Ive looked through the C::B forums in hope of finding a solution, and after resetting the defaults in Settings>Compiler, it tells me it cannot auto detect installation path for GNU GCC compiler, so now im currently left confused. I would like to begin programming as soon as I can but I would first need this problem resolved is all. Thank you for any help.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Cant Find Compiler Executable In Your Configured Search Path
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:02:01 pm »
Quote from: http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/binaries
NOTE: The codeblocks-12.11mingw-setup.exe file includes the GCC compiler and GDB debugger from TDM-GCC (version 4.7.1, 32 bit).

It seems not to be clear enough:
the window packages with mingw in the name include a compiler, the others do not.

C::B is an IDE, not a compiler, it can work with many different compilers.
To make starting (especially for beginners) easy, we have a version bundled with TDM MinGW 4.72 for your convenience.
So if you need a compiler, either download this package and isnatll it, or install the compiler seperately (e.g. from http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/).

Offline jellysoda

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 11:55:30 pm »
after uninstalling C::B and installing C::B with Mingw everything works fine now. Thank you. It was a simple matter of downloading the wrong thing. at the time, I simply installed what was at the top of the screen. It seemed like the right decision to download the version above all of the others, my mistake.

Shinji2012

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 09:47:35 am »
I'm having this same problem, except I tried downloading the codeblocks-12.11mingw-setup.exe version and it STILL gave me trouble. What's going on? I even downloaded it from  http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/ and it STILL said it. Can you help me? (Please don't get too technical on me or assume that I already know where to find stuff.)

EDIT: While I no longer get the error, I still can't build or run any programs and I get "The compiler's setup (GNU GCC Compiler) is invalid, so Code::Blocks cannot find/run the compiler.
Probably the toolchain path within the compiler options is not setup correctly?!
Goto "Settings->Compiler and debugger...->Global compiler settings->GNU GCC Compiler->Toolchain executables" and fix the compiler's setup."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:51:55 am by Shinji2012 »

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 11:07:28 am »
EDIT: While I no longer get the error, I still can't build or run any programs and I get "The compiler's setup (GNU GCC Compiler) is invalid, so Code::Blocks cannot find/run the compiler.
Probably the toolchain path within the compiler options is not setup correctly?!
Goto "Settings->Compiler and debugger...->Global compiler settings->GNU GCC Compiler->Toolchain executables" and fix the compiler's setup."

Have you done this? Where is your MinGW installation?

Offline Ahmed Gamal

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 12:23:08 am »
I have the same problem with Code Blocks :( , i need practical steps to solve this problem !!

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 04:13:11 am »
I have the same problem with Code Blocks :( , i need practical steps to solve this problem !!

Step 1: Install a Compiler

Read this it might help http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_a_supported_compiler

Step 2: Start up Code::Blocks.

Step 3: Go to "Settings->Compiler->Global Compiler settings"

Step 4: Pick the CB name for the Compiler you installed and click on "Set as Default"
(In CB, the MinGW GCC Compiler is called "GNU GCC Compiler")

TEST and see if this Fixed the problem; if NOT continue to next steps

Step 5: Click on "Reset to Defaults" this removes any custom compiler setting and tries to find Compiler in the normal places.

Step 6: Go to "Settings->Compiler->Global Compiler settings->Toolchain executables"
Set the correct value in "Compiler Installation Directory"
NOTE: The Compiler needs to have a bin folder under the path picked in Step 6.

Step 7: Set the C Compiler exe name using the "..." button.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Ahmed Gamal

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 09:20:37 pm »
Ok , it works now .. thank you for your care  :)

Offline GigaGerard

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 05:01:53 pm »
Suppose you have already installed codeblocks-12.11-setup.exe
And you don't want to deinstall it and reinstall with codeblocks-12.11mingw-setup.exe
You go to http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/download to add the MinGW compiler (called GNU-GCC in CodeBlocks) yourself
You can do it and it will solve this problem, but when the MinGW Installation Manager opens:
be sure not just to install the C++ but also the C compiler!!
Then CodeBlocks is satisfied as it has all the files it needs in the C:\MinGW\bin
You can check if all the files it says it needs are there in CodeBlocks:
Settings -> Compiler -> Toolchain executables
Perhaps you also need to install the mingw32-base from the MinGW Installation Manager,
I don't know, I tried that 2nd myself, the C compiler seems essential.

Also in Settings -> Compiler -> Compiler settings
I checked -std=C++11 to be able to compile the new standard.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:19:29 pm by GigaGerard »