Author Topic: cb hangs and I get "Pool task operated?!" message  (Read 16339 times)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: cb hangs and I get "Pool task operated?!" message
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 11:48:25 am »
which is a total of 1705 files. It sounds strange to me that going over 1705 files takes ~30 seconds, even if it's on a network fs.
Probably you can strace codeblocks to see what going on and where it is slow.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 11:50:46 am »
The network I/O is very slow even on fast networks, especially on windows shares (my experience from windows to windows and even worse from linux to windows).

For the statistics, we have fantastic plugin in contrib-plugins. Just open "Plugins -> Code statistics".

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 11:52:57 am »
By the way: one real evil thing is that C::B always looks for changed files, if it regains focus.
That can be really slow on network shares if you have multiple files open.

If I find the time, I will add a (per project) option, that can switch this off.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:58:31 am by jens »

Offline erezz

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 02:48:12 pm »
I ran c::b with strace and I saw that stat64() gets called for files that are not included in my project. My project is located in ~/dir1/dir2/myproj. I see that stat64() gets called for files in ~/dir1/dir2/otherproj. Unfortunately, otherproj is huge, so it may take time to go over all its files.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it something in my project configuration?

Thanks,
Erez

Offline erezz

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 03:13:02 pm »
I ran c::b with strace and I saw that stat64() gets called for files that are not included in my project. My project is located in ~/dir1/dir2/myproj. I see that stat64() gets called for files in ~/dir1/dir2/otherproj. Unfortunately, otherproj is huge, so it may take time to go over all its files.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it something in my project configuration?

Thanks,
Erez

One more thing - the c::b project (i.e. bmarks, cbp & layout files) is located at ~/dir1/dir2/codeblocks_proj/proj_name.

Erez

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 04:16:03 pm »
1, I see there is not text "Pool task operated?!" in current CodeCompletion plugin's source code, so I think this log message has changed after C::B 12.11.

My project is located in ~/dir1/dir2/myproj. I see that stat64() gets called for files in ~/dir1/dir2/otherproj. Unfortunately, otherproj is huge, so it may take time to go over all its files.
Maybe The cbp file in ~/dir1/dir2/myproj folder contains some files/reference to ~/dir1/dir2/otherproj. (This is only a guess)
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline erezz

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 11:04:38 am »
I moved the c::b project into the dir that contains the project src code, and now it seems to work. Still, I think that c::b should scan only files that belong to the project.

Erez

Offline yaoyansi

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 08:35:31 am »
It seems that we have the same problem. My C::B freezes either, and my home directory has 396 sub-directories. Here is my post
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,19936.msg136142.html#msg136142

Finally, I find a temp solution to walk around this problem. The solution is to modify all of the absolute source file paths to relative file paths in the *.cbp file manually. But I'm not satisfied with this temp solution at all, because I have to change the *.cbp file which is generated by CMake.
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,19936.msg136145.html#msg136145

Did you solve this problem with a better solution?

Cheers

Offline yaoyansi