Author Topic: coding popup  (Read 9590 times)

Offline baldysm

• Single posting newcomer
coding popup
« on: October 15, 2013, 01:18:53 am »
Hi all:

Newbie to both Code:Blocks and programming in general. Doing some programming in school and getting my feet wet.

One thing that is driving me bonkers is when I am typing a line of code like:

printf("

Code:Blocks at that point pops up an overlay that blocks my view of what I am typing. I don't know what to call it, and it's meaningless to me.

The line that pops up is:

_CRTIMP int __cdec1 __MINGW_NOTHROW printf(const char *,...)

What is this and how do I disable it?

Thanks!
Scott

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: coding popup
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 01:37:54 am »
It is called Code Completion and advanced users love it (when it works correctly) :)

To disable it search the settings for code completion and disable it or you can even remove the code completion plugin.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline baldysm

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 01:54:21 am »
Hmm, I like the code completion.

Do I have to disable code completion entirely? All I want to do is get rid of the one pop up the obstructs view while typing.

I do like the pop up for variable names, functions, etc.

I can disable the whole thing, but not just that one annoying one. I played with some options and didn't get anywhere.

I am using C, not C++ if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 03:20:40 am »
It is called Code Completion and advanced users love it (when it works correctly) :)

Is it possible to change the colors of that box? Unfortunately white background is quite annoying on a dark theme.

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 04:32:36 am »
Code:Blocks at that point pops up an overlay that blocks my view of what I am typing. I don't know what to call it, and it's meaningless to me. [...]
There is currently no setting to disable only that (its name is a 'call tip'), however, if it is popping up on top of your text (instead of below), that is a bug.  What version of Code::Blocks are you using?

Is it possible to change the colors of that box? Unfortunately white background is quite annoying on a dark theme.
If you are building your own Code::Blocks, adding a calls to cbStyledTextCtrl::CallTipSetBackground(), cbStyledTextCtrl::CallTipSetForeground(), and cbStyledTextCtrl::CallTipSetForegroundHighlight() within cbEditor::InternalSetEditorStyleAfterFileOpen() should do the trick.

Offline baldysm

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 03:17:06 am »
I am using version 12.11.

It only happens when I am typing at or near the bottom of the window. So when the active line is near the bottom, it can't get below the active line and sit atop what your typing.

Thanks for the help. :)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 10:09:23 am »
It only happens when I am typing at or near the bottom of the window. So when the active line is near the bottom, it can't get below the active line and sit atop what your typing.
I think this problem is fixed in the latest night builds.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 07:14:20 pm »
The latest nightly appears to work, so you can either upgrade your Code::Blocks, or alternatively (if you have the EditorTweaks plugin installed), Settings->Editor->EditorTweaks Editor caret buffer: try 3 or 4 lines.