Author Topic: RAD TOOL developers wanted  (Read 72644 times)

Anonymous

RAD TOOL developers wanted
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2005, 02:54:11 pm »
I agree to the poster abov me.... Truly diverisfication and freedom of choices are cool, but.... First of all, rather than having the freedom to choose between 3 half-backed RAD-Tools, I'd like to have 1 that really works and that really makes progress.

Still, something I'd also like to notice: while C::B surely needs a RAD-Tool, I think whatever is going to be the "the standard" wxWidgets RAD-Tool should not be bound to an IDE. Seen from this point of view it may not be bad that there's more than one RAD-Tool in the pipeline. So my plead would be

a) the dev's of the 3 RAD-Tools should please _WORK TOGHETHER_ to create ONE REALLY GOOD RAD-Tool instead of 3
b) whatever comes out of this work should also be able to function as standalone app

just my 0.02 $

takeshimiya

« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2005, 03:24:41 pm »
It would be cool to have the RAD working as a standalone app BUT, it would be very time consuming, because the RAD developer would be himself doing a lot of things that are already included in C::B.

As real life examples see:

-DialogBlocks: It is a standalone app, but as time has passed, Julian had to make it almost like an IDE to be more usable (it haves a code editor, generates MSVC projects, compile and debugs programs), so at the end is like having an IDE inside the RAD (instead of having a RAD inside the IDE :) ).

-MFC editor from MSVC: It doesn't come as a standalone app, for the same reason avobe.

So at first having the RAD as a standalone app appears to be ok, but as the time passes the RAD developer would be implementing all the things an IDE haves.

IMHO in the situation that makes sense to have a standalone RAD is in a XRC only resource editor.

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2005, 04:48:10 pm »
If a standalone RAD tool is wanted, maybe a stripped-down version of Code::Blocks could be created that only has the things that would be needed for RAD?
Since it's modular, it may not be too hard to do, removing all other plugins and maybe disable the text editors might go a long way. (Are the text editors necessary for writing event handlers? Not sure what a 'standalone RAD tool' is supposed to do and not do...)

This is basically what happened with Eclipse: It started out as an IDE in which almost everything was a plugin, and a year or so ago they released a rich client platform.

Something to think about...

Lexx

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2005, 09:26:56 am »
Hi!

I use DialogBlocks for wxWidgets and C++ applications.
http://www.anthemion.co.uk/dialogblocks

Lexx

Anonymous

« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2005, 07:07:52 pm »
Whould it be possible to use José Hurtado's own plug-in system and xml parsing code into wxSmith and ask them to join this team?

Offline heromyth

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • http://
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2005, 02:59:37 am »
Does anybody pay attention to  visualwx(http://visualwx.altervista.org/). However, it does not open source.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2005, 03:45:49 am »
I'd rather have an open source tool (I think we had talked about this already - look at what happened to Linux and bitkeeper - search in slashdot -). But thanks for the suggestion :-)

baboo

Re: RAD TOOL developers wanted
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2005, 07:48:11 pm »
Hey,
What happened with the RAD tool... We are all waiting for a release to test it, to give some feedback at least.
Give me some info if there are any news, please.
Thanks a lot.

takeshimiya

« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2005, 08:01:30 pm »
My current solution: use DialogBlocks until wxSmith gets stable (I'm refering not that it's crashing, but stable on the API and code generation)

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2005, 10:13:28 pm »
Hey,
What happened with the RAD tool... We are all waiting for a release to test it, to give some feedback at least.
Give me some info if there are any news, please.
Thanks a lot.

RAD tool is included in Windows version of RC2 installer but not selected by default.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2005, 10:17:21 pm »
My current solution: use DialogBlocks until wxSmith gets stable (I'm refering not that it's crashing, but stable on the API and code generation)

DialogBlocks seems to be good suggestion - I haven't working with it but it seems to be very usefull :)

takeshimiya

« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2005, 10:35:31 pm »
Yep, it's the current most well featured RAD for wxWidgets, it's similar to Code::Blocks (supports multiple compilers).
And it's developed by Julian itself, so that says something :D

The best about DialogBlocks is that it blends well the C++ code and the widgets, so every time you edit a widgets the changes get reflected in the code (or the XRC)

It automatically inserts code (or XRC handling) between ////@begin and ////@end like:

Code
////@begin WxCoolBarSampleApp initialisation
    // Remove the comment markers above and below this block
    // to make permanent changes to the code.

#if wxUSE_GIF
    wxImage::AddHandler( new wxGIFHandler );
#endif
    wxCoolBarSampleFrame* mainWindow = new wxCoolBarSampleFrame( NULL, ID_FRAME );
    mainWindow->Show(true);
////@end WxCoolBarSampleApp initialisation

And you can insert validators and variables to each widget in your dialogs.

Fortunately wxSmith is catching up very fast!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 10:38:25 pm by Takeshi Miya »

baboo

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2005, 05:14:00 pm »
"RAD tool is included in Windows version of RC2 installer but not selected by default."
Man... RAD tool is included on Windows version and not on linux version? ... hmmm  :? :cry:
Why?

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2005, 06:13:55 pm »
"RAD tool is included in Windows version of RC2 installer but not selected by default."
Man... RAD tool is included on Windows version and not on linux version? ... hmmm  :? :cry:
Why?

There is source code but must be manually compiled in C::B (wxSmith is not yet included into automake build :() and some files need to be copied into wxSmith's data directory . There's post about this somewhere :). I have some difficulties with current CVS version, but RC2 should work fine :)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2005, 07:02:34 pm »
(wxSmith is not yet included into automake build :()

This is because you 're adding/removing files all the time :)
Seriously, I can (and probably will) add it in the build system but are you willing to add/remove files to/from the build when you change the project? I.e. you will have to keep it in sync with the project files...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...