Author Topic: Deactivate "Paste" Function of Mouse Wheel Click  (Read 13583 times)

Offline Toblerone89

• Single posting newcomer
Deactivate "Paste" Function of Mouse Wheel Click
« on: August 21, 2013, 11:15:34 am »
Hello Users,

I just need to know how to deactivate this function of mousewheel. Sometimes
I just push it unintended and added some of my code there. If I don´t register this
it gave some trouble compiling the code. Hopefully you can tell me how to change this.

Best Regards

Toblerone

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Deactivate "Paste" Function of Mouse Wheel Click
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:34:31 am »
A little less information.

On Linux it's normal behaviour and done by the window-manager as far as I know and probably not easy to switch off.

On windows, just disable the MouseSap-plugin.
This might also work on Linux, I never tried this.

Offline Toblerone89

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 12:03:17 pm »
Additionaly I should say that it only works in the CB IDE....in Windows itself this function is not active.
So it must be something in CB Settings, but actually I didn´t found the right option!

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:30:39 pm »
Additionaly I should say that it only works in the CB IDE....in Windows itself this function is not active.
So it must be something in CB Settings, but actually I didn´t found the right option!
Windows is too stupid to have such a comfortable function.
I always miss it very much, if I work with windows.
A little less information.

On Linux it's normal behaviour and done by the window-manager as far as I know and probably not easy to switch off.

This might also work on Linux, I never tried this.

Offline eckard_klotz

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 08:36:29 am »
Hello Everybody.

I can confirm that this feature can be very nasty if it is used accidently even it may be very useful in some situations.

Pleas let me explain:

In the past I noticed very often that mysterious text-passages in my sources placed on locations not edited by me. The only thing I could say is, that I copied this fragments to paste it somewhere else and suddenly it was added somewhere in my source. Now I know what happened.
Somewhere else (Maybe outside of C::B) I had a copy and paste-action and I did not clean the clipboard after this action. Than I scrolled through a source inside of C::B just to search for some information and clicked by accident the mouse wheel (or it happend since my mouse is not the newest one and the wheel switch had a defect) and since scrolling with the mouse-wheel may move the text on the screen fast I didn't recognize the paste.

The result is allways a randomly changed source you have to debug again.

If this is a traditional Linux function it is OK to to have it in C::B also for those how wish to use it. But since it is not the normal case under Windows it is essential to have a possibility to deactivate it. Otherwise I would define this behaviour of C::B not as a highlight feature but as a high-priority bug and a extension of the configuration (if it is not already existing) is a must.

If it is already possible to deactivate especially the mouse-wheel paste pleas tell us how.

Best regards,
                    Eckard.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 08:47:25 am »
If it is already possible to deactivate especially the mouse-wheel paste pleas tell us how.

Why is it so hard to read ?

I post it now the third time, the second time I posted it bold, but it still seems to be myterious hidden, so I enlarge the font and change the colour also.

Hope this helps.

And why an action that happens if I accidently click somewhere should be a (high-priority) bug is not clear to me.

Offline eckard_klotz

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 10:02:10 am »
Hello Jens.

Sorry for bothering you. I just misunderstood you what was a bug between my ears.

When you wrote
disable the MouseSap-plugin
I thought that this disables all high-level mouse functions. I did not recognise that this plugin only enables copy and paste over mouse-wheel.

So the I hope you accept my apologize.

Best regards,
                   Eckard Klotz.

Offline frithjofh

• Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 12:20:54 pm »
Hi everybody,

maybe this is a little bit off topic, and I dont want to upset jens any more than he is already.

I do think the middle-mouse-button-copy&paste is really useful, at least I appreciate it very much, but it has a small bug:

I often use it to copy code from one editor to another having to editors open side by side (split window). To place the copied text from one editor into the one next to it you first have to do a left-click in the destination editor (to activate it) and then paste with middle-mouse-click. It would be so much more natural to just have to do only the middle-click in the destination editor, but doing so now pastes the contents of the clipboard in the origin editor, but at the line clicked in the destination editor.

As I only use c::b on linux I dont know how behavior is on windows. I dont know either if this is a limitation of the editor component or just some event that is not used accordingly. I would even try to look into it myself, but I would like some opinion from the developers first...

Regards

frithjofh
architect with some spare time  -  c::b compiled from last svn  -   openSuSE leap x86_64  -  AMD FX-4100

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 05:28:57 pm »
Use the DragScroll plugin and set Focus follows mouse option.

Offline frithjofh

• Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 06:04:12 pm »
I will try that out, thanks for the answer.

Regards

frithjofh
architect with some spare time  -  c::b compiled from last svn  -   openSuSE leap x86_64  -  AMD FX-4100

Offline ouch

• Almost regular
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 10:39:54 pm »
I would also like to add that not all mice are created equal. I had a cheap mouse that had a weak wheel spring and was constantly enabling autoscroll while browsing, throwing grenades while switching weapons in games, and yes, accidental pasting in codeblocks. After getting my old logitech G5 mouse years ago all those problems went away.

At my previous job we had people constantly accidentally hitting the back buttons on their generic mouse and clearing the web forms they were working on. We got all new, name brand mice and have not had a problem since...

So rather than disabling a time saving feature, I would suggest anyone who accidentally pastes code fragments should do some mouse shopping instead. A good mouse can in fact increase productivity and reduce frustration and stress for the user.