Author Topic: SVN 1615-uni not handling .rc files correctly  (Read 6615 times)

grunerite

SVN 1615-uni not handling .rc files correctly
« on: January 01, 2006, 07:49:59 pm »
Wow, what a headache I just had.

WinXP
1.0RC2 (oct.24) and SVN-rev1615-uni

I could build an .exe with RC1, but the exact same project and settings cannot build in SVN-rev1615-uni. Rev1615 gives this error message on linking:
Code
mingw_gcc344\Release\Controls.o:Controls.cpp:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `main'
mingw_gcc344\Release\Controls.o:Controls.cpp:(.text+0x0): first defined here

I was racking my brain because I thought the problem was my code (which has 2 "main") and libs:
Code
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
Application* app = new ControlsApplication( argc, argv );

Application::main();

return 0;
}

You can imagine how many lib rebuilds I did thinking something was wrong with my lib build settings.

Anyway, it turns out I think it is related to resource file extensions. Here is the succesful exe build output with RC1 (note the two compiled files controls.o and controls.res, ok):
Code
Project   : Controls
Compiler  : GNU GCC Compiler (called directly)
Directory : C:\Dev\VCF\vcf\examples\Controls\
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Switching to target: Win32 Release
mingw32-g++.exe    -LC:\Dev\CodeBlocks\lib -o C:\Dev\VCF\vcf\examples\Controls\mingw_gcc344\Release\Controls.exe mingw_gcc344\Release\ControlsAbout.o mingw_gcc344\Release\ControlsApplication.o mingw_gcc344\Release\MainWindow.o mingw_gcc344\Release\Controls.o  mingw_gcc344\Release\Controls.res    -Wl,--enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc    -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lwinspool -lcomdlg32 -ladvapi32 -lshell32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lodbc32 -lodbccp32 ..\..\bin\libApplicationKitDLL_mingw_gcc344.a ..\..\bin\libGraphicsKitDLL_mingw_gcc344.a ..\..\bin\libFoundationKitDLL_mingw_gcc344.a  -mwindows
Info: resolving vtable for VCF::Rectby linking to __imp___ZTVN3VCF4RectE (auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for VCF::StandardContainerby linking to __imp___ZTVN3VCF17StandardContainerE (auto-import)
Process terminated with status 0 (0 minutes, 1 seconds)
0 errors, 0 warnings

Now, with SVN-1615uni, the bad build looks like so (notice 2 controls.o and no controls.res):
Code
-------------- Build: Win32 Release in Controls ---------------
mingw32-g++.exe -LC:\Dev\MinGW344\lib  -o C:\Dev\VCF\vcf\examples\Controls\mingw_gcc344\Release\Controls.exe mingw_gcc344\Release\ControlsAbout.o mingw_gcc344\Release\ControlsApplication.o mingw_gcc344\Release\MainWindow.o mingw_gcc344\Release\Controls.o  mingw_gcc344\Release\Controls.o  -Wl,--enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc  -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lwinspool -lcomdlg32 -ladvapi32 -lshell32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lodbc32 -lodbccp32 ..\..\bin\libApplicationKitDLL_mingw_gcc344.a ..\..\bin\libGraphicsKitDLL_mingw_gcc344.a ..\..\bin\libFoundationKitDLL_mingw_gcc344.a  -mwindows
Info: resolving vtable for VCF::Rectby linking to __imp___ZTVN3VCF4RectE (auto-import)
Info: resolving vtable for VCF::StandardContainerby linking to __imp___ZTVN3VCF17StandardContainerE (auto-import)
mingw_gcc344\Release\Controls.o:Controls.cpp:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `main'
mingw_gcc344\Release\Controls.o:Controls.cpp:(.text+0x0): first defined here
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 1 seconds)
0 errors, 0 warnings

So, it appears to be compiling controls.cpp twice and not controls.rc. Here are the lines from the .cbp file showing the 2 controls file:
Code
        </Build>
        <Unit filename="Controls.cpp">
            <Option compilerVar="CPP" />
            <Option target="Win32 Release" />
            <Option target="Win32 Debug" />
        </Unit>
        <Unit filename="Controls.rc">
            <Option compilerVar="WINDRES" />
            <Option objectName="Controls.res" />
            <Option target="Win32 Release" />
            <Option target="Win32 Debug" />
        </Unit>

Is this a bug (I think so) or something I'm doing wrong? I'll report this to sourceforge soon when I'm certain it is a bug and not something I'm doing wrong.
Grunerite

« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 08:00:17 pm by grunerite »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: SVN 1615-uni not handling .rc files correctly
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 08:15:47 pm »
If I read this correctly, this is not a problem with the compiler but with the linker commandline.

controls.cpp is only compiled once, but controls.o is linked twice when controls.res should be used in once place. I can't tell if this is a bug or misconfiguration, though.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

grunerite

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 08:18:13 pm »
I think it is a bug unless there is an option I'm missing. I changed the name of Controls.rc to Controls2.rc, and rebuilt. Controls2.rc now compiles to Controls2.o, so there is no duplicate Controls.o. All works fine then.

Any advice on how to deal with this? Is there an option somewhere to say Windres.exe compiled files should have extension .res instead of .o?

grunerite

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 08:26:57 pm »
If I read this correctly, this is not a problem with the compiler but with the linker commandline.

controls.cpp is only compiled once, but controls.o is linked twice when controls.res should be used in once place. I can't tell if this is a bug or misconfiguration, though.
Well, the problem is windrese.exe is producing an output file with .o extension, and not .res extension. As you see above from the project file, it is told to compile to a Controls.res file, but it does not. And for some reason, the linker tries to link in 2 Controls.o, and it grabs the same file twice (the one produced from Controls.cpp).

During compiling, here is the command line for compiling Controls.rc, and it does indeed say it is outputting a Controls.o, even though the project file tells it to output Controls.res

windres.exe -i Controls.rc -J rc -o mingw_gcc344\Release\Controls.o -O coff -IC:\Dev\CodeBlocks\include

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 08:34:41 pm »
Code
1621  	/  	mandrav  	2 days  	* Fixed bug with generated object name for windows resources.

That's why you need to update to the latest revision, if using the SVN version, when you think you 've found a bug...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

grunerite

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 08:48:01 pm »
Code
1621  	/  	mandrav  	2 days  	* Fixed bug with generated object name for windows resources.

That's why you need to update to the latest revision, if using the SVN version, when you think you 've found a bug...
Sorry  :(  Will do next time. This project moves at a fast pace!