Author Topic: Dark theme - contribution  (Read 78647 times)

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
Re: Dark theme - contribution
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 02:11:41 pm »
Thanks Jens for clearing this.

I request you to restore it for the benefit of other users. An empty page is creating confusion and a poor impression of us all.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 02:22:40 pm »
Thanks Jens for clearing this.

I request you to restore it for the benefit of other users. An empty page is creating confusion and a poor impression of us all.
It's there again, with a note, that the themes are only usable with the C/C++-lexer.

georger

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 03:29:37 pm »
It was the user himself, who cleaned the wiki-page (see: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Syntax_highlighting_custom_colour_themes&action=history).
I guess he was discouraged, because of Alpha's comment about c++-only themes.
"the user himself" here. I removed the content because I was discouraged by oBFusCATed's (not Alpha's), a developer, statement.

But it's still in the wiki's history: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Syntax_highlighting_custom_colour_themes&oldid=7656
Unfortunately for me, MediaWiki only allows admins to delete a page once and for all - so I couldn't purge the page forever, which I would have done if I could. All I could do was overwrite the old content.

I politely request that the page be purged. Even though I had to answer "C++" to the question "What language Code::Blocks is designed for? (letter,2x sign):" while registering to write this reply, I don't really feel that contributions that only apply to C++ are welcomed by the developers.

To make myself perfectly clear: please, PLEASE purge the page once and for all, beyond recovery, like it never existed in the first place. I left Code::Blocks after this event, and I am sincerely annoyed that the content that I created and was dismissed was brought back.

[...] is creating [...] a poor impression of us all.
That I can agree with.

Now off to delete the forum membership.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 03:49:05 pm »
"the user himself" here. I removed the content because I was discouraged by oBFusCATed's (not Alpha's), a developer, statement.
I guess, I've been misunderstood here, probably because English is not my native language.
What I've said is that we can't include the themes in the official C::B source code until they are finished or at least have themes for the more popular languages.
I have nothing against the page on the wiki.
Sorry if you've felt offended, but this was not the intend...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 03:51:28 pm »
It was the user himself, who cleaned the wiki-page (see: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Syntax_highlighting_custom_colour_themes&action=history).
I guess he was discouraged, because of Alpha's comment about c++-only themes.
Both are developers, but you are right, it was oBFusCATed's commment I meant.
Why are you discouraged, if one developer of the whole team says, it does not make sense to add it to trunk ?
If there are two different opinions, people should start a discussion, not run away.

It would be a good point to start seriously thinking about a theming engine for C::B.
Because theming is not only interestant for users who just don't like the default look, but also for user with handicaps or for systems that are to be used in places with problematic light conditions.

But it's still in the wiki's history: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Syntax_highlighting_custom_colour_themes&oldid=7656
Unfortunately for me, MediaWiki only allows admins to delete a page once and for all - so I couldn't purge the page forever, which I would have done if I could. All I could do was overwrite the old content.

I politely request that the page be purged. Even though I had to answer "C++" to the question "What language Code::Blocks is designed for? (letter,2x sign):" while registering to write this reply, I don't really feel that contributions that only apply to C++ are welcomed by the developers.

To make myself perfectly clear: please, PLEASE purge the page once and for all, beyond recovery, like it never existed in the first place. I left Code::Blocks after this event, and I am sincerely annoyed that the content that I created and was dismissed was brought back.
I'm not sure if any of the forum admins can do that (except from our project leader and server owner, who has only been very, very rarely here in the last years).
I would be happy, if you would decide to leave it there for the benefit of other users.
[...] is creating [...] a poor impression of us all.
That I can agree with.
Why do you think lowly of a whole project, if you do not agree with the opinion of one developer.
Now off to delete the forum membership.

georger

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 04:46:02 pm »
Why are you discouraged, if one developer of the whole team says, it does not make sense to add it to trunk ?
If there are two different opinions, people should start a discussion, not run away.
I am fine with one developer stating that it does not make sense to add something to trunk. It is well within a developer's right and duty to do so.
I am also fine with one developer stating that a piece of work is useless. Even if I think the wording could be improved, it still means that the developer assessed the contribution and found it inadequate.
I am not fine, however, with bringing back someone else's work that was deemed useless.

The "one developer of the whole team" was the only one that expressed his opinion. There was no discussion after my reply to the developer's statement. No other developer commented on it after the work was considered useless. In my view, he spoke for the whole team.

I'm not sure if any of the forum admins can do that (except from our project leader and server owner, who has only been very, very rarely here in the last years).
I would be happy, if you would decide to leave it there for the benefit of other users.
It's not up to me to decide. I don't know what license covers the content published in your project's wiki. What I do know is that, if at all possible, I would like that the content that I wrote be removed, and that the removal be irreversible.

Why do you think lowly of a whole project, if you do not agree with the opinion of one developer.
Again, one sole developer expressed his views on my "contribution". You might think otherwise, but as far as I'm concerned, he spoke for the project.

Now off to delete the forum membership again, and for good this time.

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 05:05:48 pm »

I disagree. I appreciate your effort in working on and compiling a list of themes. A particular developer may have said it cant be included in the trunk. But there is a reason behind that. Probably it was a miscommunication. I'm sure a lot of users and developers find your work interesting & useful.

Unfortunately Jens we do discourage both users and developers. I, personally, have faced several strong objections from admins several times. I even wrote a long rant to post 5 months ago (which I didn't post) due to a "silly" comment on one of my commit from one of the admins. That rant summarized my frustrations I faced in past 7 years. I do not wish to elaborate here, but I'm ok to discuss it separately.

Likewise we do discourage a number of users who wish to contribute. We also discourage a number of newbie users by asking them to shut-up and stop asking newbie questions. I know there is a reason behind that. But if admins wishes, we can overcome that difficulty.

It would be a good point to start seriously thinking about a theming engine for C::B.

I think a better question to ask is do we have a roadmap? Code::Blocks project is presently moving like a ship without any steering wheel.
  • Features are decided randomly and then implemented.
  • Release dates are often decided as - "we'll release when we deem necessary" or "lets package next nightly and rename as stable release"
  • Plugins are often included without deciding a maintainer.
  • We have plugins that describes itself as "For the anal but lazy." Sound cool but no one knows who maintains it.
  • We drop platform support randomly. Just to avoid #ifdef statements we bump wxwidgets version requirement.
  • SDK version is changed at will.

The list goes on and on. Seriously we should pause and think about it.

P.S.: Just to clear myself I'm not accusing Jens of the above. Rather it is to the entire project team including myself.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 05:50:25 pm »
@georger: if it isn't abundantly clear by now, WE like your contribution and want to keep it on the wiki. Eventually someone will take your work and figure out a way to make those themes work for other languages, and when that happens it will make it into trunk. So please stop requesting that we remove it over a misunderstanding. It was oBFusCATed who recommended you puts these on the wiki in the first place, so he clearly likes what you've done too.

Offline Ansem

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2013, 06:01:47 pm »
thanks for the wiki!
I have only one big problem: where i must import the file? i have ubuntu 12.04, and i don't find the path :(

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2013, 06:08:05 pm »
cb_share_config should automatically detect, where your default.conf is located (~/.codeblocks/default.conf usually).
But theme importing is better supported with a night build. 12.11 is rather limited in this regard, so I advise you to try a night build.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Ansem

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2013, 04:50:47 pm »
thanks! now all works perfectly!
in any case, i think that a native black theme will be perfect.
For example i love ninja ide for his layoults (black theme and all setting to the left,and not on the top).

SegmentationFault

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2014, 04:58:48 am »
Just transferred over from Orwell Dev C++ to CodeBlock and stumbled upon this thread on themes and I gotta say they are awesome! One thing that did get me confused was that when I was doing the transfer process of themes the program would not detect where my default.conf was. I ended up have to manually go to it, but no big issue. 8)