Author Topic: Custom compiler sets disappearing  (Read 5933 times)

Offline lxi

• Multiple posting newcomer
Custom compiler sets disappearing
« on: January 05, 2006, 03:57:34 pm »
I've been trying to add two extra compilers to the list using the "Copy" button in Settings | Compiler. I'm adding two extra compilers based on GNU GCC Compiler, one for DevKitPSP (Playstation Portable) and another for DevKitAdv (Gameboy Advance).

I can add both of them without a problem, but when I close Code::Blocks and restart it, the second one disappears from the compiler list. The compiler settings are still present in the registry, but are not loaded. Then when I close Code::Blocks the second time, the settings for the second compiler are removed from the registry.

I also tried adding three extra compilers as a test, and both the second and third compilers were ignored when I started Code::Blocks. It seems that all compilers beyond the first custom one are not loaded from the registry. It's easy to reproduce the problem just by selecting "GNU GCC Compiler" and then hitting Copy a few times to make some duplicates then restarting the IDE.

Could someone please check that this problem isn't just me? :)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Custom compiler sets disappearing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 04:00:25 pm »
I'll have a look at it, this weekend, I will also create a build for you to test with a patch I have created to avoid conflicts between internal and user compilers, maybe that patch might fix the problem (it might , I was solving another problem and maybe along the way this got fixed also).

Are you willing to try it out this weekend (saturday) ?

So note : it will be a special build, I hope you are on win xp or something so it can be the unicode build and not an ansi one. ;-)

Cheers,
Lieven

Offline lxi

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 04:04:52 pm »
Sounds good, I'm on windows xp so it can be the unicode build. Thanks :)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 04:06:43 pm »
ok, so bookmark this thread so you will be able to find it easily and check often ;-)

One other question, what revision are you using of CB ??

Offline lxi

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 04:12:35 pm »
Will do :)

I'm using 1.0rc2 (2005-10-24) from an installer package, haven't yet moved to building CB from source :)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 04:17:25 pm »
okay, that's what i was thinking. Go to the nightly builds part of the forum, overthere you can find a link to download the latest nightly. Very posible that bug is fixed, but other bugs might exist (yesterday a new bug with the editor tabs was introduced, but this will probably be fixed soon). Since yesterday some different notebook mechanism is used, otherwise you can take the nightly build of 2 days ago. Just give it a try, much has been fixed and improved. Also donwload the wx dll (you can find it at those nightlys also).
Let us know on how it went. Note no compiler in those builds, just the CB stuff.

Offline lxi

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 04:36:10 pm »
I downloaded the latest nightly build (CB_04jan2006_rev1656_win32.7z) and tried it out. Unfortunately the bug still exists. The interface improvements look good though :)

Offline lxi

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 04:40:36 pm »
Actually, it seems I may have been wrong. It's remembering both extra compilers now, and I can't delete them (not that this bothers me :) ).. I'm going to test it a bit more and see what's going on.

Offline lxi

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 05:15:02 pm »
It seems that the new build does actually remember the custom compiler sets correctly. It didn't remember them on first and second run, but after that it just started working. Weird :)

I went to the registry key that I was looking at before (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Code::Blocks\Code::Blocks v1.0) to find that the custom compilers weren't there at all, yet CB was remembering them. I found that it saves the configuration to %appdata%\codeblocks\default.conf.

Could the problems I was having before be related to the code that loaded settings from the registry, and was fixed by instead using code that loads the settings from a file? That would indicate a problem in the code that loads from the registry, but this wouldn't matter if in future all builds of CB used the file for storing settings.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 05:32:38 pm »
I don't know, how it got fixed, might be something different. But it is good to hear it works.
Enjoy your new version (tonight an even newer is coming) ;-)  8)