Author Topic: Which distribution should I install ? Which packages are needed ?  (Read 6482 times)

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
Long time ago since my last post  :shock:

I'm really stressed out with my research paper (it's a paper which is about 10-20 pages long). So I have to do some more useful things the time I'm on my computer and I don't write.

I have two partitions where I want to install two different distributions. As I only do this for fun I can combine this with providing a binary package of codeblocks.

So, which distributions are used by the codeblocks users where is no package available yet ?
For the major distributions there are already packages there, so let me know which others are used/needed.
The only distributions I don't want to install are gentoolike sourcebased ones (my computer is too slow for this).

Since I've no server, I would provide these packages by email and I'll only provide release candidates, no svn snapshots.

Daniel
Nightly builds for openSUSE

takeshimiya

Re: Which distribution should I install ? Which packages are needed ?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 12:32:31 am »
You can look here: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,1194.0.html

The most used distros that doesn't have package yet: Mandriva, Ubuntu Breezy x64, Ubuntu Dapper x64, Ubuntu Breezy x86, Debian versions (other than Sid x86).

Debian is the most important one, because the 80% or so of the rest of the distros are Debian based, and usually works with the Debian repos.

grv575

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 01:02:55 am »
yoper is nice too for speed freaks.  think it's a generic rpm though (so same as mandrake/mandriva & other redhat based distros).  btw, couldn't a generic rpm be made that did like
[ -d /mandrake/icon/directories ]
   mv blah; blah

in the spec file upon the install phase?

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 01:32:31 am »
PerryWerneck made a Mandriva package!
I can't make x64 packages because I've no AMD64 or equal.

So it'll be one or two Debian based distros.

What's Ubuntu Dapper ? I've never heard this and I've found nothing on the homepage. I only found Warty Warthog, Hoary Hedgehog and Breezy Badger.

@grv575: you can only make a generic rpm if you use static libraries. But dynamic libs are commonly used and then you need a rpm linked against the same version. So it's easier to build a few rpm's each for one distribution than one for all.  The spec file is only responsible for the pre compile phase. Before the rpm will be compiled all the macros are replaced by a string defined on the system you build it. When the binary rpm is built it's hard to change paths and so on.

takeshimiya

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 01:44:34 am »
DapperDrake is the next release of Ubuntu (6.04)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
Seems like a lot of people uses it (just like a lot of people here uses C::B SVN HEAD instead of RC2).

If you go to straight Debian, and it's different versions, a lot of other distros will be automatically supported (Mepis, ...).

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 02:03:45 am »
Ok I'll think I'll install Debian Etch and Ubuntu Dapper today or tomorrow.

grv575

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 03:07:28 am »
@grv575: you can only make a generic rpm if you use static libraries. But dynamic libs are commonly used and then you need a rpm linked against the same version. So it's easier to build a few rpm's each for one distribution than one for all.  The spec file is only responsible for the pre compile phase. Before the rpm will be compiled all the macros are replaced by a string defined on the system you build it. When the binary rpm is built it's hard to change paths and so on.

So why not create a generic .src.rpm then that people could just use to efforlessly build & host binary rpms for each distro?  It just requires using rpm macros like %{_datadir} that expand to the right paths depending on the distro the .src.rpm is compiled on right?

takeshimiya

grv575

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 03:25:24 am »
Heh.   :D

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 11:00:45 am »
So why not create a generic .src.rpm then that people could just use to efforlessly build & host binary rpms for each distro?  It just requires using rpm macros like %{_datadir} that expand to the right paths depending on the distro the .src.rpm is compiled on right?
Like Takeshi Miya wrote it's already done  :D
But not everyone wants to compile codeblocks before using it. So we need binary packages.

That reminds me that I wanted to extend the spec file. I'll put in a few %if 's to check which distribution is used that it's a fullfeatured one (with all distribution specific requires,...).