Author Topic: Fresh install of CB 12.11 on Fresh install of CentOs 6.3 hangs / unresponsive  (Read 13220 times)

Offline wxwizard

• Single posting newcomer
I have a server with a fresh install of CentOs 6.3 and a fresh install of Codeblocks 12.11 via the linux binaries. Specifically:
 Mar 18 02:57:22 Installed: wxBase-2.8.12-1.el6.centos.x86_64
 Mar 18 02:57:25 Installed: wxGTK-2.8.12-1.el6.centos.x86_64
 Mar 18 02:57:29 Installed: codeblocks-12.11-1.el6.x86_64
 Mar 18 02:58:32 Installed: codeblocks-contrib-12.11-1.el6.x86_64

When I open up a project, the UI hangs for a minute or two. I then get control to makes edits, but then the UI hangs again. Does anyone have any clues as to why this is hanging, or where I might look (logs, etc) to see what might be causing CB to become unresponsive?

Unless I can fix this quickly, I'll need to go back to 10.05 as this install is currently un-usable.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Try to unload the code completion plugin in Plugins -> Manage
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline wxwizard

Try to unload the code completion plugin in Plugins -> Manage

OK, that seems to fix the hanging issue.
Code completion is nice to have... Is there anything I can do to fix this plugin so that it works?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
You can install the debug info for codeblocks and then try to use gdb and grab some backtraces to see where is the problem.

Is your project big? Does it happen with all projects?
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline wxwizard

Not too big. The main cpp is 400 lines, but I link in 12 other cpp/h object files. Not sure how many lines that makes in total. If I can find an extra hour, I'll try running the gdb...

Thanks for help! I sure do appreciate it!

Offline wxwizard

Further thoughts...
Comparatively, I have managed much bigger projects on another server running CB 10.05, and I never had a problem with the code completion plugin. So I don't think this is a project size issue. It seems more like something is getting hung somewhere.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Bigger projects most of the times do more complex stuff that simple projects.
I'm talking about more complex include search paths, sometimes people add to the projects files that are not under the project dir, but some other place and so on.

One thing you could do is to start cb with the --debug-log option and you can inspect the debug log for strange messages.

Offline pir

• Multiple posting newcomer
I am having exactly the same problem with CB 12.11 on Ubuntu 12.04. When I get a periodic hang the System Monitor reports that the process is in an "Uninterruptible" state and "waiting_for_response.isra.5". What is this problem?

Disabling the code completion plugin does indeed cure the problem for me - I presume this is a known bug? I too did not see these hangs in the old version of CB.

Added 26 March 2013:

I have investigated further. I have a second, notionally identical system on which CodeBlocks 12.11 runs without the problems flagged above. The only difference is that the system on which CodeBlocks hangs was upgraded from Ubuntu 11.10 whereas the systems on which it runs fine was a fresh install. I have checked all the dependencies on both machines and I can see no difference in any of the version numbers. The only difference I can find is that the non-hanging machine has a 32-bit PAE kernel whereas the hanging machine in not PAE. But I cannot think how the page table structures would affect this problem.

Any suggestions welcome!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:44:39 pm by pir »

Online ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
I also read this bug report Code Completion plugin causes periodic hangs, my suggestion is that you can disable some functions in CC (not disable the CC plugin, but only some functionality), like disable the hover hint, disable the symbol browser.... BTW: I'm a currently a windows guy, I hardly find such hang issue.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
For me it hangs once a day or something like that.
Most of the times it is on RemoveTokenBlaBla....

Offline pir

I also read this bug report Code Completion plugin causes periodic hangs, my suggestion is that you can disable some functions in CC (not disable the CC plugin, but only some functionality), like disable the hover hint, disable the symbol browser

OK. Ready to give that a try. How do you turn on/off individual features in the CC plugin? I cannot see any way of doing that.

Online ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
OK. Ready to give that a try. How do you turn on/off individual features in the CC plugin? I cannot see any way of doing that.
The settings are in the menu->setting->editor->code completion setting. Thanks.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).

Offline pir

The settings are in the menu->setting->editor->code completion setting. Thanks.

Not on my install, it's not! (Do you mean the pane down the left side of the Settings->Editor dialog?) Are you using Windows? I am on Linux...

Online ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
Do you mean the pane down the left side of the Settings->Editor dialog?
Yes, that's right. I mean the code completion setting panel in the Editor dialog.

Offline pir

Do you mean the pane down the left side of the Settings->Editor dialog?
Yes, that's right. I mean the code completion setting panel in the Editor dialog.

This does not exist on the Linux version! At least not on the machine which misbehaves... But it certainly does on Windows. Can any other Linux users confirm that there is no such pane under Linux? (That may be part of my problem!)