Author Topic: [Solved] What is Addr2LineUI  (Read 9526 times)

Offline bigal

• Single posting newcomer
[Solved] What is Addr2LineUI
« on: January 14, 2013, 05:25:07 pm »
Hi all,

I have been given the Kernighan & Ritchie book on C programming for Christmas.I have never even written a script before let alone done any programming so yesterday I installed codeblocks-12.11mingw-setup.exe for the first time on my Windows XP Pro box to folder C:\CodeBlocks. Having searched around It seemed that CB was the way to go.  Installation was easy, but the first run produced an error saying that ".... at least one compiler master path is still empty and therefore invalid." The GNU-GCC compiler was in the list along with 22 others so I highlighted it and clicked the 'Set as default' button. There were no entries in the right hand box for any of the compilers in the list. Closed the program down, and restarted and all then seemed OK. At that point I left the computer for the evening although it runs 24/7 so was not switched off.

Today, I thought I would explore CB and start to learn how to use it but when I clicked on the icon I got a UI graphic headed 'Addr2LineUI'. Totally different to the start page I got yesterday. I have attached an image. There does not seem to be any entries on this forum about this so I turned to Google which worryingly suggest that the judges are out on whether or not it is a virus. Certainly the root CB directory contains an executable called Addr2LineUI.exe but I do not know if that was there yesterday as after CB was installed I didn't check. Anyway, my commercial anti-virus software from f-Secure does not report it as such when I scanned the entire CB directory just now.

Can anyone through some/any light on this, or at least advise if the file can be deleted. Also, if it is not meant to be there, how to circumvent it and actually start CodeBlocks.

Cheers

Alan
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:00:05 pm by bigal »

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: What is Addr2LineUI
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 06:18:32 pm »
Addr2LineUI is a part of c::b, so no virus.
If you want start c::b go to the sub folder of c::b  (in your case C:\CodeBlocks) and run codeblocks.exe.

Where did you click to start Addr2LineUI? Is your shortcut false?

Offline bigal

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 06:52:02 pm »
Addr2LineUI is a part of c::b, so no virus.

Phew! That is a relief

If you want start c::b go to the sub folder of c::b  (in your case C:\CodeBlocks) and run codeblocks.exe.

There is no file C:\CodeBlocks\codeblocks.exe.
There are just four executables.

Addr2LineUI.exe
cb_console_runner.exe
cb_share_config.exe and
uninstall.exe

The Windows search facility does not find codeblocks.exe anywhere on my C: drive

Where did you click to start Addr2LineUI? Is your shortcut false?

Both the menu listing and the desktop shortcut for CodeBlocks point to Addr2LineUI.exe As I said, I didn't check yesterday as both just worked. Only today things have changed. If it of any help the m/c runs 24/7 with a user logged in and Thunderbird running to pick up my log files from my Centos mail server. There is an auto backup of all drives (Acronis) every evening and a full machine anti-virus scan in the wee small hours. I do not see that any of that would have changed shortcuts though.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:54:45 pm by bigal »

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:31:41 pm »
I don't use the installer, but i think something corrupted somehow your installation....
I would uninstall and reinstall codeblocks...

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 07:37:25 pm »
I do not see that any of that would have changed shortcuts though.
Neither do we. However, its not a Code::Blocks issue, so if you are unsure, just install C::B again to have codeblocks.exe returned. Maybe set it to"read-only" this time to protect it from being erased. No clue what obscure process or software on your PC kills *.exe at randomly.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline bigal

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:49:37 pm »
OK.

Just to be cautious I first checked the registry and, as I suspected, it is littered with CodeBlocks entries. So Uninstalled CB and rebooted. Checked the registry again and no CB entries. So far so good. All of my data is kept on different physical drives, away from the system drive - it makes life a lot easier if there is ever a problem. Deleted the original download file from my downloads folder then made a fresh download of codeblocks-12.11mingw-setup.exe from the SourceForge site.

Installed as before with one small exception. This time, and unusually for me, I left my AV software running during installation. It complained a little but I told it that CB was allowable which quietened it down. Post installation I have marked the entire CD folder as read-only as you suggested  MortenMacFly. At present, all seems OK. I will wait with interest to see what happens tomorrow and report back.

Not knowing anything about programming, compilers and the like this is a totally new venture for me. I now appreciate what you say about it not being a CB issue but never the less, I am extremely grateful for your help.

Thank you

Alan

Offline bigal

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:04:26 am »
Well there's interesting.

Following the un-installation and re-installation I detailed above Code Blocks worked fine.

This morning however it is a different story. My first action was to check the destinatio on both the menu and desktop shortcuts to CB. Both pointed correctly to codeblocks.exe. However, as soon as I clicked on the menu shortcut it opened Addr2LineUI as before. It also changed the shortcut destination. When I checked my C:\CodeBlocks directiory it had completly removed codeblocks.exe and replaced it with Addr2LineUI.exe. Next I looked at the desktop shortcut. That was still correct but when I opted to 'Find Target' it reported 'Target not found'. Clicking on the icon resulted in the target being changed to Addr2LineUI.exe. Windows 'Find' facility looking for codeblocks.exe resulted in a file not found.

I have 40 items in my Start/Programs list. None of them react like CodeBlocks. Are you absolutely sure it is nothing to do with CodeBlocks?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 10:32:19 am »
When I checked my C:\CodeBlocks directiory it had completly removed codeblocks.exe and replaced it with Addr2LineUI.exe.
Well this is not done by Code::Blocks, but by your system or any weird software you are running (maybe you AV solution).
C::B does not and even cannot silently remove codeblocks.exe. If that happens, something else is the reason. Find out which process removes the executable.

You can also try to copy the whole installation once it is installed completely into another folder (maybe under "my documents") and try from there. Code::Blocks is "portable", so actually you can safely copy it to any place you like and run it from there. You may then remove the original installation, if you like. See if that helps.

But again: Its definitely not a C::B issue, if during night (maybe due to a AV/sync/backup task run scheduled every midnight) executables are being deleted. Also, you seem to be the only person that has such an issue.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline bigal

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 12:39:18 pm »
Hi Again,

Many thanks for your helpful answer and for your patience. I apologise for, what must have seemed to be my rudeness. To say that I was frustrated would be a huge understatement and I wrongly hit out. My computing experience goes back to long before my office 64k Commodore Pet and I should have learnt by now to look AND ANALISE what is going on and not upset others with stupid queries.

Well this is not done by Code::Blocks, but by your system or any weird software you are running (maybe you AV solution).

This hit the nail on the head. I have ran my AV, f-Secure, on most of the many machines that I have administered over the years and never come across anything like this before. That one line caused me to look again at the settings and lo and behold. There it was. Despite being told to “Allow” Code::Blocks it had quarantined the executable. What I do not understand is why the short cut destination changed when clicked them. I have never known this to happen before. Anyway, as you said. The answer is outside Code::Blocks.

Thank you again for you patience and (I hope) your understanding.

Can I mark this post as 'Solved' or do you do that.

Cheers

Alan

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 01:27:01 pm »
Thank you again for you patience and (I hope) your understanding.
No problem. You are not he first person in this forum finding out that AV software also sucks. It applies to me, too - some applications I have developed are flagged as viruses regularly. The problem is that due to the many viruses in the world and these nifty new "sensing" and "artificial intelligence" features of AV software, you get more and more false alarms. Especially if you "behave" like a virus. Meaning: You run applications that create new applications that will be run. I am talking about the compilation of an application here, AV software flags this as virus-like. So - as a developer you have to be aware that you will be punished like that many times from now on. I promise. (BTW: I myself switched my AV software every time it got too "intelligent".)

Can I mark this post as 'Solved' or do you do that.
Feel free.

Offline bigal

Re: [Solved] What is Addr2LineUI
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 04:15:21 pm »
What surprises me is that this is the first time that I have ever had any, for the want of a better description, unexpected, problems with that particular AV package. As I said, I have used it for years , and on a lot of machines. Even the version I am currently using is 2011; all the databases are up to date though. Unlike some of the other AVs around it does what it says on the box. It is the main reason I am happy to pay for a commercial product. And believe me I do not do that very often as I am a ardent supporter of open source. I have some physical hardware that forces me to use Windows otherwise I would have been long gone.

Now I can get on with learning “C” which is what I set out to do. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone who uses it and my only college here in Pembrokeshire is not interested unless I want to take a degree course that covers a multitude of things that I am to old to be bothered about and costs a ridiculous amount of cash. It is very hard when you are isolated like this. I'm off to find a good programming forum.

Cheers

Alan