Author Topic: Changing Compilers in Codeblocks  (Read 3195 times)

Bennigan88

Changing Compilers in Codeblocks
« on: December 27, 2012, 08:19:51 pm »
I want to start using Allegro 5.0, but to do that I need to update my mingw32. As far as I can tell, when I downloaded codeblocks it came with mingw 4.4.1, but I want a later version, 4.7. I have googled how to install a new compiler, and I was unable to wade through the muck to get a cogent explanation of how to upgrade the compiler and have it work with codeblocks. I am new to this, and what I really need is either a dumbed down explanation or a link to a dumbe down explanation to replace my mingw 4.4.1 with 4.7 and have it work with codeblocks. Thank you, and sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, I'll gladly move it if directed to.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Changing Compilers in Codeblocks
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:56:40 pm »
Well a good starting point would be to tell what version you need and for what platform.

Maybe also why the current compiler does not work - becasue it usually works just fine. Maybe its not a compiler issue after all?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline herrtool

• Single posting newcomer
Re: Changing Compilers in Codeblocks
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:26:24 pm »
If you've already installed your compiler (I have no experience with Alegro) then by going to Settings menu -> Compiler..., go to the Toolchain Executables tab and make sure it's all set up to point to the new installation directory.

If you're having trouble installing a new mingw compiler you can try TDM GCC (a very good MinGW compiler, if you ask me).  They have binary installers and good C++11 support.  Pretty easy to install and configure for Code::Blocks.