Author Topic: windows install does not reinstall all dll's  (Read 8967 times)

Offline Jewe

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Fit Trainer
windows install does not reinstall all dll's
« on: December 22, 2005, 10:27:06 am »
The windows installer does not reinstall all dll's.

I played with the latest version of cvs and I made an error.
(I got the wrong wxwidgets dll from the net)

So I thought i would install the installation of RC2.
this install how ever did not replace all dll's, there was no messagebox of do yo want to replace or what ever.

This is making my development system unstable, message boxes of I can not load this and that.
(win 2k)

At this moment I am not thrilled to test yet another latest version because there is no easy way back.
if I can just install the old version(stable) back and it work then I love to beta test, especially the wxsmith plugin. :)

kind regards,

Jewe
Anything curved in the hardware can be straighten with software :D
Compiler: mingw IDE: Code::Blocks Nightly WX: 2.8.0

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: windows install does not reinstall all dll's
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 10:33:52 am »
You can install several version next to one another. But then make sure you keep a good overview. ;-)

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 10:42:34 am »
Ow... don't do such things.

You *cannot* mix and match those dlls just like you want. This will not work (except by mere coincidence).

Either, download and install the RC2 version (into an empty directory), or install one of the unofficial builds (into an empty directory).
Never mix plugins or the wxWidgets libraries (or any other libraries) from two releases.

While plugins do have a mechanism to detect incompatibilities (to some extent) and exit cleanly with a message telling you about the problem, wxWidgets has no such thing - your application will simply fail to load with a cryptic Windows message because the loader cannot find the symbols.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 11:23:32 am »
So I thought i would install the installation of RC2.
this install how ever did not replace all dll's, there was no messagebox of do yo want to replace or what ever.

What happened to uninstall first?
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Jewe

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Fit Trainer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 12:02:24 pm »
Ow... don't do such things.

Either, download and install the RC2 version (into an empty directory), or install one of the unofficial builds (into an empty directory).
Never mix plugins or the wxWidgets libraries (or any other libraries) from two releases.

Sorry dude, hope your blood pressure is still fine :D

I could not find any document the describes how to beta test a latest version?
(could be that I mist it.. :))
So i assumed that I had to copy it over the other installed version.
For the sake of registery keys and stuff.

Sorry my mistake :(

Will uninstall the stuff, and install it again.

maybe stupid question, but why don't you create a installation of the unofficial builds?
saves the trouble of getting the correct dll's.

Jewe
Anything curved in the hardware can be straighten with software :D
Compiler: mingw IDE: Code::Blocks Nightly WX: 2.8.0

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 12:16:07 pm »

Sorry my mistake :(

Will uninstall the stuff, and install it again.

maybe stupid question, but why don't you create a installation of the unofficial builds?

Jewe

IMHO, it is a good practice to install official and unofficial realeases into separate empty directories. This avoid confilcts and problems :). I do this and I can run together RC2 and one or more beta versions without any problems.

The only thing I have copy&paste from RC2 to each of my beta are the migw compiler. This worked fine, even if you must be sure not to forget something :wink:.

To create an installation is IMHO not necessary. Download a binary release from Therion or Ceniza, unzip it, run it, configure it and enjoy :D. This works for me. Only recently, it seems (to me) that a dll is missing in the SVN beta from Therion. But I still have to check more carefully.

Michael

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 01:16:09 pm »
If you want to test the latest development version, you best get an inofficial build first (because you cannot build HEAD using RC2), and follow the instructions here:  http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=1701.0

The current version no longer uses the registry. All configuration goes neatly into one file.

We decided against that because the development version is just what its name says... a development version being developed. We would probably get a lot more problems if people were regularly using "officially released" development snapshots, as those likely contain bugs.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."