Author Topic: Configure fails - gtk2 not found (Ubuntu 12.04 with gtk3)  (Read 10365 times)

Offline ihor

• Single posting newcomer
Configure fails - gtk2 not found (Ubuntu 12.04 with gtk3)
« on: December 11, 2012, 05:38:00 pm »
On Ubuntu 12.04 64bit with gtk3 and gtk3-dev installed configure fails on gtk2 with error:

configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.0.0) were not met:
No package 'gtk+-2.0' found

Please advice.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Configure fails - gtk2 not found (Ubuntu 12.04 with gtk3)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 05:40:51 pm »
configure for what fails?

Version of the what is also needed!

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline ihor

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:21:23 pm »

Tim S.

CodeBlocks, svn rev.8647

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 08:30:00 pm »

Tim S.

CodeBlocks, svn rev.8647
And where is the problem ?

Just install the gtk2 dev packages and it's dependencies and it will work.

Offline philcal

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 06:37:37 am »
No it wont - Not for me!
eg >>>>codeblocks: symbol lookup error: codeblocks: undefined symbol:_ZN13cbAuiNotebook7AddPageEP8wxWindowRK8wxStringbRK8wxBitmap

I successfully compiled, make'd and installed Codeblocks using the gtk2 but got the above run time error on [xubuntu 12.10 which uses gtk3].  Note  I  installed gtk2 side by side with the 'original' xubuntu system, something I was hesitant in doing. This followed many hours  of unsuccessfully  trying to compile Codeblocks with gtk3, playing around with configure.in/makefiles  GTK2>3_CFLAGS etc.  I almost got it compiled but got msg such as  error: ‘GdkWindow’ has a previous declaration as ‘typedef struct _GdkDrawable GdkWindow’ Then  I knew I was in trouble.

Obviously this is a gtk2-gtk3  compatibility issue  so perhaps I should not even raise it here.  Further somebody has already resolved it given the  existence of the ubuntu 12.10 codeblocks deb package. However If somebody could give me a hint I would be grateful and may also be useful for users of the popular ubuntu os.

Why am I trying to compile when I already have it installed? Simply the package I used to install did not have the extended plugins for which I understand need to be compiled in. On the face of it this appears to be  not a very flexible arrangement. Much better to have a compiled API in which a non compiled plugin can access -or am I missing something??

Using the deb package version I have noticed that the path selection dialog box for selecting include/tool locations is broken for me.  A directory can be searched OK but the selection is not returned in the dialog properly, only part of a path "/home/x" in my case. I suspect its a system interface issue and not a codeblocks one but given my troubles above may be related. My work around was simply pasting in the paths either in the dialog or directly editing the cbp file.

Tim I see you are still around . Thanks for your help a year ago.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 02:46:12 pm »
From http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/page_port.html

Support for GTK+ 3 is available starting with wxWidgets 2.9.4, use configure option –with-gtk=3 to enable it. It is still under development and may have significant bugs or missing features, and should be considered experimental.

Last I know CB was not stable with wxWidgets 2.9; but, that was about 6 months ago.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 03:22:39 pm »
Obviously this is a gtk2-gtk3  compatibility issue  so perhaps I should not even raise it here.  Further somebody has already resolved it given the  existence of the ubuntu 12.10 codeblocks deb package. However If somebody could give me a hint I would be grateful and may also be useful for users of the popular ubuntu os.
As far as I know gtk2 and gtk3 are meant to be installed together. One is not a replacement for the other.

Why am I trying to compile when I already have it installed? Simply the package I used to install did not have the extended plugins for which I understand need to be compiled in. On the
face of it this appears to be  not a very flexible arrangement. Much better to have a compiled API in which a non compiled plugin can access -or am I missing something??
Have you tried to install the codeblocks-contrib package?

Using the deb package version I have noticed that the path selection dialog box for selecting include/tool locations is broken for me.  A directory can be searched OK but the selection is not returned in the dialog properly, only part of a path "/home/x" in my case. I suspect its a system interface issue and not a codeblocks one but given my troubles above may be related. My work around was simply pasting in the paths either in the dialog or directly editing the cbp file.
This is a wxgtk bug. Report this to your distro maintainers, so they can patch it.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 01:50:27 am »
I just installed a plain xubuntu 12,10 on a virtual machine.
Buiding and installing C::B from sources was straight-forward as on almost all linux distros.
No nuild- or runtime-error.

And it's of course build against gtk2.
Neither wxWidgets 2.8 nor C::B can be build against gtk3 at the moment.
And even wxWidgets trunk does not fully support gtk3.

Offline philcal

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 08:21:59 am »

Thanks Guys
As far as I know gtk2 and gtk3 are meant to be installed together. One is not a replacement for the other.
Understood now, but it did my head in. 

Have you tried to install the codeblocks-contrib package?
My mistake  sorry- must of missed installing the contrib deb   of those ~21 debs  I manually installed (since discovered dpkg -i *.deb rather than double clicking)     and yes I didn't realise the significance, since every thing else other than plugins was  working OK

Now onto my real aim to get embedded arm compiling going.... to another CB forum...