Author Topic: The 12.11 RC1 (11 November 2012 build 8549) is out.  (Read 232431 times)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: The 12.11 RC1 (11 November 2012 build 8549) is out.
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 03:17:26 pm »
My experience with -flto is 2x slowdown, so things aren't stable with support for lto, tried 4.6 and 4.7 on linux.

About the optimizations: Aren't the builds optimized with -O2?

About other compilers: Does VC10 started to support merging L"test" L"test" to L"testtest"?
    If it doesn't C::B won't build and we won't change our code, because this way we will break translations.

Do you have some concrete data to back up the "much faster" statement?
I doubt the difference is more than 10% and on our code you won't notice it, because there aren't too many compute intensive parts.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline xawari

• Multiple posting newcomer
  • programming, usability ctrl
    • welcome to reality
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 04:46:51 pm »
Wow! I can't believe I see those "RC" letters in the title! :)

I have very little time to test @work right now, but my old sticky bug still does exist:

1. Pick "Files" browser panel (left)
2. Try opening some text file (autoexec.bat in my case) by pressing "ENTER".
3. When CB asks wich way to open, choose "inside CB editor"
4. Nothing opens, "Code::Blocks" output window log:
Could not open file ''.
The registered handler (Files extension handler) could not open it.

5. After that, pressing "ENTER" does NOT display "CB open" dialog, but still prints that red error.

I think the KeyPressed() (or something) handler of the file tree control is not calling the same method as MouseDoubleClick().

svn build rev 8549 (2012/11/11 14:17:30) gcc 4.7.1 Windows/unicode - 32 bit
Windows server 2003 5.2 R2 32-bit
Thanks a lot for your work!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:49:03 pm by xawari »
┌──────────────────────────────────────────────────────╖
in another thousand years we'll be machines or gods█
╘══════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2012, 04:50:42 pm »
I presume the release candidate means a feature freeze will soon be (is now?) in effect on the trunk?

I've waited long but besides Scintilla upgrade, bugs #18559 and #18560 are still present.
[...]
http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=18560&group_id=5358
This is actually a feature, not a bug :).  After brace/quote completion, smart tab jump activates.  The caret turns red to let you know of the change in behavior, and the green indicator box shows the target position.  If you press tab while this is active, the caret will jump to the position directly after the green indicator box.  (Very useful when working with nested strings and parenthesis.)
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't know that it was a feature and I filled in as a bug which was accepted. ;) Anyway is there a way to disable that cuz with my theme, colors are quite disturbing?

What about the 'function parameters' bug? I'm asking because I believe it's quite misleading for novices like me, the ones who doesn't use parameter names in function declarations. ;)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2012, 05:07:01 pm »
What about the 'function parameters' bug? I'm asking because I believe it's quite misleading for novices like me, the ones who doesn't use parameter names in function declarations. ;)
Won't be fixed in this release probably (it depends on Ollydbg). But this should serve to you as a hint that you're doing something wrong.  ::) ;D
Getting the two out of sync is not a very good practice, anyway.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2012, 05:17:51 pm »
I just name the ones in function definitions and I can't get CC for these. I know what you mean in regard of the hint but with this bug present I think it's quite dangerous to try to name both. Besides this, can the function hints be adjusted to show function definitions instead of function declarations?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2012, 05:18:46 pm »
I guess this will be the same as fixing the bug:)

Offline Dreamy

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2012, 09:23:37 pm »
I'd like to ask if, when reaching another release, will the logo and possibly icons get upgraded as Alpha proposed some time ago. It might need some polishing, but I think some redesign might bring the release some shine. Anything may do just fine, just please no metro style.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2012, 09:36:58 pm »
No icon change I think, but we have one killer feature which we won't tell you about it, but it will be the best thing in this release and people won't forget it.

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2012, 11:03:30 pm »
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't know that it was a feature and I filled in as a bug which was accepted. ;) Anyway is there a way to disable that cuz with my theme, colors are quite disturbing?
The only way to disable (currently) is to modify some code.  The initialization is here:
sdk/cbstyledtextctrl.cpp, line: 243
Code
            if (index != wxNOT_FOUND && (wxChar)GetCharAt(GetCurrentPos()) == s_rightBrace.GetChar(index))
            {
                const int pos = GetCurrentPos();
                if (pos != wxSCI_INVALID_POSITION)
                {
                    m_tabSmartJump = true;
                    m_bracePosition = pos;
                }
            }

If you just want different colors, they have been hard-coded here:
sdk/cbstyledtextctrl.cpp, line: 430
Code
            if (s_rightBrace.Contains(cur))
            {
                SetCaretForeground(wxColour(255, 0, 0));
                SetCaretWidth(caretWidth + 1);

IndicatorSetForeground(s_indicHighlight, wxColour(80, 236, 120));
                IndicatorSetStyle(s_indicHighlight, wxSCI_INDIC_HIGHLIGHT);
#ifndef wxHAVE_RAW_BITMAP
                IndicatorSetUnder(s_indicHighlight, true);
#endif
                SetIndicatorCurrent(s_indicHighlight);
                IndicatorFillRange(pos, 1);
                m_bracePosition = pos + 1;
                return;
            }

Making these settings configurable would not be that difficult, just no one has yet had the motivation to do it.

No icon change I think [...]
I agree that the icons probably should not be changed (unless Code::Blocks wants to go through a complete graphics makeover...), but I think some of the icons should be swapped with higher quality (but still similarly themed) versions.  (Installing Code::Blocks on newer Windows machines looks rather bad with larger icon sizes.)  In a few days, I will have a package of icons (probably mostly just what I posted last time) that I will recommend be considered.

With regards to the logo, I presume there will be a splash contest soon :).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 02:12:46 am by Alpha »

stefanos_

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2012, 09:07:55 am »
Question: Why CodeBlocks_wx29.workspace compiles successfully, but upon running it CodeBlocks.exe crashes immediately? Am I doing something wrong that causes the crash? I have been trying to do this for ages now.

For some reason, after run it with gdb it complains about this:
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x6e303042 in wxmsw294u_gcc_custom!_ZN12wxDropTarget6RevokeEP6HWND__ ()

I have installed the latest TDM's GCC (4.7.1), and recompiled both wxMSW-2.8.12 and wxWidgets-2.9.4 with this new compiler under Windows XP SP3 using the same arguments. Is it wrong to do so with 2.9.x? If yes, please advice, thank you.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2012, 09:15:06 am »
Is it wrong to do so with 2.9.x? If yes, please advice, thank you.
Make sure you ran update29 afterwards.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

stefanos_

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2012, 02:55:45 pm »
Is it wrong to do so with 2.9.x? If yes, please advice, thank you.
Make sure you ran update29 afterwards.

Of course I run this batch file, how else would I generate my files? :)

At first, I thought it was the STC case which I forgot to switch off from setup.h file, but now that I did so, it still crashes :/ I will try the normal workspace and let you know again if something's wrong with this build too.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2012, 03:20:12 pm »
At first, I thought it was the STC case which I forgot to switch off from setup.h file, but now that I did so, it still crashes :/ I will try the normal workspace and let you know again if something's wrong with this build too.
Make sure you do a full clean before, maybe a fresh checkout. For me, it works.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2012, 04:05:03 pm »
Wow! I can't believe I see those "RC" letters in the title! :)

I have very little time to test @work right now, but my old sticky bug still does exist:

1. Pick "Files" browser panel (left)

I think the KeyPressed() (or something) handler of the file tree control is not calling the same method as MouseDoubleClick().

That sounds familiar. Will try to take a look at this soon. Almost surely won't get fixed before next release, but it is a plugin so could be updated and installed separately.

Offline White-Tiger

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2012, 02:39:34 am »
may I ask where the Code Completion determines it's include search dir? As I've got a problem with Cross-Platform builds^^ The project's compiler is set to MinGW, but my Linux target uses the Cygwin cross-compiler, still the CC finds my MinGW one... only when I change the projects main compiler to Cygwin I'll get the right includes :( (after CC finished parsing)
I can live with wrong syntax highlighting which guesses that  _WIN32 is defined, (would be good if I could change the platform defines :P or force Codeblocks to use the GNU/Linux one) but I cant live with wrong CC as I have to manually search for and open the header file that defines something... Switching the main / project compiler is a work around.. but it's still annoying^^ (ok... I believe that the wrong include path isn't the only problem... maybe CC only remembers includes for the entire project and not target/compiler... thus I'm doomed either way Oo)

Code::Blocks doesn't seem to be suited for cross-platform at all xD First problem I've encountered was that when a target is for example Linux only, I can't find it using Windows... which is to one point correct, as I'm normally not able to compile that... but on the other side, I'm not even able to edit defines, compile options and that like... I have to do that by using Notepad2 "directly" on the project file which is rather annoying^^

P.S. I've already set my Linux cross-compile target to use only it's target options.. so CC doesn't recognize that as well^^
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 02:41:28 am by White-Tiger »
Windoze 8.1 x86_64 16GiB RAM, wxWidgets-2.8x (latest,trunk), MinGW-builds (latest, posix-threads)
Code::Blocks (x86 , latest , selection length patch , build option fixes/additions , toggle comments)