Author Topic: The 28 October 2012 build (8484) is out.  (Read 116632 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
The 28 October 2012 build (8484) is out.
« on: October 28, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »
Get quick announcements through the RSS feed http://www.codeblocks.org/nightly/CodeBlock_RSS.xml

Before you use a nightly make sure you understand how it works.

A link to the unicode windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw28u_gcc_cb_wx2812_gcc471-TDM.7z

For those who might need this one (when no MingW installed on your system) : the mingw10m.dll : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/mingwm10_gcc471-TDM.7z

The 28 October 2012 build is out.
  - Windows :
   http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20121028_rev8484_win32.7z
  - Linux :
   none

Resolved Fixed:

• updated batch file based build system
  • show the project file's base path in project file properties
  • have an option to use plain scintilla markers for debugging, too

Regressions/Confirmed/Annoying/Common bugs:

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
    • Lives here!
    Re: The 28 October 2012 build (8484) is out.
    « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 02:08:27 pm »
    IMPORTANT : from this build on, CB is build with TDM-GCC 4.7.1 ==> re-download the wx and mingwm10 DLLs

Offline DMichael

• Single posting newcomer
    « Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 02:20:31 pm »
    thx for this wonderfull update;)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
    • Lives here!
    « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 02:49:13 pm »
    A link to the unicode windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw28u_gcc_cb_wx2812_gcc471-TDM.7z
    For those who might need this one (when no MingW installed on your system) : the mingw10m.dll : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/mingwm10_gcc471-TDM.7z
    Maybe we should also provide the updated exchndl.dll now for the nightlies with this compiler version...?!
    Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
    C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
    C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
    • Lives here!
    « Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 03:16:06 pm »
    yep, after the project is enabled again, will we always ship it in every nightly zip ? I guess so ?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
    • Lives here!
    « Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 07:45:42 pm »
    yep, after the project is enabled again, will we always ship it in every nightly zip ? I guess so ?
    I think like mingw10.dll you#ll need to proveice this only, if the compiler changes.

You just have to select the target "exchndl" in de codeblocks.cbp file explicitly and hit "build". That's it. Its not in the default build, as it is not a member of the virtual target "All".
    Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
    C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
    C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
    « Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 10:12:11 pm »
    IMPORTANT : from this build on, CB is build with TDM-GCC 4.7.1 ==> re-download the wx and mingwm10 DLLs

What?  I didn't quite hear you.. ;)

Awesome, a compiler update underneath will help people like myself who are building SVN's on systems which have very new GCCs.  Right now my system GCC (Arch Linux) is sitting at 4.7.2.  Source compatibility with emerging GCCs will no doubt be improved going forward.  Code::Blocks did build fine previously, and still does, but needs a bit of -fpermissive love.  With new builds being done with new GCCs I would hope that when I'm using GCC 4.8.0 that CB will still compile gracefully. :)
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:21:17 pm by headkase »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
    • Lives here!
    « Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 10:22:05 pm »
    C::B should compile without -fpermissive, at least with gcc 4.7.1 .

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
    « Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 10:54:23 pm »
    C::B should compile without -fpermissive, at least with gcc 4.7.1 .

Sorry it took a little bit to get back to you.  I had to compile C::B from source without -fpermissive and see what happened.  It works, with GCC 4.7.2 even.  -fpermissive definitely was needed at one time - I ran into it myself - as squirrel would error out on compile without it.  I believe this was back with GCC 4.7.0.  The build script we've been using in Arch Linux has had -fpermissive for quite a while now, I dropped a note indicating that it is no longer necessary:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=18493

First comment.  So, when the maintainer of that package gets the message and tries it himself and confirms then that'll be updated.

Thank you for the heads-up! :D

Edit, by the way: that package is listed as 7957 - that is just the last time the script was updated, it always pulls in the latest SVN when you build it.
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:57:42 pm by headkase »

Offline and4cb

• Multiple posting newcomer
    « Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 11:05:24 pm »
    I am new, and am still unclear as to what folder I should be extracting the "nightly" zipped files to.  Should I extract the  
    CB_20121028_rev8484_win32.7z  and  wxmsw28u_gcc_cb_wx2812_gcc471-TDM.7z  files to my C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks folder?
    If I originally used the codeblocks-10.05mingw-setup.exe to install CodeBlocks to begin with, do I need the mingwm10_gcc471-TDM.7z file?
    I thank you for your help.

OS = Vista Home Premium; Coding Language: C; CB Version = SVN 10122; Compiler = MinGW32 gcc 4.7.1 Windows/unicode - 32 bit; Debugger name and version: GNU gdb (GDB) 7.5

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
    « Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 11:20:49 pm »
    I am new, and am still unclear as to what folder I should be extracting the "nightly" zipped files to.  Should I extract the  
    CB_20121028_rev8484_win32.7z  and  wxmsw28u_gcc_cb_wx2812_gcc471-TDM.7z  files to my C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks folder?
    If I originally used the codeblocks-10.05mingw-setup.exe to install CodeBlocks to begin with, do I need the mingwm10_gcc471-TDM.7z file?
    I thank you for your help.

You should uninstall codeblocks-10.05-mingw-setup unless you plan to use it as well as a nightly.  Uninstalling it is optional.

Unzip the nightly, the wx dll, and the mingwm10 dll to the same folder.  Do not reuse any other folder, create a new folder and put the files from all three archives into that new folder.

You will also need a compiler to go with the nightly.  The 10.05 version you have includes a compiler but the nightlies do not.

Get a compiler here: http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/

Then extract that so the path to it is C:\mingw

Then when you run the nightly under

Settings -> Compiler -> Toolchain executables

Put the path to C:\mingw\bin

And then click "auto-detect"  You may have to exit the nightly and restart it before auto detect works correctly.

When you get a confirmation message then you are set up to go with the nightly.

Edit, also if you use the nightly you probably shouldn't use 10.05 as they will probably step on each others configuration files which are in a shared folder within your user folder.
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 11:28:19 pm by headkase »

Offline and4cb

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 12:07:11 am »
    Thank you, headkase.  I have uninstalled the 10.05.  I put the nightly, wx dll, and the mingwm10 dll into the following folder:
    C:\CodeBlocksNightly.  I ran the tdm-gcc-4.7.1-2.exe program and installed the gcc to C:\MinGW.  The debugging process failed.  What is the best link to download a debugger that will work with this new nightly?
    OS = Vista Home Premium; Coding Language: C; CB Version = SVN 10122; Compiler = MinGW32 gcc 4.7.1 Windows/unicode - 32 bit; Debugger name and version: GNU gdb (GDB) 7.5

Offline and4cb

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 12:16:00 am »
    UPDATE:  Please let me know what I am doing wrong.  I now see that I have gdb 7.5 in my c:\MinGW folder, but when I run the debugger on the following program:
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>

int main()
    {
        printf("Hello world!\n");
        return 0;
    }

I receive this message:
    Building to ensure sources are up-to-date
    Selecting target:
    Debug
    Adding source dir: C:\Code\test5\
    Adding source dir: C:\Code\test5\
    Adding file: C:\Code\test5\bin\Debug\test5.exe
    Changing directory to: C:/Code/test5/.
    Set variable: PATH=.;C:\MinGW\bin;C:\MinGW;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Windows\System32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\wbem;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\DLLShared;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\DivX Shared;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\MinGW32\bin

[debug]Command-line: C:\MinGW32\bin\gdb.exe -nx -fullname  -quiet  -args C:/Code/test5/bin/Debug/test5.exe
    [debug]Working dir : C:\Code\test5

Starting debugger: C:\MinGW32\bin\gdb.exe -nx -fullname  -quiet  -args C:/Code/test5/bin/Debug/test5.exe
    failed

Offline headkase

• Almost regular
    « Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 12:17:33 am »
    Thank you, headkase.  I have uninstalled the 10.05.  I put the nightly, wx dll, and the mingwm10 dll into the following folder:
    C:\CodeBlocksNightly.  I ran the tdm-gcc-4.7.1-2.exe program and installed the gcc to C:\MinGW.  The debugging process failed.  What is the best link to download a debugger that will work with this new nightly?

The debugger should be included with TDM-GCC.  It is called GDB.  It should just work - especially if the auto detect was successful.  If you are using a project you built using 10.05 then try to completely rebuild it.  The two blue arrows pointing to each other in a circle-form icon.  If you have old object files from a previous compiler then that is a possible cause.

If that is not successful then I'm not sure what the cause could be without being at your computer and trying to randomly delete all your files.. ;)

Edit: you also have references in your path to BOTH C:\mingw AND C:\mingw32

So, you probably want to clean out the one you aren't using.

Edit too, and also you say you put TDM-GCC in mingw but your are debugging with mingw32.
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:22:45 am by headkase »

Offline and4cb

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 01:09:51 am »
    Thank you, again, headkase.  The debugging failure was due to the MinGW vs MinGW32 issue.  The TDM-GCC wanted to use MinGW32, but you had said to use MinGW, so I did a rename after the install, but I could not figure out how to get C::B to pay attention to the new folder name for gdb.
    I am able to run the debugger now, so I will continue my question about the missing focus arrow in the topic:  Debugging arrow for current location is missing.

Thank you again, so much for your quick responses, and excellent help.