Author Topic: Debugging arrow for current location is missing  (Read 7300 times)

Offline and4cb

• Multiple posting newcomer
Debugging arrow for current location is missing
« on: October 25, 2012, 07:04:57 am »
OS = Vista Home Premium
CB Version = Release 10.05 rev 6283
Compiler = MinGW 4.4.1
GDB 6.3-2
Coding Language: C

Hello.  I am new to Code::Blocks, and I installed the whole 10.05 package that included the compiler and debugger in March 2012 (codeblocks-10.05mingw-setup.exe).
I understand that there is supposed to be an arrow marking the current location when the debugger is run, moving down each time I select either Next Line or Next Instruction, etc.
But when I run the debugger, I never see the arrow that is supposed to mark the current line (current location).
I could not find the original GDB version number to include in this post, so I installed just installed GDB 6.3-2; there is no noticeable change -- the arrow still does not appear.
How can I get the arrow to show up?  Am I doomed to not have the arrow because I am using Vista?
Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
OS = Vista Home Premium; Coding Language: C; CB Version = SVN 10122; Compiler = MinGW32 gcc 4.7.1 Windows/unicode - 32 bit; Debugger name and version: GNU gdb (GDB) 7.5

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: Debugging arrow for current location is missing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 07:16:34 am »
CB Version = Release 10.05 rev 6283
Please use a C::B nightly build version.
GDB 6.3-2
Please use a more recent gdb version, which is gdb 7.5.

If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline and4cb

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 02:35:23 am »
Thank you for your reply, ollydgb.
I installed the "nightly" from 10/23/2012 and the 7.5 gdb as you suggested, and I get the focus arrow only sometimes.
When I "step into" a function call that returns void, such as:
Initialize();
... the file containing that function opens and the focus arrow moves to the appropriate line.
However, when I "step into" a function that returns an int to main(), such as:
cnt = func1(num);
... the file containing that function does not open.  Even if I open the file manually, the focus arrow does not show up in this function.
Please let me know if you have an idea as to what I am doing wrong in C::B.
Again, thank you.
OS = Vista Home Premium; Coding Language: C; CB Version = SVN 10122; Compiler = MinGW32 gcc 4.7.1 Windows/unicode - 32 bit; Debugger name and version: GNU gdb (GDB) 7.5

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 03:03:39 pm »
When I "step into" a function call that returns void, such as:
Initialize();
... the file containing that function opens and the focus arrow moves to the appropriate line.
However, when I "step into" a function that returns an int to main(), such as:
cnt = func1(num);
... the file containing that function does not open. 
Sample code please, I think you should tell use how to reproduce this problem. (Tell us step by step)
Also, please enable the full debugger plugin log, and post the log message here.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline and4cb

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 03:59:24 am »
The missing arrow is back for now.  Thank you for your help.  The time consuming solution was to make a new project in the new version of C::B (newest Nightly used), then to make a new file in that new project for each of my code files.  The result is that the debugger and C::B are no longer ignoring some of my code files.

Thank you again for your kind assistance.