Author Topic: VERSIONINFO editor  (Read 6669 times)

Offline eranon

• Almost regular
VERSIONINFO editor
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »
What resource editor do you use to edit the VERSIONINFO of your apps (except writing it by hand) ? Do you know about a good one which would be dedicated to the VERSIONINFO structure (ie. not a general resource editor) ? Do you bind-it through the C::B Tools Plus feature ? What about the autoversioning plugin ? Do you use-it ? Could it be used just to generate/edit the VERSIONINFO without any auto-increment ?

Well, as you see, a lot of question around VERSIONINFO and C::B environment :)
[Independent dev. - wxWidgets 3.0.0 under "Win 7 Pro 64-bit, C::B SVN 9435 & wxSmith, TDM64-GCC 4.7 & MSVC9" + "OS X 10.8, FSF GCC 4.7 & C::B SVN 8909"]

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: VERSIONINFO editor
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 10:17:03 pm »
VERSIONINFO? Probably people use a text editor to edit the resource file and then c::b compiles it auto-magically into the executable.

Probably this gives and explanation: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ-Compiling_%28general%29#Q:_How_do_I_add_version_information_to_windows_executables_and_dll.27s.3F
but you've given so little information about your problem and my magic ball is out of manna, sorry.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline eranon

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 12:10:00 am »
Ha ha, I've not any problem, Obfuscated : so, I can't give any detail of a no-problem event ;D No, my message is a preventive one, preparing my environment from the point I'll be to build final release (w/ proper VERSIONINFO inside) ; at this time, I'm in dev stage and don't worry about presence of VERSIONINFO or not... So, noted your own way : by hand !

I'll certainly take a try on test project with autoversioning to see its behavior : from what I've understood it generates the VERSIONINFO info, but also code to use these infos in source code too (for example in about-box)... Or I've misunderstood ?
[Independent dev. - wxWidgets 3.0.0 under "Win 7 Pro 64-bit, C::B SVN 9435 & wxSmith, TDM64-GCC 4.7 & MSVC9" + "OS X 10.8, FSF GCC 4.7 & C::B SVN 8909"]

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 12:18:35 am »
eanon: Keep in mind that there are people running linux or that have never known what VERSIONINFO is.
So please try to provide more info, especially cb version and os info, this way people not your platform can skip the whole post and so you won't waste their time.
Asking good questions increases your chance of getting good answer, just a note.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 06:50:41 am »
What resource editor do you use to edit the VERSIONINFO of your apps (except writing it by hand) ?
Why would you need a tool here? The template provided by Microsoft should be more than enough. I also recall a template somewhere in our forum or WiKi. In the end you may change 1-2 options, the year and version from time to time. Using #define's you can even trigger between release and debug version info, if you like. For me, I did in once and now using the same resource in all projects which causes no hassle at all. I don't really see the need for a GUI where you can change 1-3 options more easy. However, you can embed any third party tool that has a GUI to edit these kind of files yourself using the tools menu. I wouldn't wonder if RadASM has such... This looks more convenient that writing such a component ourselves.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 07:07:16 am »
...checking out the resources I know it turns out to be very simple:
- Download "ResEd" (from the makers of RadASM as it seems): http://radasm.cherrytree.at/ -> http://radasm.cherrytree.at/download/?category=18
- Embed it as Code::Blocks tool
- Launch this to create VERSIONINFO resources with a GUI (see image attached).
Done.

So as I had guessed: There is no need to re-invent the wheel here. Of course you can, if you want to...
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline eranon

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 03:51:28 pm »
@Obfuscated : my entire environment is described in my signature : "Main env. : Win. 7 Pro, Code::Blocks SVN 8248 w/ wxSmith, TDM-GCC 4.6.1 & MSVC9, wxWidgets 2.9.3".

And about cross-platform : even if Linux and OSX don't know VERSIONINFO (thanks about OSX, I didn't know ; I'm new in OSX and simple user in Linux until now), you can reuse these info and display them in about-box, whatever be the OS. So, this VERSIONINFO is OS-independent in a certain aspect (just a structure in a resource that you can use the way you want). My question was not Windows specific !

@Morten : of course, by hand is a way... My question was to be aware of the usual of anybody : so, 2 votes for "by hand" way :)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 04:57:59 pm »
@Obfuscated : my entire environment is described in my signature : "Main env. : Win. 7 Pro, Code::Blocks SVN 8248 w/ wxSmith, TDM-GCC 4.6.1 & MSVC9, wxWidgets 2.9.3".
Obviously it has been ignored by my eyes.

Offline eranon

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 05:17:39 pm »
Don't worry, Obfuscated, I'm too, often, on another planet... We're not a machines ;D

Well, I'm taking a look at AutoVersioning plugin to maintain VERSIONINFO and associated version.h... And I hesitate : it seems interesting (and more from the point it seems to deal with SVN too), but on another side I wonder if I want to loose control (let a tool manages things for me). Maybe your testimonials could convince me to go with or without... Do you use-it ? What the pros and cons from your point of view ?

-
EDIT : tried autoversioning plugin for real on a test project and don't see any VERSIONINFO in the .rc of the project, after first compile. So I've maybe misunderstood and it only generates verion.h from which you can base a manually written VERSIONINFO... No time to see deeper right now.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:37:53 pm by eanon »