Author Topic: Changing UI language.  (Read 24043 times)

Offline Paul_Wortmann

• Single posting newcomer
    • PhysHex Games
Changing UI language.
« on: July 26, 2012, 01:11:21 pm »
I am in need of changing the default language of Code::Blocks.
The menus etc. are all in English, I have searched for a setting to change the language, but cant find it anywhere. (I also searched the forums)
Not actually sure if it is possible to change the default language from English?
Does Code::Blocks get the language from the locale of my windows installation?

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
Re: Changing UI language.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 07:25:42 pm »
Does Code::Blocks get the language from the locale of my windows installation?
No, it doesn't.
Changing the UI language is done by providing a specific file containing the translation of each character chain. You can find some information there : http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,1022.0.html
I provided myself a translation file for French and a set of tools to help for this job by preparing the work for poedit, the tool used for translating. But, if you don't find a .mo file already made for the specific language you need, you'll have to built it by yourself. It's not difficult, but it's quite long to do. Nevertheless, it's not necessary to translate everything. You can begin the work by translating only a few ones, those in the main interface, and progressively increase it. There was also a web site launchpad a few years ago where a C::B translation was available, but it's no longer maintained so very very outdated. But, it could be a starting point too.

Good luck.

Gd
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:30:00 pm by gd_on »
Windows 11 64 bits (23H2), svn C::B (last version or almost!), wxWidgets 3.2.4 (tests with 3.3), Msys2 Compilers 13.2.0, 64 bits (seh, posix : gcc, g++ and gfortran in C:\msys64\mingw64) or 32 bits (dwarf2, posix  in C:\msys64\mingw32).

Offline Paul_Wortmann

• Single posting newcomer
    • PhysHex Games
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 04:49:41 pm »
Thank you Gd!
The link you provided set me off in all the right directions.
I found the latest .pot file and could translate what I need.  There are quite a few strings in there!
The last time I used poedit was about a year back when I translated a FOSS game, and for my own personal projects.
The translation is pretty straight forward, but getting it to work with Code::Blocks...now that looks rather difficult!
This seams outdated?... http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Internationalization
The launchpad site: https://translations.launchpad.net/codeblocks
I am a little surprised that Code::Blocks does not easily support multiple languages by default. (O_o)
It appears less painful to just use Code::Blocks in English than it is to change the language....
Thanks again Gd. :D

zabzonk

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 05:46:56 pm »
Arguably, programmers should program only in English, using English language toolsets. I've worked in several European countries, and that's what all the teams I've worked with did. Working in English has lots of advantages - you can  post coding questions easily, you can google for error messages and get better results, and you can hire people from different countries. If you are not programming in English and/or not using English language tools, I have to ask - why?

Note this does not mean that your applications textual resources must be in English - obviously  they should be in the language of your end-users.

borneo777

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 08:37:05 pm »
I had a similar problem. All my comments were underlined in red. But I found button in the right-down corner of the screen and that was the way to change the language of comments to my own.