Author Topic: Codeblocks and Fsecure Firewall.  (Read 16211 times)

Keawon

Codeblocks and Fsecure Firewall.
« on: July 02, 2012, 07:28:40 pm »
I just started to learn c++ and use Codeblocks on my computer Win 7 64b. When i hit the Build&Run or Run, Fsecure pops up and warned me about virus and removes the .exe file. Do anyone know how I allow it to get thru? Codeblocks is allowed but not the .exe file it creats. Thanks in advanced /Jimmy

Offline ouch

• Almost regular
Re: Codeblocks and Fsecure Firewall.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 07:38:41 pm »
Never heard of that anti-virus before. But any decent anti-virus will allow you to set directories to ignore.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 11:11:19 am »
<humor>As a workaround, you can install Kaspersky 2012 instead. It will not only make compilation 75% slower, but also make your computer fully unusable after a week or so, because it then starts popping up threat alerts not only for programs that you compile, but also for Code::Blocks itself, the MinGW compiler, and pretty much every other thing on your computer.</humor>

F-Secure is actually known to be a rather good product, but its still a good idea to turn off live scanning, either alltogether or at least on the drives (or folders) where your IDE, your compiler, and your sources live. Live scanning, in summary, regardless of vendor, is crap. I've never seen one that actually works well and does not annoy you with a million false alerts. You can only choose between "does not work with low performance impact" and "does not work with heavy performance impact", so my recommendation is to just disable it alltogether. Enable a firewall, don't download [censored] (the hell, why am I'm being censored?) and cracks, and scan every file you download and every USB stick you plug in, no exceptions. You won't need live scanning then.

It is of course, in principle, possible that your compiler contains malware and thus your compiled programs indeed contain a virus, but I should seriously hope that this is not the case (because I'm using the same compiler!).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 01:20:03 pm »
FWIW: I had the same kind of issues with Avira that complained my self-compiled exe's would be viruses and Comodo that complains about nearly each compiler (MSVC and/or MinGW) for being virus-like, which 100% not the case on my PC.

Usually I end up with excluding my developer tools form scanning, because A/V solutions tend to be very aggressive these days. BTW: My last new computer shipped with McAfee which didn't even allow you to decide if ld.exe is a virus but just deleted it. Surely this was the #1 application I un-installed and will never try again.

So in the end this is a common false alarm if you are a dev and using dev-tools as they behave like viruses some times (creating temporary files, creating executables, modifying executables, deleting executables / libraries etc...). I guess you have to live with it and configure the A/V software accordingly.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ