Author Topic: Display driver stopped responding  (Read 9408 times)

Offline gggorillaz

• Single posting newcomer
Display driver stopped responding
« on: May 04, 2012, 05:06:34 am »
I've been using Code::Blocks for about 2 months now without problems, but on my most recent project, whenever I try to compile and run my code (using f9 hotkey) code::blocks freezes for a few seconds and then my screen restarts and I get an error message icon in my doc that says "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows 7(R) stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I cant get more information than that off the doc, and googling any sort of similar problems has been pretty futile so far (as this problem occurs with a number of errrors not relating to code::blocks).

The code I'm working with has 2 .h files (one for a binary search tree class and the other is for student records) and 3 .cxx files (one implements the student_record functions, one constructs a student_database, and the last is a test file for my code).  When I remove the test file from my project, i stop receiving the driver error, but it was working fine earlier and I hadn't made any changes to it.

I've tried restarting my computer (which didn't fix it) and compiling and running (f9) a really basic cout << "hello world" source code which seemed to work fine, but the code I'm working on has a deadline so I'm trying to get it fixed soon.

I can give any more information that would help diagnose the problem, just ask me what you need to see. If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it. Also, I'm new to the forums so please tell me if im in the wrong place (and yes, I've read the rules).

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: Display driver stopped responding
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 05:55:43 am »
I get an error message icon in my doc that says "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows 7(R) stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
Where is this message? Is it shown in a MessageBox? or some other place?
Which version of Codeblocks did you use?
The problem happens only in your computer or your own system?
Which version of C::B did you use? Can you try a nightly build version? or Are there any nightly build version which works OK?
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline gggorillaz

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 07:09:00 am »
The message appears on my taskbar right next to the "show hidden icons" carrot. It's shown inside of a usual windows message box that kind of pops out of the taskbar (i said doc earlier, i think i was thinking of a mac for some reason >.>)   Im using Code::Blocks 10.05. I can't try it on another system because the group im working with is using macs.  Im not really sure what a nightly build version is, so maybe?

Also, when I removed the test.cxx file from my project, the driver stops crashing whenever I build it, which makes me think my code is defective (I know it already contains a massive amount of errors), and therefore im probably in the wrong place to be asking for help.  I am curious why it's crashing my driver when all im trying to do is run/implement a simple binary search tree algorithm. Also, i dont know if I made it clear earlier, but after the driver crashes, C::B is still running and giving me the list of compiler errors that I should be getting.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:14:59 am »
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).

Offline gggorillaz

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 07:49:53 am »
So are you thinking that a Nightly version of C::B would likely fix my problem? After compiling/running the code a few more times (I was trying to just edit out some silly errors) I noticed that the display driver crashed only about 50% of the time and when it did there was a lot of unorganized red code in the build messages area right before the screen reset itself. Afterwards it looked like normal compiler errors. Ill give the nightly builds a try soon.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 07:54:32 am »
So are you thinking that a Nightly version of C::B would likely fix my problem?
No, I'm not sure. It looks like it is related to your compiler or your file system. Mostly, I don't think it is related to C::B. :)

Offline gggorillaz

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 08:45:42 am »
Ok, do you have any advice for me to try and diagnose exactly what's going on (so far google hasn't been much help)? I know i haven't really given enough information about my problem to tell me exactly what to do, but I just dont want to have this happen to me again on a different project.  Maybe re-installing certain programs?

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 08:54:17 am »
Ok, do you have any advice for me to try and diagnose exactly what's going on (so far google hasn't been much help)?
Sorry, I can't give your further help.  :)
I don't have such issue.

Offline Freem

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 09:41:24 am »
I do not know if this is still true on recent windows, but there is a log system you can check to have some more info.
Configuration panel, administration tools and events watcher in english, I guess.

But for messages in that, I will not be able to help, google will be better than me, and it is not really the subject of that forum.
Hope it'll help.

Offline gggorillaz

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 10:04:52 am »
Ok, thanks for the help!

Offline jarod42

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 10:16:43 am »
Sometime, when a program uses a lot of CPU without some "pauses",
Windows considers the program is not responding. And I see problem similar to yours with other program.

Offline reckless

• Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 10:58:19 am »
Those are called timeout detection recovery errors.
Many things can cause those and the cause can generally be a pain to find (took me 3 years to find the reason on my pc).
Things known to cause them are.
Firefox "from version 8".
Flash player "from version 10".
Power saving features like on my mainboard, green power "MSI".

Many more but you get the picture ;)